Recent Alaska Cruisers: Outdoor Pools Open?

dogg1322

For those of you who have cruised to Alaska this season on the Bliss or the Encore,  were the outdoor pools open (ie not netted off) during the hours posted in the Freestyle Daily or were they closed more than that?  I thought I read that if the outside temperature gets below a certain number they close them?  My niece and nephew are half polar bear and swim in any type of weather, so trying to see what reality is in Alaska!  Outdoor pools open most days? Only a few?

thanks in advance!

The ships are purpose built for Alaska. The pools, slides, splash zones, and water feature (Bliss) are all heated. Outside dining areas all have heaters in the ceilings. We have recently sailed on the Bliss, Encore, and Joy to Alaska (just before and after the shutdown). The pools were always open during the day time. And the sun lovers were out on loungers (even if covered in deck blankets). 

image.png.d7d0556c8f5e733a1aaae2a178694943.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On our last day on the Pearl back in 2016 in Alaska my DD, then 6yo, wanted to go swimming.  It was a little chilly but knowing the pools were heated I took her.  There were only a couple others in the pool and the other pool was empty.  We swam for a while and then DD wanted to go in the other pool one last time.  We jumped right in and right back out.  They had changed the pool water and it had not heated up yet and It was freezing. We still laugh about it to this day and laughed about it when we were on the Pearl again last month.  

Edited by jimsig
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...