(DISEMBARKATION) NCL stops testing with ten days notice to figure it out on own

vanchelle

41 minutes ago, susiesan said:

The airlines are pressuring the US to do away with the test to return as it is hurting them and US tourism.

https://www.flyertalk.com/articles/airlines-turn-up-pressure-to-drop-pre-arrival-testing.html?utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=

I hope that is what happens. IMHO it is silly to still have this requirement when most of the world has done away with it and when we have at least as much COVID in the USA as they have in any other country. It does not appear to be materially riskier to catch covid overseas right now so this testing to keep US citizens stranded in other countries (especially if they do need medical attention) seems to me misplaced at this stage in the pandemic.

All that said, I have a cruise on the Jade in Greece in September and now have to figure out how to make this work. My flight is about seven hours after the boat ports in Athens and it is not clear to me that there is sufficient time to rely on a test at the airport. Does anybody have specific experience with that in Athens recently that can offer advice?

It's a disappointing change in policy. Had I know that this was going to happen I would have given myself an extra day on the back end of the trip in Athens so that it would not be a scramble to make this test work. 

Here's the current statement on the 'Travel Requirements by Destination' page on NCL:

"Disembarkation Testing for all Norwegian Dawn and Jade sailings beginning June 12,2022 and beyond and for all Norwegian Epic, Escape, and Gem sailings beginning June 17, 2022 and beyond:

In order to best comply with local regulations, all guests who require proof of a negative COVID-19 test in order to return to their home country, will now have the following options:

1. Purchase an easy-to-use telemedicine kit onboard (subject to availability)
  2. Visit a local clinic

For an easy-to-use online tool for locating COVID-19 testing providers around the world, please visit Test For Travel .com (I removed the hyperlink as CC sometimes dislikes them).

In other words, YOYO.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, The Shrike said:

Here's the current statement on the 'Travel Requirements by Destination' page on NCL:

"Disembarkation Testing for all Norwegian Dawn and Jade sailings beginning June 12,2022 and beyond and for all Norwegian Epic, Escape, and Gem sailings beginning June 17, 2022 and beyond:

In order to best comply with local regulations, all guests who require proof of a negative COVID-19 test in order to return to their home country, will now have the following options:

2. Visit a local clinic

For an easy-to-use online tool for locating COVID-19 testing providers around the world, please visit Test For Travel .com (I removed the hyperlink as CC sometimes dislikes them).

In other words, YOYO.

I thought it showed that this is for Europe sailings when I pasted that, but it doesn't.  So to be clear, this is for those ships sailing out of European ports.

• Thanks 1

I guess I'm very confused because I haven't gotten the email.  I am leaving on the Epic on Sunday, June 12 and flying home from Barcelona on SUnday June 19.  Does this affect me or not?  I was planning on utilizing their testing services for the covid test to get home.  

The dates for the Epic above are June 17.  I'll be on the ship that day but the cruise began on the 12th?  What is going on??!!!  How can they not give more notice or information???

So in light of this new policy, I'm thinking of getting a PCR test and hoping it is positive so that I can then get a "recovery" letter.  Had a mild case after my last cruise last month.

Anyone see a flaw in my logic?  Sure would take care of the testing issue for my upcoming overseas trips!

9 hours ago, julig22 said:

So in light of this new policy, I'm thinking of getting a PCR test and hoping it is positive so that I can then get a "recovery" letter.  Had a mild case after my last cruise last month.

Anyone see a flaw in my logic?  Sure would take care of the testing issue for my upcoming overseas trips!

Creative thinking.  If your trip is soon,  it appears that would work if you can still get a positive PCR result and get the accepted recovery documentation.  You would definitely want to have quick access to NCL embarkation and US re-entry rules in case you encounter that ONE clueless representative…they’re out there.lol.

1 hour ago, laudergayle said:

Creative thinking.  If your trip is soon,  it appears that would work if you can still get a positive PCR result and get the accepted recovery documentation.  You would definitely want to have quick access to NCL embarkation and US re-entry rules in case you encounter that ONE clueless representative…they’re out there.lol.

Not worried as much about NCL as I should be able to get a negative rapid test prior to sailing.  It's the logistics to get tested to get home that has everyone scrambling now that NCL is dropping onboard testing and the US still requires a test.

Always good to have a backup!

• Like 1

On 6/3/2022 at 1:07 PM, Cowboy296 said:

Also just noticed on their Sail Safe page that masks are required onboard in Greece and Italy ports!

On Greece & Italy Ports Only:

While docked in por, local government regulations require all guests to wear masks onboard while indoors except for when actively eating or drinking or when in their stateroom. Guests will be required to wear masks outdoors when social distancing is not possible. Please visit Cruise Travel Requirements by Country for more information about the destinations and mask type required.

Just retuned for cruise yesterday. This was posted on board in the dailys but not enforced. While in Italy only time we had to wear a mask was on the bus ride to Rome. And even this was strictly enforced. Even in Naple and Florence the tour guide or bus driver wore masks. But on board the ship it was never announced or enforced.

1 hour ago, pizza123 said:

Just got off the Star last week. Internet was down the last 2 days - so depending on the internet to test would not work.

I find this disturbing because the ship itself states that they will have emed test available for sale (supplies limited) - so I would hope they get this figured out as there will be many people in need of internet access.

• Like 1

On 6/3/2022 at 5:07 PM, The Shrike said:

2. Visit a local clinic

In other words, YOYO.

So... does this mean that airport testing is no longer an option?  We sail in the June 30 Escape out of Rome, and the original email we received indicated these two options PLUS the option to test at the Rome airport upon departure.  But this (which matches the email we received) doesn't seem to contemplate that.  

Does that mean that Italy is no longer offering testing at the airport as of those dates? 

16 minutes ago, onivek said:

So... does this mean that airport testing is no longer an option?  We sail in the June 30 Escape out of Rome, and the original email we received indicated these two options PLUS the option to test at the Rome airport upon departure.  But this (which matches the email we received) doesn't seem to contemplate that.  

Does that mean that Italy is no longer offering testing at the airport as of those dates? 

It just means that you are on your own for testing - NCL has no connection to testing at the airport so you'll have to check with them.  Local clinic could be anywhere.

DW and I are on NCL Gem June 19. We fly into and out of Venice Marco Polo airport. Airport website says it offers antigen testing for $35 Euros. This is what we plan to do. Hoping NCL transfer gets us to the airport on time to do testing.