What does butler service mean?

TravelingGiGi

14 hours ago, ORV said:

Not at all, you might be told no, but a Butler with clout could make it happen for you. 

Am I to understand that not all butlers are created equal? And that the level of service you can expect varies depending on the luck of the draw?  So you and I could in theory pay the same amount for a cruise with a butler and have different results in getting reservations or whatever service?  

Seems like a strange way to run a railroad or cruise line.   How do I know if I’mg getting a butler with clout nor one who has no clout?  Should we start rating the “Cloutiness” of butlers?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, navelgunner said:

Am I to understand that not all butlers are created equal? And that the level of service you can expect varies depending on the luck of the draw?  So you and I could in theory pay the same amount for a cruise with a butler and have different results in getting reservations or whatever service?  

Seems like a strange way to run a railroad or cruise line.   How do I know if I’mg getting a butler with clout nor one who has no clout?  Should we start rating the “Cloutiness” of butlers?

Are you trying to be amusing? Yes, that's pretty much the way things are, shouldn't be, but it is. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, navelgunner said:

If you are not happy with your Butler  talk to the GM or the Head Concierge

They are trained the same way but human nature not all people will do their job the same way

I have read  that people get their butlers replaced 

If you do not report a problem  it will not be fixed

JMO

2 hours ago, navelgunner said:

So you and I could in theory pay the same amount for a cruise with a butler and have different results in getting reservations or whatever service?  

Yes, but you could experience that in pretty much any aspect of the hospitality industry. Go to a restaurant and your enjoyment of the experience may differ depending on the quality of the server

• Like 1

So let me tell you how invaluable our Butler, Ari,  has been on current cruise.   We are in PH room with Covid and he takes all our meal orders, delivers them outside the door, gently knocks and then when DH gets to door in mask, he asks what else we may need.  He’s brought carafes of hot water, big  bottles of water for room, the WSJ and takes the trash.  There is no room cleaning (although our cabin stewardess unlocked the divider with next room and washed the outside doors and windows as she deemed we needed to see the world float by and  held up a sign to feel better soon).   We too hadn’t made full use of a butler, but this has been above and beyond.   

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, slw207693 said:

So let me tell you how invaluable our Butler, Ari,  has been on current cruise.   We are in PH room with Covid and he takes all our meal orders, delivers them outside the door, gently knocks and then when DH gets to door in mask, he asks what else we may need.  He’s brought carafes of hot water, big  bottles of water for room, the WSJ and takes the trash.  There is no room cleaning (although our cabin stewardess unlocked the divider with next room and washed the outside doors and windows as she deemed we needed to see the world float by and  held up a sign to feel better soon).   We too hadn’t made full use of a butler, but this has been above and beyond.   

This is similar to our experience on the Nautica when we contracted Covid.  Our butler was invaluable.  There were many things he did to make our confinement as easy as possible.  He served us three meals a day with the trolley outside the door.  Asked if there was anything else we wanted.  if we skipped a meal, he would call and asked if we were hungry.  He brought us books, etc,  Extra bottle of champagne. And many other things.   We were very appreciative and we compensated him nicely at the end.

Terri

• Like 1