Silversea Vs Seabourn Comparison Recent Experience

galeforce9

12 hours ago, jollyjones said:

Luggage getting wet is one reason why I pack all my clothes in large compression bags. It's not so much to be able to cram more in my case, but more to keep everything sorted out tidily and safely DRY!

Packing cubes will keep things tidy, but compression bags keep them dry.

Great idea 🙂

19 minutes ago, crickette said:

How do you use compression bags on the way home?  Do you use the ship's vaccuum?

No need to use a vacuum ever, just sit on them. I avoid the bags that have a suction nozzle somewhere in the middle of the bag and use the ones that exhaust the air from the end.

Roll up any unfilled bit of bag from the zipper end then I sit on it on a the bed to start with, then a hard surface such as the coffee table (carefully) if I want them really squashed flat.

It helps if you buy bags the correct size to fit your suitcase - do some measurements!

If you can only find the ones with the nozzle in the middle, you can still sit on the bigger section and press down with your hands on the smaller section and that will work, just not so efficiently. Your clothes will still stay dry.

Edited by jollyjones
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jollyjones said:

No need to use a vacuum ever, just sit on them. I avoid the bags that have a suction nozzle somewhere in the middle of the bag and use the ones that exhaust the air from the end.

Roll up any unfilled bit of bag from the zipper end then I sit on it on a the bed to start with, then a hard surface such as the coffee table (carefully) if I want them really squashed flat.

You do realise that conjures up a picture... of me and my husband squashing the life out of a bag whilst both sat on the table in our suite, (best done after a big meal)  or rolling round on the floor making them flat!  

I think I'd ask to borrow a vacuum, and clean a suite in payment 😂

• Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...

We have been on two Seabourn Ovation cruises recently -  December/January and 

March/April.  Our recent Silver Muse cruise was a B2B Alaska cruise in June/July.  

The Seabourn Holiday cruise in December did not start off well in the Restaurant.  I spoke to the Maitre D' and expressed my disappointment about the entrees and others did also.  Within a few days the food was much better and Seabourn had dispatched the head of food and beverage from Miami to oversee the kitchen problem.  From then on food and service on both Seabourn cruises was very good, even though it was obvious that Covid had caused some staffing problems.  The Maitre D' continually thanked me for my criticism which seemed to help in replacing the Chef.

Our first meal on Silver Muse was also a big disappointment.  We decided to dine in what is the nearest thing to a main restaurant which is called Atlantide.  Service was very slow and the food was barely acceptable.  Since we were sailing for 14 days we decided to try all the other dining venues and were much happier with IndoChine and the Italian restaurant which is created from the Buffet Restaurant in the evenings.  But our best meals were at the tiny intimate night club room called Silver Note where reservations are hard to come by.  As a comparison, for my second dinner in Atlantide I had ordered Duckling a l'Orange.  What was presented was half a of tough, dry duck which had no taste and was complete with large bone.

In Silver Note the duckling was served with slices of  medium rare duck (as requested) and it was as tender as filet mignon.  No skin or bones.  The sauce was its equal.

Service on the Silver Muse was fantastic and the ship has many very nice cocktail lounges, all of which have very pleasant ambiance.  On the Seabourn small ships there are only two inside lounges that serve drinks before dinner and the larger two ships add a lounge adjoining the Thomas Keller restaurant.  But we preferred the greater choice of Silversea public lounges and the very personal service.

However, even though the Seabourn caviar is not as good as it was formerly, it was still way better than that offered by Silversea.  The Silversea caviar had absolutely no taste and the little eggs were actually crunchy.  On Seabourn you could put a serving in your mouth and you could enjoy the flavor as it dissolved.   So each line had its ups and downs.  We found the Seabourn passengers a little more friendly,  Perhaps the more 

strict dress code on Silversea tended to make folks a little more aloof.

• Thanks 3