SS Cloud Live...ish JUNE 1-14

highplanesdrifters

7 hours ago, pf778c said:

This has had me stumped as well, so I finally made an effort to find out!  That, and the little ship icon next to your avatar mean that you've contributed a "Live From" review.  Whew!

Aha!  I just received and email that I was awarded a badge for posting live. I just looked and I am also rare.  But certainly not as rare as Wes! I'm probably in the rarely camp.😄

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

highplanesdrifters; welcome to the well-done, err mean rare club 🙂  btw; also using HOKA (Speedgoat 5) trail shoes for the Silver Cloud Azores expedition voyage in late September.

Edited by WesW

15 hours ago, highplanesdrifters said:

Big Nance glad you're enjoying the trip and pictures.  As for shoes, It really depends on what type of expedition voyage you are on. Where are you going?

Luxury Expeditions in the polar regions generally provide knee high rubber boots. When you book there should be a page with what gear will be provided for you, and what you will need to purchase.  On the polar landings you can be in 1 inch or 6 inches plus of icy water. On this trip we haven't had any wet landings...yet.  Those that kayaked may have had a wet landing, but were provided dry suits and booties.  I have been wearing waterproof Hoka trail shoes. They have been fantastic.  Many are wearing hiking boots/shoes which I assume are waterproof.  We have had some river crossings, marshy/boggy areas, and lots water splashing into the Zodiacs from rough seas. I've seen some people with modern galoshes over their shoes.  In tropical regions I'll wear reef shoes if we are just going for a beach snorkel.  Or if there us a hike involved I'll bring some footwear in a backpack and change once we have landed. I hope this helps.

Thanks high Plains! We are on the Cloud in August Reykjavik to Dublin, so not polar,but close! I have read the list of what we should have, but like to get input from folks who have done the trip. Thank you again for taking the time to reply!

N

We are on the Cloud from Dublin to Lisbon.

Would anyone know whether we will have wet landings? 
The folks at Silversea dont have a clue! 
I really don’t want to get special shoes for the one trip though I guess I could take my Keens or water shoes and then change into runners if need be. 

1 hour ago, BigNance said:

Thanks high Plains! We are on the Cloud in August Reykjavik to Dublin, so not polar,but close! I have read the list of what we should have, but like to get input from folks who have done the trip. Thank you again for taking the time to reply!

N

Where did you get the list from ? Silversea hasn’t sent us anything. 

2 hours ago, Emdee said:

Where did you get the list from ? Silversea hasn’t sent us anything. 

On your My Silversea, there are a couple of drop down buttons. Click on Guest Info, then click on Important Information.  There is a list which has some clickable links.  Gear shop, Silver Cloud Setting Sail Guide.  I found the info there.

Aisle of Runde. Norway

Last night we crossed into the North sea and picked up some swells. Not bad, but the old girl creaked and moaned through the night. In the morning as we sailed close to Norway the clouds gave way to the bright Scandinavian Sun. I'm not sure what I have done to deserve this weather gift but suspect the Karma God's have me confused with someone else.  We sailed past Runde almost to Aeslund and I thought our Zodiac tour had been lost yo the swells. But No, we were just there to pick  up the pilot. Back to Runde, a bit windy, but an otherwise glorious day for a Zodiac tour. There were a Sea full of Puffins as we approached doing all the usual Puffin things. Sea caves, Eagles galore, seven pairs and the always magical Ganet snow globe. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, BigNance said:

On your My Silversea, there are a couple of drop down buttons. Click on Guest Info, then click on Important Information.  There is a list which has some clickable links.  Gear shop, Silver Cloud Setting Sail Guide.  I found the info there.

Thank you so much. I found it. For our cruise they don’t appear to include water shoes  but there is talk of possible wet landings. So we will take water shoes with us. 

The Ship

As mentioned earlier, things on the Cloud are Ship Shape. Some occasional maintenance here and there but nothing intrusive. 

Vibe on the ship
Happy to extremely happy. Passengers are friendly but respectful. We have met many wonderful people. Due to the good weather fortune we have been experiencing folks are often giddy.

Apex Expeditions has a contingency on board led by the Birding Legend  Peter Harrison. Very lovely crowd. Peter is generous with his knowledge which often goes beyond birding.  We are also fortunate to have Joe Cochran, Seabird expert on this sail.  While most passengers are giddy, the birders are orgasmic.  Many have mentioned they have been trying for years to get to St. Kilda.  It feels like an Antarctica trip. I have seen none of the "obnoxious party types" mentioned on other threads. 

Expedition Staff
Led by the always entertaining Oscar Dunn. Oscar is a true leader. His professionalism and calm but friendly nature shine through in all the staff. The expedition options are varied. There are usually a long and short hike option along with free roam. Oscar is continually offering pop up Expeditions as we get closer to ports. I am impressed. There have been a few tours along classic lines but we have not gone on them.

Wait staff and Bartenders
All are working tirelessly. Each preforming many duties with smile and grace. They are short staffed but you rarely notice it.  

Butler and housekeeping
Rodney and Bernadette are wonderdul and thoughtful. Always nice little touches.

ABs
They hoist, stabilize, catch, and gently deliver us to and from the Zodics come rain or shine. All done with smiles, good nature and the efficiency of a Swiss train.

Food
OK, Good, Very Good, and Ecxellent
The first few days we found the food to be uninspiring and so bland we joked that perhaps we had Covid and lost our sense of taste. We have found our groove in the MDR, where food has been good, really good and occasionally excellent. Each day for dinner in the MDR there is a "Taste Of (insert country)", China, India, Indonesia, etc.  All very good to Excellent.  Breakfast,  both room service and Terraza very good. Terraza for lunch, just OK.  Hot rocks, not a fan. We have given up trying to go to La Terazza. More later on that.

I mention the following minor annoyances only to prepare/assist folks.
TV
All are ready to chuck them in the ocean, including staff.  Message/dinner reservation system constantly crashes and the TV sometimes needs rebooting. Instead of calling it in you can reboot by reaching behind the TV on lefthand side and unplugging power. Then go to the righthand side and unplug the HDMI cable. Re plug and you should be good to go. 

Reception/cruise director/corporate overlords
They do not deserve to be reviewed on the same page as the above mentioned stellar staff. Still some things to be resolved concerning flights. I'll recap later. 

TV Reservation System 
It has a mind of its own. It randomly made reservations and also randomly canceled reservations. At one point I had 27 messages.   We became tired showing up at the MDR only to be told  we had a reservation at La Terazza..or showing up at La Terazza to be told we didn't have a reservation. We canceled what reservations we had and have skipped La Terazza. And YES I know we can call reception or book directly at La Terazza. 
I've heard others complain that the same thing is happenng with spa reservations. Hobbyist grade software from the 90s.

Shower
The water from the showers pools up on the bathroom floor. Ask for extra towels.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

@highplanesdrifters

You said something earlier about "luxury exploration ships" providing waterproof boots to all guests for possible wet landings on Zodiacs, but I wasn't sure you meant that Silversea provides such boots on the Cloud. Can you please clarify this? My wife and I are booked for a Greenland-intensive Cloud sailing in September of 2023, and all the Greenland landings are via Zodiacs.

Thanks.

Jim

We are on the Wind Reykjavik to Tromso Expedition in  2 weeks. We rented waterproof boots directly from Silversea for this trip - I fear that the waters in the Arctic are too cold for Keens or open sandals. I may throw hikers in my backpack if we go out for long hikes.

While pricey to rent,  I know that I don't need this kind of boot in my permanent East Coast wardrobe (snow boots are more common!), and I don't want to bother packing high rain boots.

I think that ultimately it will depend on whether landings are wet or dry. Either way, I suspect they'll be chilly!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, jimdee3636 said:

@highplanesdrifters

You said something earlier about "luxury exploration ships" providing waterproof boots to all guests for possible wet landings on Zodiacs, but I wasn't sure you meant that Silversea provides such boots on the Cloud. Can you please clarify this? My wife and I are booked for a Greenland-intensive Cloud sailing in September of 2023, and all the Greenland landings are via Zodiacs.

Thanks.

Jim

Hi Jim, Many luxury expedition ships will provide boots for their polar explorations or at least offer to rent them on board. They will often provide a parka and some other swag like a backpack.  You need to go into your "My Silversea" account to see what is provided for your specific voyage. They will also provide a list of recommended gear for you to bring with you.  Must haves are waterproof pants. They can be had rather cheaply. I have ones that fit over my regular pants. On this trip I would take  off the waterproof pants once the zodiacs dropped us on land.  Easier to hike.  In Antarctica and Greenland I just  wore them over my thermals. Depends on your cold tolerance. You're going to have an amazing trip.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ex-hippie said:

We are on the Wind Reykjavik to Tromso Expedition in  2 weeks. We rented waterproof boots directly from Silversea for this trip - I fear that the waters in the Arctic are too cold for Keens or open sandals. I may throw hikers in my backpack if we go out for long hikes.

While pricey to rent,  I know that I don't need this kind of boot in my permanent East Coast wardrobe (snow boots are more common!), and I don't want to bother packing high rain boots.

I think that ultimately it will depend on whether landings are wet or dry. Either way, I suspect they'll be chilly!

We bought them for Antarctica because we had concerns about fit. We now rent them and the others take up space in our closet. I have now have this visual of someone stepping into icy water with keens and penguins nipping at their toes. 🤣

Please report on the Wind.  We are on her in October.

• Haha 1

highplanesdrifters; excellent Silver Cloud summary--thank you.  Experienced similar issues with our TV on the Cloud's Holiday Antarctica trip in December/January 2022.  Also, had to reboot numerous times.  Suggest having your Butler make your La Terraza ressies if desired. On the Dawn in April Kaiseki had no availability any day, Joric used his Butler magic and viola had ressies even added a wonderful English couple (Wendy and Peter who are on this voyage with you) to our Kaiseki visit.  Know the CD we had in December left just the Cloud just prior to your voyage, hope your CD and Reception improve.  Tho, really enjoy Ryan the night auditor who man's the Reception desk from 11pm to 7am.

Edited by WesW

15 hours ago, ex-hippie said:

I was thinking Keens  but it is August in the British Isles. I suspect very few wet landings if any. 

19 hours ago, WesW said:

highplanesdrifters; excellent Silver Cloud summary--thank you.  Experienced similar issues with our TV on the Cloud's Holiday Antarctica trip in December/January 2022.  Also, had to reboot numerous times.  Suggest having your Butler make your La Terraza ressies if desired. On the Dawn in April Kaiseki had no availability any day, Joric used his Butler magic and viola had ressies even added a wonderful English couple (Wendy and Peter who are on this voyage with you) to our Kaiseki visit.  Know the CD we had in December left just the Cloud just prior to your voyage, hope your CD and Reception improve.  Tho, really enjoy Ryan the night auditor who man's the Reception desk from 11pm to 7am.

We've met Peter and Wendy. You are so right, absolutely gun and delightful. It's a cruise full of great people.  We've only encountered one "name dropper type". Thanks for the rez tips. Staff and butler Rodney have offered many times to help. TBH, we usually prefer not to be locked into a reservation, although I know we can cancel I feel it is not fair to others. It's nice not to be on a schedule so we can linger over cocktails in Panorama with piano and scenery as our entertainment or crash with room service after a long day.

• Like 2

Flight issue.

In theory it has been resolved and we are booked on flights. I'll let you know when we land in Oslo. 😉

More importantly, after 6 days of  blaming us and our TA we met with the CD. He apologized and fully admitted it was 100% Silverseas fault. Jeeeez, why was that so hard.

• Like 4