Packing?

Monica887

I'm going in 2 weeks! I'm a cruising pro, but haven't been to Alaska. I'm mostly a minimalist packer with a few things that make my life easier (waterproof bags, magnetic hooks, that kind of thing...). 

Anything in particular that I need for this trip that I wouldn't normally need to consider on a cruise, other than some warmer clothes for layers?

7 hours ago, Monica887 said:

I'm going in 2 weeks! I'm a cruising pro, but haven't been to Alaska. I'm mostly a minimalist packer with a few things that make my life easier (waterproof bags, magnetic hooks, that kind of thing...). 

Anything in particular that I need for this trip that I wouldn't normally need to consider on a cruise, other than some warmer clothes for layers?

I packed rain pants (bought on Amazon) and used them enough to warrant the purchase. I also bought a waterproof baseball hat that I wore on just about every excursion. Layers were perfect - long sleeve T-shirt with my rain jacket if warm and a hoodie also if colder. A backpack helps a lot to store layers as needed, if it warms up. But, we were quite active and did excursions at every port that involved hiking and whale watching. I also brought warm gloves & hat for glacier viewing on the ship. 

• Thanks 1

Another recommendation for a hat with a stiff brim...which is especially helpful in the rain, even if you have a hooded raincoat, and especially if you wear glasses. I would also recommend bringing a refillable water bottle if that's not normal for your cruising. 

At least one “warm weather” outfit.  We did Alaska May 25-June 8 and, aside from Ketchikan where it was 13, our temperatures were between 21-28.  We were NOT prepared!

Our entire week (June 11-18) was cold, rainy and extremely windy.  I was happy I had packed gloves and a stocking cap plus a rainproof jacket w/hood..  We did the 7 day cruise with just a 20" carry-on plus an over-size personal item each. The 20" in the overhead and the personal item under the seat of the aircraft.

We don't bother with formal wear anymore, just something to get by/blend in.   On our Alaska cruise few people bothered with glitz. 

Edited by GloriaF