Thermal Pass Price onboard

ilv4cruising

Hi everyone.

We haven't cruised with HAL since the beginning of the pandemic and I'm curious about something.

Traditionally we wait until we are onboard to buy the Thermal Suite pass.  That is because they normally offer a special rate for "couples" (any 2 people actually).

If anyone is onboard (or has recently traveled), could you let me know if they still offer that discount and what the current price is?  Trying to decide if we should buy it online or wait.

Thanks in advance.

On our last two cruises (a NYE one and one last August), they did not offer any specials when purchasing on board.  It was more expensive to buy on board than online prior to the cruise, but I can't remember how much more it was.  They used to offer deals on board on these passes but it doesn't seem they do that anymore.  So I would recommend buying it now if it's something you want to do.

We recently cruised on Rotterdam for 14 nights in Europe.  The price for a couples pass onboard was $449 for the length of the cruise.  It used to be $419 when pre-purchasing the couples pass online.  Now the only online option is a single pass, and it was offered at $299 per person prior to the cruise.  We simply opted to go without.

Please note that the spa pass pricing can vary due to the category of ship and amenities onboard.  The Rotterdam (Pinnacle class) has the most bells and whistles in the spa, so will be higher priced than a Vista or other class of ship.

1 minute ago, Taters said:

The Thermal Spa pricing says to see a Spa attendant.

Each ship sets their own thermal spa pricing it appears.  There are also discounts on port days but they are not standard across the fleet.

8 minutes ago, Crew News said:

Each ship sets their own thermal spa pricing it appears.  There are also discounts on port days but they are not standard across the fleet.

When we were on Rotterdam from May 8th through the 22nd there were no discounted days for the thermal spa.

1 hour ago, highscar said:

Seasonal Hal cruiser but never used the spa. What is included in the thermal pass?

A pass to the thermal spa.

(Access to the hydro pool, ceramic warm chair lounges, sauna, steam, showers and on the newer ships, the ice bucket (just do it!).  Also, all the cucumber water you can drink and all the towels you can use!)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Taters said:

We recently cruised on Rotterdam for 14 nights in Europe.  The price for a couples pass onboard was $449 for the length of the cruise.  It used to be $419 when pre-purchasing the couples pass online.  Now the only online option is a single pass, and it was offered at $299 per person prior to the cruise.  We simply opted to go without.

Please note that the spa pass pricing can vary due to the category of ship and amenities onboard.  The Rotterdam (Pinnacle class) has the most bells and whistles in the spa, so will be higher priced than a Vista or other class of ship.

Thanks for the update.  We will be on the Zuiderdam so I'm guessing it would be a little cheaper but not sure how much.  I don't see a couple pass online but the pass is offered at $149 so not too bad.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, FlaMariner said:

A pass to the thermal spa.

(Access to the hydro pool, ceramic warm chair lounges, sauna, steam, showers and on the newer ships, the ice bucket (just do it!).  Also, all the cucumber water you can drink and all the towels you can use!)

The Thermal Pool has mineral waters, seats in the pool, and a couple of overhead very strong sprays (great for the neck and upper shoulders).  It is more of a therapeutic pool than just a hot tub.  My husband has had a couple of spinal fusions and suffers from back pain.  15-20 minutes in the pool can relieve a lot of tension.  After the pool then it is wonderful to go lie on the warm loungers to let the rest of the muscles relax. 

Also you are allowed to go as often as you want.  The price of the pass per person is usually cheaper than a single 1 hour massage so  for us, we think it is of great value. 

Our experience has always been wonderful until the Koningsdam.  Unfortunately the way it was laid out and then way to relax in the pool was not a great experience for us.  We only went once and asked for our money back (they gave it to us).  However ships like Zuiderdam, Westerdam and even Eurodam and Nieuw Amsterdam have been wonderful. 

31 minutes ago, ilv4cruising said:

The Thermal Pool has mineral waters, seats in the pool, and a couple of overhead very strong sprays (great for the neck and upper shoulders).  It is more of a therapeutic pool than just a hot tub.  My husband has had a couple of spinal fusions and suffers from back pain.  15-20 minutes in the pool can relieve a lot of tension.  After the pool then it is wonderful to go lie on the warm loungers to let the rest of the muscles relax. 

Also you are allowed to go as often as you want.  The price of the pass per person is usually cheaper than a single 1 hour massage so  for us, we think it is of great value. 

Our experience has always been wonderful until the Koningsdam.  Unfortunately the way it was laid out and then way to relax in the pool was not a great experience for us.  We only went once and asked for our money back (they gave it to us).  However ships like Zuiderdam, Westerdam and even Eurodam and Nieuw Amsterdam have been wonderful. 

Thanks for the information - I’m curious about what was different about the layout of the thermal suite in the Koningsdam and why it didn’t work as well for you?

1 hour ago, ilv4cruising said:

Thanks for the update.  We will be on the Zuiderdam so I'm guessing it would be a little cheaper but not sure how much.  I don't see a couple pass online but the pass is offered at $149 so not too bad.

I went to purchase the couples pass for my upcoming like I always do and it was only showing the single pass online. I called HAL and they informed me that the spa has decided to quit offering couples passes and you just have to by individual passes for each person now.  This was probably around 45 days ago.  I have not been on a ship since then but will follow up to see if couple's passes are still available once onboard my July 16 cruise.

2 hours ago, ilv4cruising said:

Our experience has been different than yours.  We've purchased the thermal spa pass for cruises on Koningsdam, Westerdam, and Zuiderdam and much prefer the Pinnacle class ships' thermal spa.  We love the seating in the round thermal pool as opposed to the bars that you have to hold onto in order to "lay down" in the square thermal pools on the Westerdam and Zuiderdam.  We enjoy each trye of pool, but the Pinnacle class happens to be a better design for our comfort.  

16 hours ago, Taters said:

Our experience has been different than yours.  We've purchased the thermal spa pass for cruises on Koningsdam, Westerdam, and Zuiderdam and much prefer the Pinnacle class ships' thermal spa.  We love the seating in the round thermal pool as opposed to the bars that you have to hold onto in order to "lay down" in the square thermal pools on the Westerdam and Zuiderdam.  We enjoy each trye of pool, but the Pinnacle class happens to be a better design for our comfort.  

That is interesting.  For us the bars in those thermal pools gave us a chance to totally immerse the body.  Yes it can be a bit of a challenge getting onto them though.  However once we were in the incline position it was wonderful.  The seats in the Koningsdam were too much like sitting in a hot tub and not a thermal pool (and the people using it started to treat it as such, chatting very loudly, not spa like).  Might have been the crowd we sailed with but they forgot they were in a spa.  The other thing we didn't like about the spa layout was the placement of the heated beds.  Basically it was a corridor behind your head and not isolated area like the other ships.  Again people didn't respect the relaxation concept and talked in normal voices in that area usually behind your head.  For us it just didn't work.  Glad you enjoyed it though.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1