Crown to Discovery.

ImperialLady

We changed from the Crown sailing on 8/27/22 to the Discovery sailing on 8/28/22. We didn't want the continuing stress of "What Will Princess Do?"  We were able to get in the same area, side by side cabins and near the elevators. The rooms looks very nice but the balconies are very small. I haven't found a lot of reviews of the Discovery, or perhaps I just don't know where to look. If anyone has sailed on her please share the good and the not so good in your opinion. Thanks in advance.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, ImperialLady said:

We changed from the Crown sailing on 8/27/22 to the Discovery sailing on 8/28/22. We didn't want the continuing stress of "What Will Princess Do?"  We were able to get in the same area, side by side cabins and near the elevators. The rooms looks very nice but the balconies are very small. I haven't found a lot of reviews of the Discovery, or perhaps I just don't know where to look. If anyone has sailed on her please share the good and the not so good in your opinion. Thanks in advance.

We haven't sailed on the Discovery yet (will be in August) but we did have one of the standard sized balconies on the Majestic. For just the two of us, we thought the size was fine. Small, yes, but not nearly as bad as what we expected. 

• Like 1

We’ve enjoyed sailing on 5 of the 6 Royal-class ships & after sailing on Discovery’s inaugural 2 weeks in March/April it’s now our favorite one…slightly nicer than Sky. The 20% smaller 9’x4’ balconies didn’t adversely affect our enjoyment. Crew were wonderful & cheerful working hard to provide great service. Like all ships DMW didn’t work well but that’s a fleetwide & not a Discovery specific issue.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, ImperialLady said:

At the top of the threads page on the left, under the Find your roll call, in smaller print is See posts about.  Click on the ship list and you get a drop down menu with the list of ships.  EM

We were on Discovery to Alaska in May. The ship is beautiful, the staff and crew are wonderful, and service was excellent nearly everywhere on board. The only negative was that the wifi was really, really bad, but I'm hearing that's the case on a lot of ships, especially in Alaska. Also, many of us were having trouble with the Medallion App but, again, that was a technical issue that had nothing to do with the specific ship. Unfortunately, the majority of balconies on Royal Class ships are tiny, but this has never dampened our enjoyment of a cruise. I'm posting a link to a semi-live from thread I did while we were on board and after that might answer some questions. Hope you have a great trip.

Live From Discovery May 22-29

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Sea Hag said:

We haven't sailed on the Discovery yet (will be in August) but we did have one of the standard sized balconies on the Majestic. For just the two of us, we thought the size was fine. Small, yes, but not nearly as bad as what we expected. 

Thanks.... it's just the 2 of us as well....Do you know if the door can be opened to the cabin next to you? Our son and DIL are in the next cabin. 

2 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

At the top of the threads page on the left, under the Find your roll call, in smaller print is See posts about.  Click on the ship list and you get a drop down menu with the list of ships.  EM

Thanks you so much!!  I sure didn't know where to look.☺️ I did look for a roll call, found someone started one but with the date of the 27th instead of the 28th. Again thank you

1 hour ago, 5:00_Somewhere said:

We were on Discovery to Alaska in May. The ship is beautiful, the staff and crew are wonderful, and service was excellent nearly everywhere on board. The only negative was that the wifi was really, really bad, but I'm hearing that's the case on a lot of ships, especially in Alaska. Also, many of us were having trouble with the Medallion App but, again, that was a technical issue that had nothing to do with the specific ship. Unfortunately, the majority of balconies on Royal Class ships are tiny, but this has never dampened our enjoyment of a cruise. I'm posting a link to a semi-live from thread I did while we were on board and after that might answer some questions. Hope you have a great trip.

Live From Discovery May 22-29

Thank you. ...I am off to read your thread.  When we sailed to Alaska 5 years ago we were on the Ruby and our balcony was HUGE so I was a bit taken back at how small they are on the Discovery. But it will work!!

28 minutes ago, ImperialLady said:

Thanks.... it's just the 2 of us as well....Do you know if the door can be opened to the cabin next to you? Our son and DIL are in the next cabin. 

I'm the wrong person to ask on this. We never travel with others. But I think most, if not all, balcony doors can be opened. I'm sure somebody else will have a better handle on this.

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, ImperialLady said:

Thank you. ...I am off to read your thread.  When we sailed to Alaska 5 years ago we were on the Ruby and our balcony was HUGE so I was a bit taken back at how small they are on the Discovery. But it will work!!

Yes, one thing we love about the design of the older Grand Class ships is the huge balconies on Caribe Deck that are 1/2 covered and 1/2 open. And, actually, Princess did add some of these kinds of balcony cabins to the newest Royal Class ships (Majestic, Sky, Enchanted and Discovery Princess) on Dolphin Deck (9) forward and aft. They tend to go quickly and Princess was using Dolphin Deck for Covid isolation cabins on our last 2 cruises, but you could always ask.

I've attached a picture showing their locations.

42 minutes ago, ImperialLady said:

Yes, the vast majority of balcony dividers have a door in the balcony partition that can be opened between adjoining cabin balconies. Just ask your steward once on board.

One caveat, though: due to the design of most balconies (the "skinny" ones), and depending on which side your sliding balcony door opens on, the open balcony partition door may block the slider opening to one of the cabins. It's sort of a crap shoot, unfortunately, whether you'll end up with this situation or not, and it can be managed. Just a heads up.

image.jpeg

Edited by 5:00_Somewhere
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 5:00_Somewhere said:

Yes, one thing we love about the design of the older Grand Class ships is the huge balconies on Caribe Deck that are 1/2 covered and 1/2 open. And, actually, Princess did add some of these kinds of balcony cabins to the newest Royal Class ships (Majestic, Sky, Enchanted and Discovery Princess) on Dolphin Deck (9) forward and aft. They tend to go quickly and Princess was using Dolphin Deck for Covid isolation cabins on our last 2 cruises, but you could always ask.

I've attached a picture showing their locations.

Yes, the vast majority of balcony dividers have a door in the balcony partition that can be opened between adjoining cabin balconies. Just ask your steward once on board.

One caveat, though: due to the design of most balconies (the "skinny" ones), and depending on which side your sliding balcony door opens on, the open balcony partition door may block the slider opening to one of the cabins. It's sort of a crap shoot, unfortunately, whether you'll end up with this situation or not, and it can be managed. Just a heads up.

image.jpeg

Thank you for your very informative response.  I am keeping it in a file for future reference. I am so thankful that we were able to make the change from the Crown. And will certainly make the skinny balconies work for us!!                                                              

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ImperialLady said:

Check out the deck plan that @5:00_Somewhere posted (#13)...see the door symbol in the hallway? That's a fire door. As a general rule, if there's a fire door between 2 cabins (D230 - D302), the door between the balconies will not open. It's a fire safety thing.

• Like 2

Just now, JF - retired RRT said:

Check out the deck plan that @5:00_Somewhere posted (#13)...see the door symbol in the hallway? That's a fire door. As a general rule, if there's a fire door between 2 cabins (D230 - D302), the door between the balconies will not open. It's a fire safety thing.

Thanks for the heads ~!!  We are currently on the Baja deck, aft, starboard  between the laundromats and the lifts...and honstly so happy to be there...and not on the Crown

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ImperialLady said:

Thanks you so much!!  I sure didn't know where to look.☺️ I did look for a roll call, found someone started one but with the date of the 27th instead of the 28th. Again thank you

Here's a link to the roll call.....still not really as active as others, but you are welcome to join 😊

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Moondogy said:

Here's a link to the roll call.....still not really as active as others, but you are welcome to join 😊

thank you...will go check it out...wonder why I couldn't find this one 

Edited by ImperialLady