KN95/FFP2 Mask Requirement for Italy/Greece

MikeMSD

I'm about to board the Gem in a couple of weeks. Does anyone know if the mask requirement for Italy and Greece is KN95 AND FFP2 rating or KN95 OR FFP2 rating? I'm not sure how to read the "/" between the two. I've got a bunch of KF94 masks that are rated FFP2. I prefer how they fit over the KN95 style masks and find them more comfortable. So, I'd like to save money and wear my more comfy masks if I'm going to have to. When I look at Italy's travel website, I only see FFP2 listed, so I'm wondering if NCL is just listing KN95 for us US travelers who may not be familiar with the European FFP2 standard.

Edited by MikeMSD
Spelling

I would assume "or", Italy has only required the FFP2 in the past and will be after May 1st for all public transport.

And the KN95 (China), N95 (USA) and FFP2 (Europe) are equal to eachother as far I know so it could be the latter you said, just a listing?

• Like 1

It looks like it's still required of cruise passengers in both Italy and Greece, at least per the last e-mail from NCL. I know once I'm back in Italy, it isn't required for my stay there. But it sounds like I need one on the ship when we're in port or going ashore from what I'm reading. Hopefully it's an or and they don't have a problem with these KF94s.

On 6/6/2022 at 7:21 PM, MikeMSD said:

It looks like it's still required of cruise passengers in both Italy and Greece, at least per the last e-mail from NCL. I know once I'm back in Italy, it isn't required for my stay there. But it sounds like I need one on the ship when we're in port or going ashore from what I'm reading. Hopefully it's an or and they don't have a problem with these KF94s.

Mike, we just got off the Escape a couple weeks ago which included stops in Italy, Greece, and MALTA, and here is what we saw on the 10 day vacation. All our paperwork stated we would need those ffp2 or KN95 masks. We bought some K95 masks and hoped they would be "good enough to wear. We did not need to wear any masks on our A.A. flight from jfk- Rome.   When we landed at fco airport, most passengers put on those blue colored paper masks, cloth masks, or the k95 masks. Nobody said anything if you didn't wear a mask. On the ship, all employees wore the kn95 masks at all times. I would guess that 60%-65% of the passengers on the ship never wore any mask. Some employees would ask passengers to put their masks on at the Buffett, or dinning rooms, but washing hands appeared to be the biggest request the crew had. On the tours in all 3 countries, masks appeared to be optional. Most outdoor tours went mask free. 

My suggestion is to have at least a blue 3 layer paper or cloth mask available in your pocket at all times. You will get free kn95 masks in your cabin. Note: when we departed the ship on our last day, the crew stated we must have a k95 type mask on to leave the ship.  Masks were not big deal on this wonderful vacation. It is stated on the ship many times to wear them, but it wasn't inforced. Hope this helped. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 6/6/2022 at 8:26 PM, FreestyleNovice said:

And the KN95 (China), N95 (USA) and FFP2 (Europe) are equal to eachother as far I know so it could be the latter you said, just a listing?

I think that the 95s are 95% and the FFP2 is 94%. So anywhere FFP2 is required, k/n95 should be fine, but it is possible (though rare) that place that requires N95 would not accept FFP2. 
But since 94 and 95 are so close, many masks are certified as both FFP2 and N95, and usually requirements will see them as equivalent. 

In OP's case, the FFP2 is fine. 

Recently disembarked Jade on 27th May which did Athens and various Greek Islands and just the normal blue masks were fine (not FFP2). Although Greece have now further relaxed mask rules in public places from 1st June

https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/news/greece-to-lift-mask-requirement-in-planes-public-indoor-areas-on-june-1/

The ship didn't do any Italian ports/waters. 

The only place where we found strict FFP2 rules in Italy was on the train, everywhere else the normal surgical mask was acceptable.

Edited by jennjess

IMO just be prepared as things can change, 

Carry at least 1 FFP2 or US/china/Korean equivalent at all times just in case you get asked.

if it looks like a FFP2 then even the strictest  compliance situation(italy public transport) you are likely to be ok.

if you don't have any and the ship does not provide then once in Europe they are cheap in a lot of stores

current italy rules to 15th June (expect an update next week)

https://www.salute.gov.it/portale/nuovocoronavirus/dettaglioNotizieNuovoCoronavirus.jsp?lingua=english&menu=notizie&p=dalministero&id=5893

• Thanks 1

The ship will provide masks in your stateroom and at disembarkation for shore excursions.

That said, we were in Italy for the 22-29 May Epic cruise and the mandatory wear of face masks was only very loosely enforced. The Freestyle daily said they were required in indoor areas while in port in Italy, and we went to breakfast with one on and quickly realized we were very much in the minority. No one really seemed to feel strongly about it given that in all the other ports in France and Spain they weren't required and we were around the exact same people. 

Up to your individual risk tolerance - we felt confident given that we had already been vaxxed, boosted, and recovered - and also were flying back to Germany rather than the US - I'd perhaps have been more risk averse if we hadn't already caught it from a delightful tour of the Champagne cellars in Reims in March. I'm glad we did the Champagne tour and glad we did the cruise, and felt that getting sick at our age (40) was low risk.

Italy masks are gone 

Just back form EPIC masks not enforced at all and in fact if you wore one you were the odd one out 

At last the face nappy is a thing of the past and the crew also expecting that masks will be lifted soon

• Like 3

On 6/9/2022 at 3:06 AM, insidecabin said:

IMO just be prepared as things can change, 

Carry at least 1 FFP2 or US/china/Korean equivalent at all times just in case you get asked.

if it looks like a FFP2 then even the strictest  compliance situation(italy public transport) you are likely to be ok.

Thanks! All of my KF94's that I'm bringing have FFP2 written on them, so as long as the requirement is just FFP2, I should be fine. That'll save me ordering KN95 masks, which I don't particularly trust buying because there are so many fakes now. If I'm going to have to wear a mask, I'd like it to do something lol.