Anyone have an issue getting your covid test done too early for the three day time frame for a Alaskan land/cruise tour?

compozer

Princess states:

The test must be medically observed and can be an antigen test taken within two days of the start of your tour or a PCR test taken within three days of the start of your tour.

We arrive in Fairbanks at 8:45 pm on Tuesday.   I called Walgreens to make an appointment to be tested on Sunday.  The pharmacist suggested that we do the PCR test on Saturday instead.  She said several customers say they had issues with the rapid test not being good enough for their travel.    My son and I have to teach a scuba class Saturday afternoon so we would need to go between 9 and 10 am.  That is within 3 days as stated in the Princess letter.   I am just worried they will say it is over 72 hours.     

Will we be ok???

Do I need to print out the  updated covid testing rules stating within three day??    Technically is it within three days?

It all may vary when you check in, but Princesses rules clearly state the requirements in terms of days, and not hours.  Likewise, they provide specific examples in days, and not hours.  So I wouldn’t worry at all about being 3 days, but 75 hours out on your testing.  We tested on a Wednesday morning, and boarded Saturday afternoon, with no issues.

One note - the info you quoted  (“The test must be medically observed and can be an antigen test taken within two days of the start of your tour or a PCR test taken within three days of the start of your tour.”) is for vaccinated, but not current (booster received of applicable).  If you’ve received your booster, the antigen test window is also 3 days.  It’s confusing because they state it incorrectly in at least one part of the FAQ’s, but it’s clear in the testing portion of the FAQ.

Edited by WAvoyager

So is the pharmacy steering you towards a PCR instead of a rapid test?  If so, I would ignore the advice.  All three Walgreens tests (antigen, NAAT, and the PCR) have been consistently accepted for cruising.  There is absolutely no reason to do the PCR test that might not have results back in time.  I would stick with your original plan to go Sunday and get the rapid test.  

The pharmacist may be thinking of other travel.  Initially, the only one accepted for flying to many countries was the PCR (I'm not sure that is true anywhere anymore).  Those initial requirements are why many of the pharmacies have a note that the rapid tests might not be suitable for travel.

• Like 1

Thanks WAvoyager, 

We all are boostered.   I always need a plan B and lately, I have also had a plan C.    With so many flight issues lately,  a concern is:   what happens if our flight is delayed and we get in after midnight?   Then it is really 4 days.    The pharmacist was concerned that it would take three days to get the results but it really does not matter if we don't get the results until we arrive in Fairbanks., 

Are you starting with a land tour first?

Its different than starting the cruise first.

1 hour ago, compozer said:

Princess states:

The test must be medically observed and can be an antigen test taken within two days of the start of your tour or a PCR test taken within three days of the start of your tour.

We arrive in Fairbanks at 8:45 pm on Tuesday.   I called Walgreens to make an appointment to be tested on Sunday.  The pharmacist suggested that we do the PCR test on Saturday instead.  She said several customers say they had issues with the rapid test not being good enough for their travel.    My son and I have to teach a scuba class Saturday afternoon so we would need to go between 9 and 10 am.  That is within 3 days as stated in the Princess letter.   I am just worried they will say it is over 72 hours.     

Will we be ok???

Do I need to print out the  updated covid testing rules stating within three day??    Technically is it within three days?

Princess states:

Will we be ok???

Are you starting the land tour

first?  You are not really clear on if it is

the land first…

It is different …here’s what it says
On the website for land tour first:

We have implemented a new requirement for southbound (land first) cruisetours:

• Guests 2 years of age and older must now produce a medically observed negative viral COVID-19 test result at the start of their pre-cruise land tour.
  • The test must be medically observed and can be an antigen test taken within two days of the start of your tour or a PCR test taken within three days of the start of your tour. At-home medically observed antigen tests such as from Optum are allowed.
  • A COVID-19 test prior to embarkation of the cruise portion of the cruisetour will be provided on a complimentary basis.
  • For guests who end their cruise in Vancouver and are flying back into the U.S., please review requirements for returning to the U.S. via air.
  • Guests who purchase our motorcoach transportation Vancouver to Seattle are not required to have a negative test to reenter the U.S.

9 minutes ago, compozer said:

Thanks WAvoyager, 

We all are boostered.   I always need a plan B and lately, I have also had a plan C.    With so many flight issues lately,  a concern is:   what happens if our flight is delayed and we get in after midnight?   Then it is really 4 days.    The pharmacist was concerned that it would take three days to get the results but it really does not matter if we don't get the results until we arrive in Fairbanks., 

Why not get/use the proctored online antigen tests?  You can order them ahead of time for about $25, bring them with you, and take the test anytime during the 2 or 3 day window.  You just need internet access, and 20 min to take the test.

Princess states:

Will we be ok???

If your on a land tour first…

you could do the antigen on Sunday

if your land tour starts on Tuesday in Fairbanks.  Or if there is time, order your Optum tests and do it yourself at home on Sunday.  

Does your land tour start on Tuesday in Fairbanks?  

There are a lot of discussions on CC about land tour Alaska requirements. Also do you

have a roll call for your

land tour cruise?  I’d check on there too.

Edited by PacnGoNow

38 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

Are you starting with a land tour first?

Its different than starting the cruise first.

Are you starting the land tour

first?  You are not really clear on if it is

the land first…

It is different …here’s what it says
On the website for land tour first:

We have implemented a new requirement for southbound (land first) cruisetours:

• Guests 2 years of age and older must now produce a medically observed negative viral COVID-19 test result at the start of their pre-cruise land tour.
  • The test must be medically observed and can be an antigen test taken within two days of the start of your tour or a PCR test taken within three days of the start of your tour. At-home medically observed antigen tests such as from Optum are allowed.
  • A COVID-19 test prior to embarkation of the cruise portion of the cruisetour will be provided on a complimentary basis.
  • For guests who end their cruise in Vancouver and are flying back into the U.S., please review requirements for returning to the U.S. via air.
  • Guests who purchase our motorcoach transportation Vancouver to Seattle are not required to have a negative test to reenter the U.S.

Yes, land first.      Yes, starting in Fairbanks.   

I don't see any difference.  2 days for rapid and 3 for PCR.  What am I missing.    I have 18 test kits but prefer to have it done for us.   On a roll call but no one has mentioned testing prior to land portion.     I was asking if anyone has had issues - no one on roll call has done them yet.

7 minutes ago, compozer said:

Yes, land first.      Yes, starting in Fairbanks.   

I don't see any difference.  2 days for rapid and 3 for PCR.  What am I missing.    I have 18 test kits but prefer to have it done for us.   On a roll call but no one has mentioned testing prior to land portion.     I was asking if anyone has had issues - no one on roll call has done them yet.

Yes, I agree.  If you were going cruise first, then it would be the regular testing.

Vaxed and boosted you can do

antigen or pcr 3 days ahead.  

Land first 2 days antigen or pcr 3 days.

Thats the only difference I see.

You’re good. It also says they test you complimentary to get on the ship. So

thats good.

Have a great tour and cruise.

Edited by PacnGoNow

48 minutes ago, WAvoyager said:

Why not get/use the proctored online antigen tests?  You can order them ahead of time for about $25, bring them with you, and take the test anytime during the 2 or 3 day window.  You just need internet access, and 20 min to take the test.

As I said, I have many tests already but for the four of us, I think it is just easier to go in and be tested.

I think we will do the rapid one two days prior.   Thanks for taking the time to post