Passport Renewal

Jimbo

3 hours ago, ChinaShrek said:

I mailed everything to get a new passport at the end of May. I am still waiting. I have a flight to Europe on August 11. What should I do? What do you think will happen?

Have you checked the State Department website for your current status?  https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/need-passport/status.html

If you haven't already check out how to get your passport fast:  https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/get-fast.html

If there is still no indication that you will receive your new passport before your cruise, I suggest you call your Congressional representative's constituent services office (either local or in Washington, DC).  Government agencies respond to Congressional inquiries.

10 hours ago, capriccio said:

Have you checked the State Department website for your current status?  https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/need-passport/status.html

If you haven't already check out how to get your passport fast:  https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/get-fast.html

If there is still no indication that you will receive your new passport before your cruise, I suggest you call your Congressional representative's constituent services office (either local or in Washington, DC).  Government agencies respond to Congressional inquiries.

Thank you for the information. I went to the website and it is showing approved. I think that is good. 

4 minutes ago, ChinaShrek said:

Thank you for the information. I went to the website and it is showing approved. I think that is good. 

That's great!  We received our new passports within a few days of being approved.  I hope you do too.  Have a great cruise!

8 minutes ago, capriccio said:

That's great!  We received our new passports within a few days of being approved.  I hope you do too.  Have a great cruise!

Thank you! In hindsight, I should have requested expedited service.

• 3 weeks later...

As I had to cancel my September cruise, I'm using this as an opportunity to renew my passport as it expires in a year's time. The nice part.... the passport acceptance facility is in Irving, Texas, which is in the DFW area, and I can confirm that the facility accepted it on August 11th. Since I'm utilizing normal processing, I should get a new passport book and card by October 26th. 

On 8/12/2022 at 11:52 AM, Z'Loth said:

The nice part.... the passport acceptance facility is in Irving, Texas, which is in the DFW area, and I can confirm that the facility accepted it on August 11th. Since I'm utilizing normal processing, I should get a new passport book and card by October 26th. 

Status update.... the check cleared my financial institution on August 16th. In checking the passport status, "The U.S. Department of State has received your application for your passport book and card on 08/15/2022. We're now reviewing your application and supporting documents." Because of routine processing (I anticipate no need for my passport prior to 2023), it should take 11 weeks to process. That places it right around October 31st. 

As for my Global Entry card... it is valid until September 2025, which is one year later than I expected. My fingers are crossed that I can actually use the benefits as Covid put a monkey wrench into everyone's travel plans. 

You just can't predict how it's going to go:  

My husband and I sent our passports out for renewal at the same time -- to my unpracticed eye, we look identical:  natural born Americans, renewals /not new passports, no red flags.  The only thing "against me" is that I changed my name when we got married 32 years ago, but that's hardly unique.  

Anyway, he received his back in about five weeks.  I'm still waiting, and we're at the eight week mark.  

• 1 month later...
On 8/17/2022 at 6:44 AM, Z'Loth said:

Status update.... the check cleared my financial institution on August 16th. In checking the passport status, "The U.S. Department of State has received your application for your passport book and card on 08/15/2022. We're now reviewing your application and supporting documents." Because of routine processing (I anticipate no need for my passport prior to 2023), it should take 11 weeks to process. That places it right around October 31st. 

Passport book arrived on Thursday September 22nd, passport card arrived on Saturday, September 24th. Applying some calculations:

• Date mailed (August 10th) until date received (August 11th) - 1 Day
  • Notification of receipt (August 15th) - 4 Days
  • Receipt of passport (September 22nd) - 38 Days (5 weeks and 3 days)
  • Receipt of passport card (September 24th) - 40 Days (5 weeks and 5 days)

The Trusted Traveler Program info has been updated for the Global Entry. I have also scanned the passport book and passport card and stored the digital image as a backup.