Booked Airfare through HAL.... do they have a customer service number for cancelled flights?

Denverbri69

We got a great deal on airfare to Amsterdam with HAL... but with recent 'pandemic' flight cancellations going on... if our flight is cancelled, who at HAL do we contact if we need assistance? Also, does the HAL premium travel insurance cover cancelled flight costs?

With HAL we've had flight changes - and were automatically notified. We have had flight cancellation with Princess (and their version of fly) and again, was notified by them.

You shouldn't need insurance to cover the cost of a cancelled flight. It should just be automatic refund on the flight.

• Like 1

I was kind of wondering the same thing.  To be more specific, my question is - if I booked my flight through Holland America and it is cancelled, will Holland America be responsible for rebooking another suitable flight, and will I have to pay more if the new flight costs more? 

What I like about the "cancel for any reason" policy is if you book your flights through HAL, the insurance automatically covers your flights too (at no extra cost, just the cost of the cruise).  But obviously I'm not 100% sure of what my benefit would be.

I hope I made sense here.

On 6/24/2022 at 3:54 PM, Lindancer said:

I was kind of wondering the same thing.  To be more specific, my question is - if I booked my flight through Holland America and it is cancelled, will Holland America be responsible for rebooking another suitable flight, and will I have to pay more if the new flight costs more? 

What I like about the "cancel for any reason" policy is if you book your flights through HAL, the insurance automatically covers your flights too (at no extra cost, just the cost of the cruise).  But obviously I'm not 100% sure of what my benefit would be.

I hope I made sense here.

No - Holland will not book you another flight if your flight is cancelled. They will let you know and you can then go look for new flight options. Yes - if the flight costs more you are on the hook (they have no control over airline changes)

EDIT: I was referring to the case where your cruise is still out in time like in 2 months (not the  "I am flying today and my flight is now cancelled", which may be what you mean. If so, yes, they get you on another flight (late arrival protection)

Edited by rodndonna
more info
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, rodndonna said:

No - Holland will not book you another flight if your flight is cancelled. They will let you know and you can then go look for new flight options. Yes - if the flight costs more you are on the hook (they have no control over airline changes)

EDIT: I was referring to the case where your cruise is still out in time like in 2 months (not the  "I am flying today and my flight is now cancelled", which may be what you mean. If so, yes, they get you on another flight (late arrival protection)

Thanks - I understand.

I am tell you how it recently worked with Seabourn Air which are the same folks that handle HAL and Princess.  We booked United from Prague to Munich to Dulles to Harrisburg.  About 2 months prior to our trip United notified us that they were cancelling the Harrisburg flight and had rebooked us from Dulles to Newark to Harrisburg.  Never heard a word from Seabourn.  6 hours before our flight from Munich (in the middle of the night) United texted me that they had cancelled the Dulles to Newark flight and rebooked us on a Lufthansa Munich to Newark flight connecting ti the Harrisburg flight.  Not a word from Seabourn air.  While we were waiting atMunich for the Lufthansa flight United texted me that they cancelled the Newark ti Harrisburg flight and had rebooked us in the same flight the following day.  Again, not. Word from the cruise air department and they had a 2 hour hold when I called.  At that point we booked a Hertz car from Newark to Dulles 😋.  Otherwise we would have been stuck at Newark for 26 hours at our own expense.  United blamed all the cancelations on weather (which was quite fine).

My point is that once you have your flights ticketed make sure to register all your info directly with the airline.  Depending on cruise air for help will likely get you the advice to deal with the airline.

Hank

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

I am tell you how it recently worked with Seabourn Air which are the same folks that handle HAL and Princess.  We booked United from Prague to Munich to Dulles to Harrisburg.  About 2 months prior to our trip United notified us that they were cancelling the Harrisburg flight and had rebooked us from Dulles to Newark to Harrisburg.  Never heard a word from Seabourn.  6 hours before our flight from Munich (in the middle of the night) United texted me that they had cancelled the Dulles to Newark flight and rebooked us on a Lufthansa Munich to Newark flight connecting ti the Harrisburg flight.  Not a word from Seabourn air.  While we were waiting atMunich for the Lufthansa flight United texted me that they cancelled the Newark ti Harrisburg flight and had rebooked us in the same flight the following day.  Again, not. Word from the cruise air department and they had a 2 hour hold when I called.  At that point we booked a Hertz car from Newark to Dulles 😋.  Otherwise we would have been stuck at Newark for 26 hours at our own expense.  United blamed all the cancelations on weather (which was quite fine).

My point is that once you have your flights ticketed make sure to register all your info directly with the airline.  Depending on cruise air for help will likely get you the advice to deal with the airline.

Hank

Hank, I totally agree and if you are canceled do not even bother contacting HAL because one they will not help and two it would take hours to get through only to have no help, Just figure you are on your own once ticketed. My upcoming flights to and from are on United, British Airways and American, I have all three apps on my phone, all three show my flight, reservation numbers and information and I am set if any of these have a change for them to email and text me.

• Like 2

Just now, LAFFNVEGAS said:

Hank, I totally agree and if you are canceled do not even bother contacting HAL because one they will not help and two it would take hours to get through only to have no help, Just figure you are on your own once ticketed. My upcoming flights to and from are on United, British Airways and American, I have all three apps on my phone, all three show my flight, reservation numbers and information and I am set if any of these have a change for them to email and text me.

You raise a good point.  Folks with cruise air should install the apps for each of their booked airlines and make sure to set up an account and have your reservation noted on the app.  This makes it easy for each airline to directly contact and update passengers when there are changes, cancellations, etc.  Some of the airline apps also allow you to track your luggage (in real time) which can be very helpful when there are issues and reassuring when you see that your luggage has been loaded aboard your flight.

Hank

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

You raise a good point.  Folks with cruise air should install the apps for each of their booked airlines and make sure to set up an account and have your reservation noted on the app.  This makes it easy for each airline to directly contact and update passengers when there are changes, cancellations, etc.  Some of the airline apps also allow you to track your luggage (in real time) which can be very helpful when there are issues and reassuring when you see that your luggage has been loaded aboard your flight.

Hank

I also check every morning on these apps to make sure all appears to be fine. We leave in 11 days and anything can happen and change.  Also for luggage, getting Apple Air tags help as well 🙂

• Like 3