No notification that excursion was cancelled

Louise257

I just checked my credit card statement online and noticed a there was a credit from Viking a few days ago. I checked MVJ and noticed they had cancelled our trip to the Blue Lagoon in Iceland. No email or notification telling us they have cancelled. This is extremely annoying as we were originally going to arrange a trip there ourselves  - but now there is very little availability left. Is this the way Viking normally operates? 

1 hour ago, Louise257 said:

I just checked my credit card statement online and noticed a there was a credit from Viking a few days ago. I checked MVJ and noticed they had cancelled our trip to the Blue Lagoon in Iceland. No email or notification telling us they have cancelled. This is extremely annoying as we were originally going to arrange a trip there ourselves  - but now there is very little availability left. Is this the way Viking normally operates? 

So sorry to hear.  Viking would likely cancel only if they couldn’t find tour operators.  We’ve had excursions cancelled and then try to find our own but there aren’t any.  Wishing you luck!

viking seems to be very bad at notifications of financial transactions.  Last few cruises I noticed some unusual credits.  No notification.  Turns out Viking is now “refunding” money by auto applying a travel agents OBC to paid for excursions.  Bizarre.  They claim their system now does that.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Louise257 said:

Interesting. We are on a cruise leaving Saturday and a few days ago I received an email from Viking saying an excursion I had booked had been cancelled. No explanation why, but information on how the cost of the excursion would be refunded.

I’m sure I didn’t miss an email and I regularly check my junk mail. Unless it went to my travel agent and she didn’t forward it?

It’s all worked out well though. A slot came up for the Blue Lagoon the day before our cruise. That gives us more time to explore the ship on our first day and saves us over £50!

Liz, Thanks, I did consider the Sky Lagoon - it looks great!

I will now be checking MVJ daily!

• Like 1

We were on the Adriatic cruise in March; midway we spent 2 or 3 nights in Venice. We had booked an excursion to see St. Mark's Basilica and the Doge's Palace. 

Because Venice was the debarkation/embarkation point for many others, we received a second set of excursion vouchers the night before we arrived there. I leafed through them, only to find no coupons for the excursion to St. Mark's. When I checked on it with guest services, I was told that the excursion had been cancelled because tours weren't allowed on Sundays at St. Mark's.

It seemed odd to me that Viking would have booked excursions on a Sunday into the basilica if tours weren't allowed on that day--that rule certainly didn't come about recently. At any rate, we were told that we could take one of the other available excursions. The problem, however, was that we had already done one of the available excursions that morning, weren't interested in a second, and had been looking forward to seeing St. Mark's and the Doge's Palace.

I expressed my disappointment politely and was told that Viking would see what they could do.

They came through with flying colors; there were 12 of us in the same situation, so they booked private water taxis for us, took us from the cruise terminal to St. Mark's, where we were treated to a private tour of the Doge's Palace. Afterwards, we were taken back to the cruise terminal, again in water taxis. 

I gave Viking high marks for resolving what would have been a major disappointment; once again, they handled a difficult situation with class, and it cemented our admiration and loyalty for a great cruise line.

• Like 2