Transdermal V Sea sickness patches in Canada

Binbrooklady

My DH uses the patches as he suffers from sea sickness and they have worked wonderfully. In Canada, they have been available OTC. We purchased some earlier this year. However, now they are no longer available. Our pharmacist says that they are not even available by prescription. I understand that in the US a prescription is required. I have bought 2 different brands from Amazon and hope they will work as we are on the Summit on June 2.

So, questions...have any fellow Canadians been able to get the patches? Are they still available by prescription in the US? And finally, has anyone had success with the other brands from Amazon? Thank you.

Sorry to hear of the inability to purchase Scopolamine patches .     As far as I know they are still available in the U.S. by prescription.

My understanding and you should confirm the patches you may have purchased are not Scopolamine and are a "herbal mixture".    If you look at the description or al the pictures it will show you which herbs.  Whether they will work is questionable.

A possible solution is to check via google for U.S. Online Doctors  or an Immediate Care Doctor in the U.S.  -  pay a fee and they will send you a prescription that you could pick up at a U.S. Pharmacy.    I would expect they may be expensive but may be worth it depending on your husbands requirements.   The online pharmacies will most likely need a U.S. address possibly use a U.S. Friends address.  

Example -  https://www.pushhealth.com/drugs/scopolamine?gakey=&gclid=CjwKCAjw7cGUBhA9EiwArBAvolmznyYJeEemUhsC6IyLVOl69bdR6utMHqxVCU7JEefXY523zt57wBoCTwYQAvD_BwE

When we needed these patches years ago and the Rx for them was very expensive (not so today, thankfully) I used to pick them up at our local Asian store.  OTC of course.  Same as the US patches, worked perfectly.

Is his seasickness really bad?

Has he tried the SeaBands?  they dont put medication in, sit on the acupuncture point on the wrist.  They help a lot of people.  

Other options - eat a green apple, chips and coke help as well, Gravol or Ginger Gravol (without the sleepiness).

As Jim_Iain said, have a look at the active ingredients listed on the patches you bought on Amazon. I'd frankly be astounded if they contained scopolomine. More than likely these are made in China herbal remedies.

3 minutes ago, mom says said:

As Jim_Iain said, have a look at the active ingredients listed on the patches you bought on Amazon. I'd frankly be astounded if they contained scopolomine. More than likely these are made in China herbal remedies.

Your are correct.   They just contain a number of herbs and who knows whether they would work.   I was being kind suggesting they have no active pharmaceutical ingredients. 

I use to get Sea Sick when I first started sailing.   I found that if I took a Dramamine or Bonine the night before and then the morning I was boarding it would calm my inner ear and I could go for the remainder of the cruise with no problems.  They also made me drowsy and I got a good nights sleep.  Maybe it's all our cruising but I am no longer affected by motion sickness.   To my surprise I later found out that Dramamine is nothing more than Benadryl ( Dimenhydrinate 50 mg) that's why I slept so well. 

I also heard that Bonine (Meclizine HCI 25 mg) has also been pulled from pharmacies in Canada so they would probably have to pick up in the U.S. over the counter.

4 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Your are correct.   They just contain a number of herbs and who knows whether they would work.   I was being kind suggesting they have no active pharmaceutical ingredients. 

I use to get Sea Sick when I first started sailing.   I found that if I took a Dramamine or Bonine the night before and then the morning I was boarding it would calm my inner ear and I could go for the remainder of the cruise with no problems.  They also made me drowsy and I got a good nights sleep.  Maybe it's all our cruising but I am no longer affected by motion sickness.   To my surprise I later found out that Dramamine is nothing more than Benadryl ( Dimenhydrinate 50 mg) that's why I slept so well. 

I also heard that Bonine (Meclizine HCI 25 mg) has also been pulled from pharmacies in Canada so they would probably have to pick up in the U.S. over the counter.

Jim, I'm glad you aren't bothered by seasickness anymore; I wish I could say the same. I have a very uncooperative inner ear, and can get motion sickness on just about anything that moves. Thank heaven there are remedies that work. The trick is finding the one that works best for you, with the fewest side effects,

I think over the years I've tried about all 9f them. The Transderm Scop made my mouth so dry I had trouble talking, and my vision so blurry I couldn't read. Dramamine (- Gravol in Canada) makes me drowsy too, and you need to take it several times a day. But just a gentle correction: Dramamine IS dimenhydrinate. But Benadryl is diphenhydramine- not the same drug. But it, too, will give you a good night's  sleep. 😄

Meclizine hasnt been available for sale in Canada for quite a few years.

Edited by mom says

Hi Binbrooklady. As an aside ,my family was living in Binbrook when i was born. Now live just outside of Dundas. Although meclizine isn't available in Canada, I've been able to order it from Amazon.com and it ships from a pharmacy in the States. Best thing 'I've found for my seasickness. 

On 5/27/2022 at 8:44 PM, mom says said:

I think over the years I've tried about all 9f them. The Transderm Scop made my mouth so dry I had trouble talking, and my vision so blurry I couldn't read. Dramamine (- Gravol in Canada) makes me drowsy too, and you need to take it several times a day. But just a gentle correction: Dramamine IS dimenhydrinate. But Benadryl is diphenhydramine- not the same drug. But it, too, will give you a good night's  sleep. 😄

Meclizine hasnt been available for sale in Canada for quite a few years.

I tried the patch also many years ago while on a Deep Sea Fishing trip.   I was so dehydrated that I eventually had to pull it off and throw it away. 

A agree that Dimenhydrinate and Diphenhydramine are different but in my years of tying to find a solution I learned they are "almost" the same thing.

Diphenhydramine is the primary constituent of dimenhydrinate and dictates the primary effect. The main difference relative to pure diphenhydramine is a lower potency due to being combined with 8-chlorotheophylline. By weight, dimenhydrinate is between 53% to 55.5% diphenhydramine.

For me they both knock me out and are great if I want to sleep but not for enjoying a vacation.   I did find Bonine (meclizine) worked for me without knocking me out.

I use to get really Air Sick until I became a pilot - maybe just all my flying and cruising finally got my inner ear under control 

17 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

I use to get really Air Sick until I became a pilot

Lol. At the risk of sidetracking the thread... while I often get air sick and car sick, it has rarely been a problem when I'm at the controls. My father gave me flying lessons as a graduation gift, and I remember being so focused on flying the plane that nausea never reared its head. Except for spins. 

23 minutes ago, mom says said:

Lol. At the risk of sidetracking the thread... while I often get air sick and car sick, it has rarely been a problem when I'm at the controls. My father gave me flying lessons as a graduation gift, and I remember being so focused on flying the plane that nausea never reared its head. Except for spins. 

I'm sure you are correct about being at the controls.   I was trained by a bush pilot and he soloed me with 4 hours of training.    He was really harsh on training and would force me into hammer head stalls to make sure I was comfortable with recovery while spinning toward the ground.   Scares me just thinking what I use to do.     The adrenaline alone will cure any thought of air sickness.

Saying that I still can not sit in the back seat of a car and read.