cancelling a guest vs no-show?

juanarcin

Hi, I booked a few rooms for a family cruise. One room has both my parents on it, but now my dad can't go. I emailed my TA to change it to be just my mom but they emailed me saying the price would only drop by $50.00, which doesn't surprise me, but what did surprise me was that there is a $150.00 dollar fee to update the paperwork! so it will actually be an extra hundred dollars to remove him! So I'm wondering, what happens if he's just a no show? We would likely avoid those fee but will we still have to pay his gratuities, taxes and fees? 

3 minutes ago, juanarcin said:

Hi, I booked a few rooms for a family cruise. One room has both my parents on it, but now my dad can't go. I emailed my TA to change it to be just my mom but they emailed me saying the price would only drop by $50.00, which doesn't surprise me, but what did surprise me was that there is a $150.00 dollar fee to update the paperwork! so it will actually be an extra hundred dollars to remove him! So I'm wondering, what happens if he's just a no show? We would likely avoid those fee but will we still have to pay his gratuities, taxes and fees? 

You would paid the grats, taxes and fees upfront but they would be refunded.  

• Thanks 1

I'm assuming Holland America has similar policies to Carnival since they're a sister company.  My daughter recently removed her cousin from her booking and the net cost to her was over $400.

Definitely just handle this as a  "no show", and get a little bit of money back.  You'll have to pay the full fare before the final payment date and put all of your dad's information in for online check-in as though he's going.  After he doesn't show you'll get back his portion of taxes, port fees, etc.

Edited by groundloop
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, ashkir said:

Definately go no-show or contact your PVP to get a name change if you can convince another to come. 

But it sounds like OP used a travel agent that is charging some type of fee for making changes.