Details about luggage handling please.

Jacobs Ema

I didn’t want to start a new topic, but I have searched and searched and cannot find the information I am looking for.

we are doing a 14 day cruisetour, with land first. Can anyone tell me if they do a “one suitcase to the ship and one stays with you” 

kind of thing? The customer service lady knew absolutely nothing about the land portion, and I can’t seem to find it anywhere. 

1 hour ago, Jacobs Ema said:

I didn’t want to start a new topic, but I have searched and searched and cannot find the information I am looking for.

we are doing a 14 day cruisetour, with land first. Can anyone tell me if they do a “one suitcase to the ship and one stays with you” 

kind of thing? The customer service lady knew absolutely nothing about the land portion, and I can’t seem to find it anywhere. 

We did an Alaskan cruise, Seward to Vancouver, with a 4 day land tour before the cruise. Our luggage stayed with us as we were bused to three different hotels/locations between Anchorage and Seward.

In our case, if they did the "one suitcase to the ship" thing , they would have had to load all the secondary suitcases on a truck and drive them down to Seward. And of course , the ship isn't there till the day of embarkation. So they would have to store the suitcases at some kind of secure facility till the ship arrived.

Anyway, that's my take on your question, based on personal history. Your situation may be totally different, and none of this would apply. Good Luck!!

• Like 1

I did a cruisetour a couple of years ago.  Luggage stays with you, on the bus.  We could opt to take everything into the hotel or leave a "ship" suitcase on the bus.  We had a couple of 2 night hotel stays, the others were 1 night, so it just depended on how much you wanted to move around.  On the last night we did load our luggage on the bus the night before and just kept an overnight bag because we were taking a ferry partway to Seward while the bus drove to meet us.

Land tours pre-post cruise - you maybe met at the airport or other designated place

and your luggage is either trucked ahead to your hotel for that night  or stowed in the

belly of the motor coach (bus) - you take whatever you need at hand in your

carry on that should fit in the overhead bin or underneath a seat in the bus.

XXXXX

Make sure your Passport ID tour contract documents and medicines are available in your carry on.

Depending on the daily activities maybe a change of clothing add a jacket sweater etc.

Hiking - walking shoes maybe another thing to consider.

Pre-cruise that last day of the land tour your luggage is usually taken directly to your

ship and left at the door of your stateroom - - - Definitely keep your Passport and cruise

documents out and available in your carry-on.

Post-cruise you should be provided instructions on how the luggage issue is handled -

Usually taken from your stateroom door the night before disembarking and on arrival at

the port loaded onto the tour bus or a truck and taken to your first nights accommodation

and made available for your use - then - subsequently moved to each accommodation to

the end of the land tour.

Unsure get the real scoop from the tour people how this is handled.

Also note if border crossing - Customs may have an inspection somewhere in this.