Galapagos advice

JerseyGem

So I guess this is the current generic Galapagos thread. Back to flying in early; if I were to do that, how much does Celebrity charge for an extra night at the JWM? I can book it myself for under $200. And if I book on my own, presumably I'd need to make my own way to the hotel, rather than having Celebrity get us a cab.

Friends we are sailing with (we booked the 10-night package) don't want to stick around in Quito after we get back and were thinking of booking a flight back that day, but I'm guessing that is not a good idea given that the charter flight may be late getting back (as a review mentioned happened to them on arrival at the ship). They were going to ask Celebrity to move the hotel night from the end to the start of the cruise, but that's not gonna happen.

Edited by MisterBill99

We are flying in on Thursday, a day early, for the 10 day trip on the Flora, using Marriott points for the extra night. Celebrity told me that they would have someone at the airport to greet me and get me to the Marriott if I would tell them in advance my flight numbers.  
The actual cruise begins and ends on Sundays, and Celebrity pays for the hotel that last night.  You fly out the next day, Monday (unfortunately for me, 11:55 PM).
 I read somewhere that the Marriott will hold your luggage that last day if you want to tour.

B27CE370-21E6-433A-92B3-C96704CE77F8.jpeg

• Like 1

My wife and I are both 70 in fair health with some balance issues. We are just starting to get back into cruise and are contemplating doing a Galapagos tour for late 2023 or early 2024. As walking unsteady terrain would not be advisable, we wondering if this is a trip we should simply eschew or if there exists nice work arounds for people like us. We would like to experience as immersive trip as possible. And are wondering what agency, cruise line, or private tour company would provide the best experience for us. Looking for about 10 to 14 day trip. As I have health conditions would also need a trip the would afford good access to medical provisions.

17 hours ago, eddieg07410 said:

My wife and I are both 70 in fair health with some balance issues. We are just starting to get back into cruise and are contemplating doing a Galapagos tour for late 2023 or early 2024. As walking unsteady terrain would not be advisable, we wondering if this is a trip we should simply eschew or if there exists nice work arounds for people like us. We would like to experience as immersive trip as possible. And are wondering what agency, cruise line, or private tour company would provide the best experience for us. Looking for about 10 to 14 day trip. As I have health conditions would also need a trip the would afford good access to medical provisions.

Our Celebrity cruise with land tour was well run and the ship, Xpediton was great.

I am 74 and we handled all the "long walks" that were offered.  Some included walking up hill.  One we hiked up to the top of an extinct volcano.  Another we hiked up a small mountain.   Other hikes were at sea level and did require stepping over volcanic rock.

We were offered options, usually two or three options.   One was more strenuous that others (long walk).  Snorkeling was offered.   I snorkeled twice and enjoyed it, but after doing a long walk, snorkel and another long walk, I was tired.  I could have snorkeled more.   A couple of times there were options where you stayed on the Zodiac (inflatable boat) and viewed the wildlife and seal life from there.

Take note that half of the landing on the beaches involve wet landings where you have to carry your walking shoes and socks in a bag and put them on after get off the zodiac.   About half of the landings are dry landings where you land at a rock formation or small dock instead of a beach.

On 6/18/2022 at 10:52 AM, Suzanne123 said:

We are flying in on Thursday, a day early, for the 10 day trip on the Flora, using Marriott points for the extra night. Celebrity told me that they would have someone at the airport to greet me and get me to the Marriott if I would tell them in advance my flight numbers.  
The actual cruise begins and ends on Sundays, and Celebrity pays for the hotel that last night.  You fly out the next day, Monday (unfortunately for me, 11:55 PM).
 I read somewhere that the Marriott will hold your luggage that last day if you want to tour.

Thanks, that is good to hear about being able to add the first night on your own and still get transportation included. Our friends are planning to fly out (also a very late flight) on the night that we return from the cruise and not use that last night, but that's their decision.

From Celebrity re: pre and post stays in Quito

“Should you find your flight times have changed prior to departure, please notify us with the updated information. Please note, the package ends with hotel check out time at the JW Hotel, which is 12 PM on 16-Jan-23. Should you prefer to stay in your room longer on the 16th, you will need a late check out booked with the hotel. Late check out through 7 pm is $45 + tax and beyond 7 PM will be a full nights rate.”

• Like 1

So it turns out that Celebrity won't allow you to book a flight for the last day of the cruise if you have the hotel room booked as part of the package, even if the flight is at 11:55pm. So our friends won't be flying home that day.