Wine for non-rule breakers?

zeldamom

I've heard that HAL allows wine to be carried on board. I can't find information about this on their website; anyone know how much (one bottle per passenger or more)?

Also, has anyone taken a bottle of scotch on board HAL, or do they only allow wine?

This is copied/pasted from their website:

Please note: Other than wine and/or champagne, bottles of alcoholic beverages purchased onboard or otherwise brought on the ship cannot be consumed on the ship. If the bottles are purchased duty free from the ship's gift shop or at ports of call, they will be collected for safekeeping and delivered to your stateroom on the last day of the voyage. A member of our Security Staff and Housekeeping Staff will be at the gangway to assist with the storage of your alcoholic beverage purchases.

http://www.hollandamerica.com/onboard/gifts.do?gifts=beverages

I don't believe there is a limit on the amount of wine you can bring aboard. I would think a handtruck with five cases might attract some attention. I recall bringing six bottles on for a 15 day cruise for in-cabin consumption. HAL has some of the higher prices for wine among cruise lines-about 30% more than Crystal for example.

Gary

I am sailing on the Volendam March 23 on a 10 day Southern Carribean Cruise.

I have talked to HAL and there is no problem in me boarding two (2) cases of champagne and one case of Riesling....I am having a birthday during this cruise and my companion only drinks champagne! They told me no limit to wine or champagne but hard liquor or beer was a no go!:)

We have never been on HAL, but are looking into it for a future cruise, however, we have brought a case of wine/port on to at least 3 different cruise lines. We bring it to the dining room to have with dinner, and pay a corkage fee. We do not do this to save money, we do it because we are wine collectors, and like to have our better wines with our meals while on board. Comparable wines from the cruise ship wine lists would end up costing us $150 a bottle, and that we are not willing to pay. We have sailed Princess, Celebrity and Norwegian, and have done this. Also, by the way, we use a wine shipper that is lined with styrofoam. My husband usually adds a bottle of vodka too, and they never check to see what's in the case.

Archived