Stargazing excursion

craigtompkins

We are going on our first MSC cruise in a 2 weeks.  We have an overnight stay in Ocean Cay.  I noticed one of the excursions is beachside stargazing.  Has anyone done this before?  I'd really like some input.  We live near Atlanta and there is too much light pollution to see anything outside of some basic constellations.  This sounds like something I'd enjoy if they aren't over selling it "using state of the art computerized tracking telescopes, finds the most striking star clusters, planets, nebulas and galaxies on display that evening."

We’ve tried to do this excursion twice and it gets cancelled every time due to wind. They say it’s due to the type of telescopes they use, and the wind messes with the tracking system. We’ll try again, but don’t get your heart set on it because it doesn’t seem to happen much. 

If you are just wanting to see stars in general, I would think you could go on the island after dark, get away from the ship / lights, let your eyes get adjusted and be able to see many stars. That assumes they let you go to most parts of the island.  You could also bring binoculars for a closer view.

• 1 year later...
Posted (edited)

Has somebody taken the stargazing excursion? I have not found any review. As it's a bit pricy (~$90), I'm considering if it's worth the money for one hour.

Edited by magnetique