Island Princess Cruises “unavailable”

CruzR887

Hi - you wrote you are currently sailing on the Island Princess. We are on the August 12th trip and have not been on this specific ship. Can you tell us about the shows, staff (are there enough support staff), food - or anything that might be interesting? We love the Gigi's/alfredo's on other ships...as well as the international cafe. What's the deal on the Island? We also have a free specialty restaurant night - any suggestions?

We are booked on the mid ship 9th floor - how do the rooms, carpeting, beds look as the ship has just gone back into service.

Will love hearing back from you.

Joyce

Just now, paulandjoyce said:

Hi - you wrote you are currently sailing on the Island Princess. We are on the August 12th trip and have not been on this specific ship. Can you tell us about the shows, staff (are there enough support staff), food - or anything that might be interesting? We love the Gigi's/alfredo's on other ships...as well as the international cafe. What's the deal on the Island? We also have a free specialty restaurant night - any suggestions?

We are booked on the mid ship 9th floor - how do the rooms, carpeting, beds look as the ship has just gone back into service.

Joyce

You really should start a new post asking for this information.

• Like 1

On 5/25/2022 at 7:22 PM, paulandjoyce said:

Joyce

Staff seems a bit short, and my steward last week seemed particularly addled-- when you need to drop off messages in a room with DND, just shove it under the door... No need to call to say there're messages... MDR reservations have been a hellscape. Service desk staff have been making fundamental errors (kept adjusting stuff on the wrong accounts!). 

No international Cafe (and by extension, no 24/7 food). No Alfredo's, but Sabatini's has pizza for lunch... Sometimes. Still never made my way to it when it open. 

Shows tend to be small scale ones... Allegedly, one of the comedians did their very first show last voyage. I think there was only one full-scale production show. (Maybe two?) 

I'd recommend La Bayou, on the grounds only Coral(?) and the Island have it. Sabatini's is available elsewhere, though they changed up their plating here. They both were, uh, lackluster, though. (And, judging from what I've seen other people say, I tend to be fairly generous in my assessments.) 

There's been a litany of issues, mostly things that would probably have been ironed out after a few weeks in service, for passengers to find and report them for fixing... But one I doubt they can do much about is I heard reports of a lot of nonfunctional safes.

Aft port 8 was the quarantine ward last voyage... Heard 20 people were debarked for quarantine at a single hotel this turnaround. 

Edited by Cuedon
  • Thanks 2

Thanks so much for the update! strange about the safes not working. 

It's really good if people complain and get things fixed.

Sabetini's was not great on the Enchanted - nor was the crown grill...on the enchanted or the regal. We will try the Bayou - on your recommendation, but not blame you when the meal is not great LOL!

If not international cafe, where do you go for coffee and small snacks? Is there a main atrium where there is some food and a place to listen to music, etc.?

Well, 20 people is 10 covid couples - I'm guessing not so awful for a couple of thousand on the ship. Who knew we would be so lucky, in early December, the Enchanted had no covid. We never knew for sure in February, what was on the Regal.

Did the ship look nice and clean????

2 hours ago, paulandjoyce said:

Thanks so much for the update! strange about the safes not working. 

It's really good if people complain and get things fixed.

Sabetini's was not great on the Enchanted - nor was the crown grill...on the enchanted or the regal. We will try the Bayou - on your recommendation, but not blame you when the meal is not great LOL!

If not international cafe, where do you go for coffee and small snacks? Is there a main atrium where there is some food and a place to listen to music, etc.?

Well, 20 people is 10 covid couples - I'm guessing not so awful for a couple of thousand on the ship. Who knew we would be so lucky, in early December, the Enchanted had no covid. We never knew for sure in February, what was on the Regal.

Did the ship look nice and clean????

It's mostly that La Bayou has a distinct menu that, barring its sister ship, has items unavailable anywhere else on the line. It's also the premium steakhouse (allegedly), so... yeah...

The buffet is open until 10PM, and the Lido pizza's open until 11PM, so I mostly grab random piles of stuff from there and keep it in my room for late night/early morning food. Room service is also available. A lot of the bars have espresso machines (as opposed to there being only a few on ships that have an International Cafe), so you can get your premium coffees there. There's also a bakery/pastry-ish area at the front of Lido, capping off the buffet.

The main atrium on this ship is four floors, has Good Spirits, at least one other bar, the service desk, both MDRs, and has entrances directly to the library, internet cafe, and whatever the smoking lounge on this one is. (I don't think it was labelled Churchill's, but I could be mistaken.) 

I don't know if there were more people dispatched to other hotels-- that was just to the one hotel that had people that was part of the mega-party that I had met. 

We liked the good spirits bar on the other ships...cute sort of "show" when they made drinks at certain times of the day. If they have espresso machines there, guess we could run to the lido and grab the pastries. A shame no international cafe to also go for a light late breakfast...oh well - it's what happens when on an older ship. Are you on the transatlantic now or did you disembark in Ft. Lauderdale? thanks again for everything you wrote. Stay well!

• 5 months later...
39 minutes ago, Two Wavers said:

We are Matt and Pat - Is there anyone sailing on the Island Princess May 26 from Florida until June 28th South Hampton - believe it’s call “fire and ice” 

This is your Roll Call - Seems to be quite active - enjoy!