Just been downgraded!

mumoftwo

And QE cruises now back on sale......including Deluxe Inside Cabins for our stretch....this gets more odd.....cunard agent who was convinced that 4 berth cabins below GC grade existed said the cruise was fully booked.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bluemarble said:

As an aside, is anyone able to spot where this ¥ symbol is used on the QE deck plans? That symbol appears in the "Key to symbols" on the QE deck plans with the description "Indicates 3rd and 4th berths are single sofabeds". I can't find any cabins where that symbol is used though.

I kept three older QE deck plans in my computer, from 2017 2019 and 2020.  None of them shows the Yen symbol in the "key to symbols" list, and none of the cabins has that symbol.  As @bluemarble points out, the current 2022 QE plan does have the Yen symbol in the key list, but not by any cabin.

The current QV 2022 plan has the Yen symbol in the key list, and also on cabins 7.150 and 7.171, the Aquitania and Berengaria suites aft on deck 7.  On QE, these two cabins are 7.150 and 7.177, the Rostron and Bisset suites.

I have old QV plans from 2015, 2019, and 2021.  2015 QV does not have the Yen symbol, and in 2015 (pre-QV refit) these aft deck 7 suites were 7.142 and 7.159, and have a + symbol indicating 3rd berth is a single sofabed.  2019 and 2021 are like 2022, with the Yen symbol.  So perhaps during the QV refit when the aft cabins were added, Cunard added the 4th berth and the Yen symbol to the deck 7 aft suites.

One possible explanation for why the current 2022 QE plans have the Yen symbol in the key list is that a Cunard deck plan PDF creator incorrectly cut and pasted the QV key list across to the QE plans, and forgot to delete the Yen symbol from the QE list.   Another possible explanation is that these aft deck 7 QE suites should have a Yen symbil instead of a plus. 

Edited by sfred
  • Like 1

Good detective work, @sfred.

After experimenting with dummy bookings for Q1 suites on both QE and QV, I've come to the conclusion those suites are marked correctly on the current deck plans. That is, on QE I can book a Q1 on either deck 6 or 7 (marked with the plus symbol) for at most three passengers. On QV, I can book a Q1 on deck 6 (marked with no symbol) for at most two passengers, but I can book a Q1 on deck 7 (marked with the yen symbol) for four passengers.

I concur that the presence of the yen symbol on the symbol key for the QE deck plans is probably an inadvertent carry over from the symbol key on the QV deck plans.

Sorry for the distraction, @mumoftwo. Of course the real issue remains how Cunard intends to "downgrade" your booking for four passengers if you can't have your original GC cabin.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mumoftwo said:

TA sorted it.......we are moving to the cabin next door which is the same grade!  Bonkers.

Thanks for getting back to us with the resolution. Does not make too much sense to me either for you to be moved just one cabin away to another GC, but mine is not to reason why I suppose. At least it's not actually a downgrade for you.

Just out of curiosity, did they move you one cabin forward or one cabin aft? I'm guessing aft.

3 hours ago, bluemarble said:

Thanks for getting back to us with the resolution. Does not make too much sense to me either for you to be moved just one cabin away to another GC, but mine is not to reason why I suppose. At least it's not actually a downgrade for you.

Just out of curiosity, did they move you one cabin forward or one cabin aft? I'm guessing aft.

Yep back one - I think they are closing down all GC cabins - this places us in a GC cabin next to the next grade up.  I think everyone in a GC probably got this email - just a human probably had not sense checked that 4 people in a GC could not be downgraded - hence why we have been put back there!  Given us all a bit of a worry for 24hrs - hope we still get the compensation!

• Like 2

we're booked in the lowest of the low grade for our trip in July (on a saver fare so no cabin allocated yet) - if they try to downgrade us we'll be in crew quarters! 

Glad you got sorted, it does sound very bizarre.  

9 hours ago, elmsliebev said:

we're booked in the lowest of the low grade for our trip in July (on a saver fare so no cabin allocated yet) - if they try to downgrade us we'll be in crew quarters! 

Glad you got sorted, it does sound very bizarre.  

some crews quarters would be quite an upgrade I assure you......Ive seen some of them!

• Like 2