Just an FYI (NOT a thread/debate about dress code)

Dreamer333

We were on Caribbean Princess May 28th sailing. The first day our group had lunch in mdr and they made sure to tell everyone in line, not just us, shorts were not allowed in dining room after the first day. Hubby and I met a younger man in an elevator a few days later and he was on his way back to his cabin to change out of his shorts into long pants. Said he was turned away at entrance to mdr for having shorts on.  So enforcement of dress code must vary by ship and/or staff working on board. 

4 hours ago, Dreamer333 said:

Yes. And to add to my original post, the "no shorts" was directed to men, not women. I saw women with nice shorts (or shorts jumpers) being allowed in.

I'm not sure if you meant on subsequent nights or the first night but if my husband would have seen that he would have worn his shorts and then pointed it out to the head waiter.

It things like that double standard that start all the problems. 

1 hour ago, MissP22 said:

I'm not sure if you meant on subsequent nights or the first night but if my husband would have seen that he would have worn his shorts and then pointed it out to the head waiter.

It things like that double standard that start all the problems. 

There are many double standards that are appropriate, for example a woman being sleeveless in a strappy dress or in a dressy sequined tank top would work even on formal nights. A man sleeveless in a tank top, not so much. 

And let’s be honest, unless your husband is a fashion designer he wouldn’t notice shorts if part of a romper since they usually look like a skirt. 

• Like 1

Allowing women shorts sure sounds sexist to me.  Even so, I am on the Caribbean, and it hasn't seemed to be an issue simply because women haven't done it.  My bigger problem is how the information is disseminated.  You have to go to the MDR the first night and happen to stand near a man who is wearing shorts (or be that man), so you can hear him get warned.  

1 hour ago, tetleytea said:

Allowing women shorts sure sounds sexist to me...My bigger problem is how the information is disseminated.  You have to go to the MDR the first night and happen to stand near a man who is wearing shorts (or be that man), so you can hear him get warned.  

You are correct. Princess posts this on their website, for anyone to read, under What To Pack, for both men and women. "Pool or beach attire, shorts, ball caps and casual jeans (with fraying and/or holes) are not welcomed in the dining rooms. Shoes must be worn." It is also posted outside at least some of the dining rooms. People have been advised.

Their Bermudan flagged ship, their company (with a British P&O lineage and more formal dining) their policies. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, mtnesterz said:

You are correct. Princess posts this on their website, for anyone to read, under What To Pack, for both men and women. "Pool or beach attire, shorts, ball caps and casual jeans (with fraying and/or holes) are not welcomed in the dining rooms. Shoes must be worn." It is also posted outside at least some of the dining rooms. People have been advised.

Their Bermudan flagged ship, their company (with a British P&O lineage and more formal dining) their policies. 

Oh, so Princess is actually going AGAINST their advertised policy?  Only for women? 

51 minutes ago, tetleytea said:

Oh, so Princess is actually going AGAINST their advertised policy?  Only for women? 

Kinda like what @MissP22 posted above about standards. We can all agree that on the first and last night, luggage arrival and set out dictates attire. Right now I don't think any line wants to dissuade anyone from cruising, but I did see a guy refused in March for wearing shorts to the MDR.

I always come back to the adage of travel, "When in Rome..." Their company, their rules. If I want to cruise with them, or go ashore in a foreign country for that matter, It's incumbent on me to know what to wear, things to do and not to do, and get back to the ship on time. We visited an Islamic country years ago. As was requested, my DW did not wear shorts, short dresses, or sleveless tops.  

Should be equal true, but I have no problem if people are refused. They're supposed to know.

• Like 2

Their policies that Princess actually imposes need to match the policies on the sites and signs.  Otherwise no one reads them; because they're not credible.  

I would be surprised if Princess ever openly advertised in writing, front-and-center:. "women can wear shorts.  Men cannot ".  There would be an overblown (but warranted) firestorm.  That doesn't fit Princess marketing's style.   In their world, everything is wonderful. 

3 hours ago, mtnesterz said:

Kinda like what @MissP22 posted above about standards. We can all agree that on the first and last night, luggage arrival and set out dictates attire. Right now I don't think any line wants to dissuade anyone from cruising, but I did see a guy refused in March for wearing shorts to the MDR.

I always come back to the adage of travel, "When in Rome..." Their company, their rules. If I want to cruise with them, or go ashore in a foreign country for that matter, It's incumbent on me to know what to wear, things to do and not to do, and get back to the ship on time. We visited an Islamic country years ago. As was requested, my DW did not wear shorts, short dresses, or sleveless tops.  

Should be equal true, but I have no problem if people are refused. They're supposed to know.

On the Enchanted this spring, shorts were OK on casual evenings in the DR for both men and women. As well as on Formal nights just a sport shirt and dockers/jeans would suffice. We'll be back on the Enchanted this winter once again so it should be interesting to see if anything has changed.(I doubt it)

btw- this was with 2 different Maître D's one which is known to be more strict about DR dress protocol.