What will Cozumel be like with 9 ships in port?

Ellaleah

It will be my first and maybe only trip to Cozumel.  Should I expect 9 ships to make it super crowded?  I’m thinking that places like Mr Sanchos and Paradise Beach could be ridiculously crowded.  Would it be wise to have reservations or a tour planned?

8 hours ago, Ellaleah said:

It will be my first and maybe only trip to Cozumel.  Should I expect 9 ships to make it super crowded?  I’m thinking that places like Mr Sanchos and Paradise Beach could be ridiculously crowded.  Would it be wise to have reservations or a tour planned?

I think reservations are wise for any of the beach places that take them. There’s enough stories on here of taxis not even willing to take folks to PB or NC if they don’t have a reservation.

If you don’t want to make a reservation, then I would devise a backup plan.

14 hours ago, Ellaleah said:

it will certainly be busy although not unheard of at the peak of the season. I believe 8 ships can currently dock?

In previous years I have known even more ships to be scheduled. We seek out quieter locations rather than the prime beach clubs, which are always “ busy”  but I was surprised by reports from recent cruisers which suggested Paradise Beach was busy with only 6 ships in port and was pushing for an AI model. Not sure if there is a shortage in the work force (like many places) or increase day trippers from the mainland avoiding sargassum. If you have settled on somewhere/something I would definitely make a reservation, or be willing to go with the flow and have a back-up.

I am not sure when you are sailing or where you have checked but keep in mind some of the port schedules are still inaccurate. 

Edited by c-leg5

49 minutes ago, tetleytea said:

We had 4 ships.  I can imagine 9 ships would be nuts.

You got off light then! I am assuming that was in the summer.

Of course it really depends on the size of the ships more than anything.

Edited by c-leg5

1 hour ago, c-leg5 said:

ou got off light then! I am assuming that was in the summer.

Of course it really depends on the size of the ships more than anything.

Edited 1 hour ago by c-leg5

I will be on the Celebration that stops there on 12/29/22.

Been to Cozumel three times and always use Mr. Crecencio Lopez.  He now has his own agency, BlackHat Tours and I highly recommend them.  (reservation@blackhattours.com) On our second tour with him, my father, unknown to us, was experiencing a heart attack and when we returned to the States and dad subsequently died, Crescencio upon learning of this tragedy, sent us photos, with Dad in it, that he had taken during our tour. This meant so much to  us.  Just a very nice man who has always lived on Cozumel and will create an excellent tour for you at a very reasonable price. You will really need a tour if that many ships are in port.

• Like 2

Yeah it more depends on what the other 8 ships that are docking with you.

You get any of the bigger ships from Carnival or NCL with 4,000-5,000 passenger or an Oasis class monstrocity docked for Royal and it'll be crowded.

4 mega ships will have more passengers than 8-9 smaller ships.

One time in Cozumel we had 6 ships. More important than the pure number of ships... is when your ship docks in relation to the others.

Ours was the last to arrive. We had rezzies for Sanchos. Everyone we talked to when waiting for  taxi asked us. No worries. 

We got there... and we were on the far, far, FAR end of the beach. Took forever to get any service, had any drinks brought to us, etc. 

We ended up basically spending most of the day by the pool and just getting drinks from the pool bar.