72 and 48-hour pre-cruise testing. How picky are Silversea?

scottam

Hi Everyone!
Getting ready to sail next week for our first Silversea cruise!
I am setting up our covid test appointments and am curious about the 72 and 48 hr pre-cruise testing requirements. Since our pre-hotel and transfers are being handled by Silversea, we don't know what time we board, making it difficult to determine the correct time for the test. Also, do we need to account for the 3 hour time difference between where we live and where we board in Anchorage? How picky are Silversea with regard to the actual number of hours between testing and boarding?
Thanks so much for sharing your insights and experiences!

On 6/2/2022 at 8:01 AM, commodoredave said:

My understanding, received in writing from my TA, is that the time period is three days and not 72 hours, which makes the time difference less relevant. 

I got the same information from my Silversea representative yesterday.

We are going to Alaska in 2 weeks.Our papers states 24 hours.impossible we are going in a day early with SS.My agent is looking into it.She said maybe SS is doing the testing at the hotel. Too many. inconsistencies.

I believe SS "healthy return to sailing" shows 48 hours for rapid antigen and 72 hours for PC-R.  If your papers say 24 hours, then I am totally SOL.  I will going into Seward a day before the cruise and there is apparently no testing available to me in Seward.

Capri 73, please post what you find out -- I'm starting to really get nervous!

I leave on 7/5 from home.

Today I called the Egan Convention Center in Anchorage as I had read a press release saying Covid tests for passengers are available there.  The woman I spoke to confirmed that they do offer Covid tests, and Siversea passengers were eligible (cost to passenger approx $90.)  I don't know whether the test is Antigen or PCR, but I suspect antigen.  Phone for Egan Center is (907)263-2800 -- might want to phone to reconfirm my info as this stuff seems to change daily.

I would be nice if SS could see their way to publish this info...

Just got back from the Galapagos on Silver Origin. Our cruise docs suggested we get a PCR on Wed so the test would still be current for boarding the ship on Sat. We paid $300 for our PCR tests. We flew to Ecuador Thursday and SS included 2 nights in a hotel before flying us to the Galapagos to board the ship on Sat.  When we got to Quito, ALL passengers had to do an antigen test SS paid for. So our PCR tests they told us to get were wasted.  Can’t be sure all SS ships require a test administered by SS before boarding like Silver Origin did.

D2

You can order eMed self tests for travel which are mailed to your home.  You down load the Navica app and when it is time to take the test you open the testing kit (not before or it invalidates the test) and virtually perform the test on yourself while observed on your smart phone by an eMed.Navica monitor.  They  then observe the test result and within 20 minutes your get an email verifying the results which is accepted by most cruise lines, airlines, and the USA to get back into the country.   

• Thanks 1

We are currently traveling retired nomads, in Buenos Aires.  We've been here since February.  We brought with us 10 FLOWFLEX tests for this exact situation.

You can get FLOWFLEX at Walgreens, CVS, Target,Publix.  Inside the package is information on how to get the test proctored.  You chose a time ( 24 hours a day) and a live proctor walks you thru the test.  Its $20.00 for the proctoring.  The tests were 7.99 at Target when we stocked up. AZOVA is the proctor. You can even buy the tests from Azova if you live where there are none. But just got on those pharmacies web-site and check to see who has in stock.

We will be heading to Peru, and Ecuador ( for a Silver Origin cruise in August)  and even though there are test sites around, we NEVER want to be stressed hunting for one. Worse, I've heard of friends being stuck in London trying to find a open spot for a test for 5 extra days to get back to the US.

Hope this helps somebody.  If you travel, carry a couple with you, for the foreseeable future.

• Like 1

Hi Everyone!

Silversea, in my opinion, could easily make this so much less confusing by stating the number of days in their pre-boarding testing information instead of hours.

I got a very un-clear answer from my TA who, after speaking with Silversea, repeated the already confusing 48/72 hour information and didn't address the fact that I don't know what time we will be taken to the ship for boarding or the question of the 3-hour time difference.  So, I called Silversea myself and was told (wish I had this in writing) that it was 2 days and 3 days instead of 48/72 hours and to get as close to boarding time as possible. 
So that's what we did. Fingers crossed that "as close as possible" is good enough.

Kimanjo, I appreciate the info you posted previously. We have plenty of tests just in case and to get back into the US if Silversea does not provide end-of-cruise testing (which I am also getting inconsistent information on!). I like that we can buy a less expensive self-test and only pay for the proctoring if it's needed. Thank you!

• Like 1

With respect to three days or 72 hours, here is the email that my TA received from a regional executive at Silversea on March 16:

"It is 3 calendar days, not 72 hours.   For example  take test on Tuesday and cruise on Friday."

Unless that has changed since then, the same would apply to 48 hours -- it's two days, 

My COVID email from SS today said 48 hours for fully vaccinated and 72 hours for up to date vaccinated (which I believe refers to required boosters). I called Silver Sea and that's also what they told me -- nothing about days. I agree it would be great if SS said specifically: If you have a booster, get a test by XX:XX local time at embarkation port, etc.

Are there other docs I should expect to receive besides the COVID email I got today? Is there a specific time I am supposed to board outside of the 2 hour general window the ship will board?

We are being blinded by supposed EU regulations. Initially we had to have a lateral flow no more than 24 hour prior to boarding (we live in UK, travelling to Venice tomorrow (9th) and then board Dawn on the 10th As we'd be travelling, this would have been difficult to time and the offered 'pre cruise hotel' testing was not 'valid' for us even though we are staying in a SS booked hotel. Then on 1 June it was relaxed to the 72 hours that seems to now be on the website only to receive, this morning, the day before travelling that it's back to 24 hours for a lateral flow. Seriously, you couldn't make up the confusion and additional stress that we are now experiencing on our long awaited cruise (May 2020 now moved 3 times). We have decided to continue with our lateral flow in London tomorrow at 9:45 so will some 30 hours before sailing but hey ho, let them deal with us at port side if this isn't sufficient. What would be good though, is to hear from somebody who has recently said in Europe if you're out there please???? Need less stress so I can enjoy the journey (Gosh help us in Heathrow though) as well as the cruise. 

On 6/5/2022 at 10:02 AM, pfund said:

I believe SS "healthy return to sailing" shows 48 hours for rapid antigen and 72 hours for PC-R.  If your papers say 24 hours, then I am totally SOL.  I will going into Seward a day before the cruise and there is apparently no testing available to me in Seward.

Capri 73, please post what you find out -- I'm starting to really get nervous!

I leave on 7/5 from home.

Today they said 48 or 72 hours.We have to find our own tests when we get off the ship.They will not test onboard.This too has changed so many times.

2 hours ago, Capri73 said:

Today they said 48 or 72 hours.We have to find our own tests when we get off the ship.They will not test onboard.This too has changed so many times.

Hi, they are not testing at the end of Alaska for those folks who need it?

1 hour ago, Lois R said:

Hi, they are not testing at the end of Alaska for those folks who need it?

My understanding is that you will be responsible for your own test.  You can get it in YVR cruise terminal or airport -- just don't book an early flight.  Could also do proctored test if ship has Wi-Fi -- bring your own test.  Finally , could get around the need for test if take bus to Seattle and fly home within US from there.

Can you tell I've done a lot of research?  For the price we pay on SS I think they could have coughed for a test.  Frankly, had I realized the extent of this hassle I doubt I would have booked!

24 minutes ago, pfund said:

My understanding is that you will be responsible for your own test.  You can get it in YVR cruise terminal or airport -- just don't book an early flight.  Could also do proctored test if ship has Wi-Fi -- bring your own test.  Finally , could get around the need for test if take bus to Seattle and fly home within US from there.

Can you tell I've done a lot of research?  For the price we pay on SS I think they could have coughed for a test.  Frankly, had I realized the extent of this hassle I doubt I would have booked!

Thanks.......my flights are already booked. Flight home leaves at 12:35pm. Hopefully I can disembark early and get that test at the terminal.  I have my flights and transfers through the cruise line. Ironically, I am doing a land tour through SS pre cruise and they will do the test for those guests. All my previous sailings they did do the testing before disembarking.......too bad they changed this policy.