Aeroplan Credit Card

1kaper

Not exactly cruise related but since I'm planning to fly to cruises -

I'm looking at switching up reward cards. I prefer a travel card.  Right now we have a card that give us access to Priority Pass lounges which I recently learned in Toronto are not always accessible.  
I used to fly WestJet a lot but the flights from where I am just don't work for connections since they got rid of the direct to Toronto flight.  Plus I've learned that if I fly AC, I don't have to exit the terminal and go through security again.  

I'm looking at an Aeroplan card, specifically one of the American Express cards.  Anyone have these?  How is it?  The priority perks are attactive.  I'm still waiting to get an interview for Nexus. 

I just signed up for Aeroplan this year so dont' have many points earned towards status. 

Edited by 1kaper

1 hour ago, 1kaper said:

Not exactly cruise related but since I'm planning to fly to cruises -

I'm looking at switching up reward cards. I prefer a travel card.  Right now we have a card that give us access to Priority Pass lounges which I recently learned in Toronto are not always accessible.  
I used to fly WestJet a lot but the flights from where I am just don't work for connections since they got rid of the direct to Toronto flight.  Plus I've learned that if I fly AC, I don't have to exit the terminal and go through security again.  

I'm looking at an Aeroplan card, specifically one of the American Express cards.  Anyone have these?  How is it?  The priority perks are attactive.  I'm still waiting to get an interview for Nexus. 

I just signed up for Aeroplan this year so dont' have many points earned towards status. 

I had the Amex Platinum card a couple of years ago. It was OK,  decent benefits, Amex cards are legendary for very good welcome bonuses and until COVID hit, were dead easy to churn. IIRC, the WBs change regularly, but if you time it right and if you can spend enough to make the minimum spend requirement, you can pull in over 100K in MR points, easily convertible to Aeroplan points just from the WB alone.  I think the Amex platinum card also has $200/year travel credit, but check on that. My daily driver now is the Aeroplan Visa Infinite Privilege card. Expensive but worth it for us. Decent but not fantastic WBs, very good Aeroplan points per $ spent, priority check in for AC flights, priority security at some airports, though overlaps with NEXUS lines, priority Zone 2 boarding (very important for getting a decent overhead bin ;o), one or two free bags, Maple Leaf Lounge access, automatic Aeroplan 25K status upon spending a certain amount each year etc.

Don't underestimate the value of the Welcome Bonuses, lots of free flying can be had by acquiring new cards with careful timing. One helpful trick to making minimum spends on new credit cards to get the welcome bonus is to wait until a final cruise payment is due, then paying it with the new credit card.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lx200gps said:

I had the Amex Platinum card a couple of years ago. It was OK,  decent benefits, Amex cards are legendary for very good welcome bonuses and until COVID hit, were dead easy to churn. IIRC, the WBs change regularly, but if you time it right and if you can spend enough to make the minimum spend requirement, you can pull in over 100K in MR points, easily convertible to Aeroplan points just from the WB alone.  I think the Amex platinum card also has $200/year travel credit, but check on that. My daily driver now is the Aeroplan Visa Infinite Privilege card. Expensive but worth it for us. Decent but not fantastic WBs, very good Aeroplan points per $ spent, priority check in for AC flights, priority security at some airports, though overlaps with NEXUS lines, priority Zone 2 boarding (very important for getting a decent overhead bin ;o), one or two free bags, Maple Leaf Lounge access, automatic Aeroplan 25K status upon spending a certain amount each year etc.

Don't underestimate the value of the Welcome Bonuses, lots of free flying can be had by acquiring new cards with careful timing. One helpful trick to making minimum spends on new credit cards to get the welcome bonus is to wait until a final cruise payment is due, then paying it with the new credit card.

you are correct. There is the travel credit. Or a cheaper ticket for a second person. 

I don’t think I saw that. We got a deal a few years ago on the Visa Infinite Privilege. On the yearly fee.  That’s what started me on this whole lounge thing. Back then they had Priority Pass but seems like PP isn’t as good anymore and I guess Visa IP is doing something else. 
Im going to have to look into that. Sounds like it has what I want. 

I’ll never forget the time I was in a work trip and made a mistake with my flight time at YVR. The cab driver broken the speed record getting me there and I got in just under the wire only to find a gigantic security line. I was sure I wasn’t making it. Then I noticed the sign that said priority lane for Visa Infinite Privilege members. I pull out my credit card because that sounded familiar.  Sure enough. It was. I still wasn’t sure but the guy waved me through. 
Made my flight with time to spare. 
Sadly this was only good at YVR, YOW and 1 other at that time. 

Thanks! 

I was a long time CP and then Aeroplan member.  Lots of business travel.

we gave up on Aeroplan.  It was no longer worthwhile so we switched to another travel card. 

We did try a few things first.  We started to fly on Aeroplan partner instead OS AC because the add on fees we so much less.   

the final straw came when the fees for a points ticket to LHR was about $80 less than the Transat fare.  Same for a AC reward flight to BA.  Fees were only slightly less than the AC advanced ticket purchase price.  We chose an Aeroplan United flight and saved $600. Each over the AC reward fee.

These we’re the final straws for us.  I still have some points left.  Since retiring 12 years ago I can only think of one international flight of mant that have been in AC.

We dropped the card and we joined the United plan.  This is where any points now accumulate for us.

• Like 2

We use the American Express Gold Rewards card. The price has recently increased to $250 per year but there are added perks I haven't had a chance to use.

Double points are earned for most travel charges, such as air, rail, cruises and hotels - and some retail. The Amex points can be transferred one-on-one to Aeroplan.

Regarding the "new" Aeroplan, the added fees have been reduced considerably.  Only taxes are added. It is still costly to fly from Britain, especially in Business or First class, due to an air passenger duty  over $300. But Canada to Britain and trips within Canada have low fees. Another advantage is the combining of points into a family account.

The bad news with the new Aeroplan is the difficulty getting a Business Class flight at a reasonable number of points.  For a long time I always got Toronto-Vancouver for 25,000 points. Now, most flights are over 100,000 points but if you check fequently it is possible to get it as low as 23,800 points. For this year's cruise from Vancouver and a return from a one-way train trip, I managed to get three flights for the two of us at that point level. But it isn't easy.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, david,Mississauga said:

We use the American Express Gold Rewards card. The price has recently increased to $250 per year but there are added perks I haven't had a chance to use.

Double points are earned for most travel charges, such as air, rail, cruises and hotels - and some retail. The Amex points can be transferred one-on-one to Aeroplan.

Regarding the "new" Aeroplan, the added fees have been reduced considerably.  Only taxes are added. It is still costly to fly from Britain, especially in Business or First class, due to an air passenger duty  over $300. But Canada to Britain and trips within Canada have low fees. Another advantage is the combining of points into a family account.

The bad news with the new Aeroplan is the difficulty getting a Business Class flight at a reasonable number of points.  For a long time I always got Toronto-Vancouver for 25,000 points. Now, most flights are over 100,000 points but if you check fequently it is possible to get it as low as 23,800 points. For this year's cruise from Vancouver and a return from a one-way train trip, I managed to get three flights for the two of us at that point level. But it isn't easy.

Could not agree more.

The very last straw for us came when we needed two one way reward tickets to Bangkok.

We both have Delta and Aeroplan points.   The Delta reward tickets cost us thousands of points less (as I recall about half) and $75 in fees pp vs $350 pp fees for the Aeroplan ticket.  Plus we got to travel on KAL vs United/ANA.  Better airline in our experience, not to mention a better connection.

We also found that when attempting to book business  class reward flights on Aeroplan we invariably got offered a mixed flight option at the higher price.  More than a few times it was business class to Toronto or Montreal but economy for the LHR, CDG etc, leg.  No sale!

Edited by iancal

48 minutes ago, iancal said:

Could not agree more.

The very last straw for us came when we needed two one way reward tickets to Bangkok.

We both have Delta and Aeroplan points.   The Delta reward tickets cost us thousands of points less (as I recall about half) and $75 in fees pp vs $350 pp fees for the Aeroplan ticket.  Plus we got to travel on KAL vs United/ANA.  Better airline in our experience, not to mention a better connection.

We also found that when attempting to book business  class reward flights on Aeroplan we invariably got offered a mixed flight option at the higher price.  More than a few times it was business class to Toronto or Montreal but economy for the LHR, CDG etc, leg.  No sale!

I was checking AP for flights to Barcelona next spring and yes, it could be as expensive as half a million points for two on pretty much any first world airline, including AC. It we were daring, however, we could have flown  to Barcelona via BOGOTA on Avianca or CAIRO on Egyptair for a lot less ;o)

The new Aeroplan program with its zone-based rewarding is a mixed blessing, bad for most but very good for others depending on your home base and your destinations. We routinely fly to one of FLL, LAX or SEA from YUL (3 or 4 times a year total), and under the old AP system, we would usually have to pay 60-80000 points for two cattle class tickets return. Under the new system, we rarely find pricing more than 45000 points and often under 40000.  For us, it's been a huge godsend.

26 minutes ago, lx200gps said:

I was checking AP for flights to Barcelona next spring and yes, it could be as expensive as half a million points for two on pretty much any first world airline, including AC. It we were daring, however, we could have flown  to Barcelona via BOGOTA on Avianca or CAIRO on Egyptair for a lot less ;o)

The new Aeroplan program with its zone-based rewarding is a mixed blessing, bad for most but very good for others depending on your home base and your destinations. We routinely fly to one of FLL, LAX or SEA from YUL (3 or 4 times a year total), and under the old AP system, we would usually have to pay 60-80000 points for two cattle class tickets return. Under the new system, we rarely find pricing more than 45000 points and often under 40000.  For us, it's been a huge godsend.

Hmm.

We generally fly much more to the US than anywhere else but I would like to do Europe again soon. 

Also, I fly out of Halifax so most of the time there is a connection somewhere along the way, usually YYZ or YUL. 

Edited by 1kaper

1 hour ago, broberts said:

Gave up on Aeroplan many years ago when the fees on a points use actually exceeded the cost of a regular ticket on the same flight.

Do you use anything now?

I recently booked a trip on my Amex point and the fees were quite steep as well. Trying to decide what my best option is. 

Most of our post retirement  air is international.  Very little Canada or US unless it is a stop to change aircraft. Europe, SE Asia, Mexico, or Central America.

That may be the difference.  We now use remaining Aeroplan our points for the grossly overpriced fares to places like Ft. Mac.  No more Florida or California air since retiring.

Edited by iancal

2 hours ago, 1kaper said:

Do you use anything now?

I recently booked a trip on my Amex point and the fees were quite steep as well. Trying to decide what my best option is. 

No. I've concluded that rewards programs are not worth the bother.

We use a Capital one world elite travel cash back card.  grandfathered.  Not certain they offer this card any more.  This replaced our former CIBC Aeroplan card

We use an Amex Marriott Bonvoy card which gives us one free night per year.

We use a no fee Home Trust Visa card for all foreign transactions.  It does nor charge the 2.5 percent admin fee on FX transactions like our previous CIBC Aeroplan card.  This saves us anywhere from $300-$600 per year in fx bank admin fees depending on our travel expenses and our FX purchases.

……plus a few other no fee backup cards.

few others

Edited by iancal
  • Like 2

On 6/7/2022 at 12:12 PM, 1kaper said:

Not exactly cruise related but since I'm planning to fly to cruises

I have the Royal Bank Avion Visa Infinite and  AMEX Platinum Business. 

They both have their own points system.  You can use those point to book onto either WestJet, Air Canada or anyone else. 

The AMEX card is expensive but comes with lounge access.  I find when I travel that the all I want before a flight is something fairly light.  Lounge food will do.  That easily pays for the card vrs what I would spending in the airport.   AMEX is a great card providers, but it is not as widely accepted as others.   You also get a bump up in some of the hotel programs if those are hotels you use.  Points can be transfered to Aeroplan, but you can sometimes get a better deal using them within AMEX system.

Royal bank is the same way, except without the lounge access.  It has its own point system,  When you book hotels or air in the program portal you can pay with points or cash.  Usually the cash rate is lower than anywhere else.  They have special rates with Air Canada they access.  However you can not earn Aeroplan points on these special rates.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, broberts said:

No. I've concluded that rewards programs are not worth the bother.

For you personally, I'm sure that's the case. I think a lot depends on the program and how you accumulate points. I've been an Aeroplan member since its inception in the 80s, accumulated a decent but not world class number of points over the years while flying on business. (An old boss of mine made the 2 million point tier, but I was never close to that). Even now, 8 years after retirement and no longer flying on business, we are able to collect enough AP points through routine spending to fly 2 or 3 times a year, albeit inside North America, on points alone, barely making a dent in our slowly declining points balance. Measured against the cash purchase price of the tickets, we save thousands a year.  Other than maybe $150 in "charges" each trip for the two of us, we haven't "paid for" an airline ticket in many decades.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lx200gps said:

For you personally, I'm sure that's the case. I think a lot depends on the program and how you accumulate points. I've been an Aeroplan member since its inception in the 80s, accumulated a decent but not world class number of points over the years while flying on business. (An old boss of mine made the 2 million point tier, but I was never close to that). Even now, 8 years after retirement and no longer flying on business, we are able to collect enough AP points through routine spending to fly 2 or 3 times a year, albeit inside North America, on points alone, barely making a dent in our slowly declining points balance. Measured against the cash purchase price of the tickets, we save thousands a year.  Other than maybe $150 in "charges" each trip for the two of us, we haven't "paid for" an airline ticket in many decades.

The thing that kills me with Aeroplan is you still have to spend $3000 a year to get 25k status.  Or am I missing something. 

5 hours ago, em-sk said:

I have the Royal Bank Avion Visa Infinite and  AMEX Platinum Business. 

They both have their own points system.  You can use those point to book onto either WestJet, Air Canada or anyone else. 

The AMEX card is expensive but comes with lounge access.  I find when I travel that the all I want before a flight is something fairly light.  Lounge food will do.  That easily pays for the card vrs what I would spending in the airport.   AMEX is a great card providers, but it is not as widely accepted as others.   You also get a bump up in some of the hotel programs if those are hotels you use.  Points can be transfered to Aeroplan, but you can sometimes get a better deal using them within AMEX system.

Royal bank is the same way, except without the lounge access.  It has its own point system,  When you book hotels or air in the program portal you can pay with points or cash.  Usually the cash rate is lower than anywhere else.  They have special rates with Air Canada they access.  However you can not earn Aeroplan points on these special rates.  

I've currently have the RBC Visa Infinite. And the Cobalt Amex.  
I just learned you can transfer points to Aeroplan after starting this whole process. 
I definitely want lounge access.  We almost always have to connect in Toronto or Montreal.  

9 minutes ago, 1kaper said:

The thing that kills me with Aeroplan is you still have to spend $3000 a year to get 25k status.  Or am I missing something. 

;o)  yes and no. You don't "...have to spend $3000 a year to get 25K status", you GET 25K status once you've spent $3000. Not sure it's only $3000, pretty sure it's a lot more than that but I do know that simply paying for a few balcony cabins for two per year, given the AP multiplier on our CC, as well as our other usual spends for the house, etc, easily give us enough to get the status, as well as padding our AP points balances.

14 minutes ago, 1kaper said:

I've currently have the RBC Visa Infinite. And the Cobalt Amex.  
I just learned you can transfer points to Aeroplan after starting this whole process. 
I definitely want lounge access.  We almost always have to connect in Toronto or Montreal.  

Sure can, at least you used to. I doubt it's changed. It's also very easy to do, I did it a few years ago when I cancelled my AMEX Platinum card, and xfered all my MR points into my Aeroplan account.

3 minutes ago, lx200gps said:

;o)  yes and no. You don't "...have to spend $3000 a year to get 25K status", you GET 25K status once you've spent $3000. Not sure it's only $3000, pretty sure it's a lot more than that but I do know that simply paying for a few balcony cabins for two per year, given the AP multiplier on our CC, as well as our other usual spends for the house, etc, easily give us enough to get the status, as well as padding our AP points balances.

Oh I thought it was $3000 at Air Canada? Like in order to get 25k status on Aeroplan you need to fly so many segments or miles AND spend $3000.  

8 minutes ago, lx200gps said:

Sure can, at least you used to. I doubt it's changed. It's also very easy to do, I did it a few years ago when I cancelled my AMEX Platinum card, and xfered all my MR points into my Aeroplan account.

I also just learned (while trying to search something for the last post) that those transferred Aeroplan points don't count towards gaining status. Ugh. 

4 minutes ago, 1kaper said:

I also just learned (while trying to search something for the last post) that those transferred Aeroplan points don't count towards gaining status. Ugh. 

Nope, they don't. Other than a few CCs giving lowest status (25K), the only practical way to get status is to fly a lot, preferably if someone else is paying  ;o)

• Haha 1

Just now, lx200gps said:

Nope, they don't. Other than a few CCs giving lowest status (25K), the only practical way to get status is to fly a lot, preferably if someone else is paying  ;o)

I'm good with lowest status.  I would like the priority stuff, first checked bag and lounge access.  
I can get that with a regular travel card or Aeroplan.  
I just can't decide which to go with now. 

7 minutes ago, 1kaper said:

Oh I thought it was $3000 at Air Canada? Like in order to get 25k status on Aeroplan you need to fly so many segments or miles AND spend $3000.  

IIRC it's a certain minimum spend only, but only with certain cards. No flying is required.  There's a great web site run by a guy named Ricky Zhang out of Toronto, called PrinceOfTravel.com, and he's a wealth of knowledge on points, credit cards, lounges, CC churning, etc. His weekly blog is particularly good.

2 minutes ago, lx200gps said:

IIRC it's a certain minimum spend only, but only with certain cards. No flying is required.  There's a great web site run by a guy named Ricky Zhang out of Toronto, called PrinceOfTravel.com, and he's a wealth of knowledge on points, credit cards, lounges, CC churning, etc. His weekly blog is particularly good.

I think I read an article or two last night.  I'll check it out.  Thanks.