Bus to Mambo Beach?

OT-Miami

We will be visiting the ABC's in October and would like to take the bus to Mambo Beach.  I've found lots of info on buses to the beach in Aruba, but I'm not having much luck with Curacao.  I understand that it is a bit of a walk from the port to the bus station.  Walking is not a problem for us, just wondering how reliable and safe it is.  Has anyone done this post-pandemic?  Are the buses easy to find for the return to port?  Any recent experience is greatly appreciated - TIA 😃

We used the bus in January 2022, and have also used it pre-covid.  If you do a search on google maps, you can see where the bus station is located.  There are regular buses, that run on a set schedule, and vans that wait for a several people to fill the van.  We just asked one of the van drivers if they were going to our location, and we got in.  It did not take more than 5 minutes to get enough people.  We would have had to wait an hour for our bus, if we had not used the van.   We were going to a dive shop near Sunscape resort, but the van was going to Mambo.

Link to the beaches

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Mambo+Beach/@12.0870086,-68.9081893,15z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x8e837d8eb1d79399:0xcd542e9d7c820f56!8m2!3d12.086988!4d-68.8994345

link to bus stop.  on the map is says bus station punde.  

https://www.google.com/maps/search/bus+terminus+near+Curacao,+Curaçao/@12.1062899,-68.9384393,16z

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

13 hours ago, topspot said:

We used the bus in January 2022, and have also used it pre-covid.  If you do a search on google maps, you can see where the bus station is located.  There are regular buses, that run on a set schedule, and vans that wait for a several people to fill the van.  We just asked one of the van drivers if they were going to our location, and we got in.  It did not take more than 5 minutes to get enough people.  We would have had to wait an hour for our bus, if we had not used the van.   We were going to a dive shop near Sunscape resort, but the van was going to Mambo.

Link to the beaches

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Mambo+Beach/@12.0870086,-68.9081893,15z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x8e837d8eb1d79399:0xcd542e9d7c820f56!8m2!3d12.086988!4d-68.8994345

https://www.google.com/maps/search/bus+terminus+near+Curacao,+Curaçao/@12.1062899,-68.9384393,16z

Thank you @topspot, this is super helpful!  I found @Fishbone's excellent 2019 post  very informative as well, but I was really looking for some post-pandemic experiences.  Thank you both!

• 2 months later...
On 6/23/2022 at 5:27 PM, topspot said:

Link to the beaches

We did take a co-operative to Mambo beach, though many years ago. It was fun, and we rode with locals. They were dropped off at their houses on the way. Very island time.

The last two times we were in Curacao (March this year, and October last year). We had short port times and took the taxi at the pier. They were filling up vans to Mambo, very full and quick. The cost of the taxi is $25.00 US p/p. It's posted.

We were going to Blue Bay resort in March, and Pirate's Bay Beach Club in October. It was also $25.00 US p/p each. 

Coming back is $20.00 US p/p each because you don't pay the $5.00 in port charge. So, taking public transportation is a great option. We always feel safe in the ABC islands. Been going since 2003.

• Thanks 1

On 8/30/2022 at 1:58 PM, CaliforniaAC said:

We were going to Blue Bay resort in March, and Pirate's Bay Beach Club in October. It was also $25.00 US p/p each. 

Coming back is $20.00 US p/p each because you don't pay the $5.00 in port charge. So, taking public transportation is a great option.

Soooo... $90 US return cab fare per couple  for a beach day is a great option ? Or because it is $90 , the bus would be a great option?

Not sure which way to read this 

On 6/23/2022 at 9:27 PM, topspot said:

We used the bus in January 2022, and have also used it pre-covid.  If you do a search on google maps, you can see where the bus station is located.  There are regular buses, that run on a set schedule, and vans that wait for a several people to fill the van.  We just asked one of the van drivers if they were going to our location, and we got in.  It did not take more than 5 minutes to get enough people.  We would have had to wait an hour for our bus, if we had not used the van.   We were going to a dive shop near Sunscape resort, but the van was going to Mambo

On 6/23/2022 at 12:56 PM, OT-Miami said:

How much was the cost for the shared vans ? 

And were they easy to find for return to ship ?

5 minutes ago, LobsterStalker said:

How much was the cost for the shared vans ? 

And were they easy to find for return to ship ?

'I can't remember the exact price of the van, it was less than 5.00 per person each way.  I want to say 2.40 each way, per person, and yes the vans were easy to get on the return trip.  This was January 2022, so post covid

Edited by topspot

50 minutes ago, topspot said:

I can't remember the exact price of the van, it was less than 5.00 per person each way.  I want to say 2.40 each way, per person, and yes the vans were easy to get on the return trip.  This was January 2022, so post covid

Thx Top

20$ max seems a little more reasonable than $90

The trade off is the walk to the bus terminal.  It is a 20-30 minute walk, but it is through the shopping area.   In the morning we go directly to the terminal, on the way back to ship, we walk more leisurely and get our shopping in.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, topspot said:

The trade off is the walk to the bus terminal.  It is a 20-30 minute walk, but it is through the shopping area.   In the morning we go directly to the terminal, on the way back to ship, we walk more leisurely and get our shopping in.

it has beeen 4 1/2 years since i was last there and I haven't kept  good records of my travels , (wish I had ) , but it seems to me we were docked inside the harbor. Does that sound right ? Where would you expect we would be docking on the Explorer ?

That is the part that is confusing me , is that I know I didn't pay a lot to get to Mambo but at the same time I also do not remember  20 minute walk.

Possibly I caught a taxi at the terminal and found someone to share with to make about 5$ a piece ?

On 9/5/2022 at 7:18 AM, LobsterStalker said:

Soooo... $90 US return cab fare per couple  for a beach day is a great option ? Or because it is $90 , the bus would be a great option?

Not sure which way to read this 

I asked my husband if I got it wrong, and he said I did.🙁 That being said, $45.00 per couple is round trip.

We enjoyed taking the co-operative, however, they don't come into the port. You would need to walk out of the port. It should be a good option. We will be in Curacao in November, and plan to use either a cooperative or the bus. 

My apologies for that confusion.

The larger ships are not inside the harbor but at the Mega Cruise Terminal--you can see it on Google Maps.  It is not as close to town but still an easy walk through the Rif Fort.  It is a 1.5 km walk to the Punda Bus station but scenic and flat.

Soooooooo as a wrap up ...

Does anyone else as cheap as me have experience walking to the bus station from the dock instead of taking the cabs from the pier ? From what I can gather it is only a 15-20 minute walk and goes through some shopping district . The kicker though for us cheapies is from what I have gathered 25$ for a cab from pier and as little as 2.40$ pp for the vans at the station. I kick myself for not keeping records of my travels because 4 years ago is a long time for me to remember anything ...

Thx for the help

Cheers

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, LobsterStalker said:

Soooooooo as a wrap up ...

Does anyone else as cheap as me have experience walking to the bus station from the dock instead of taking the cabs from the pier ? From what I can gather it is only a 15-20 minute walk and goes through some shopping district . The kicker though for us cheapies is from what I have gathered 25$ for a cab from pier and as little as 2.40$ pp for the vans at the station. I kick myself for not keeping records of my travels because 4 years ago is a long time for me to remember anything ...

Thx for the help

Cheers

It's an easy walk and anyone in Punda can point you in the direction of the bus station. 

Yes, it's much less expensive than a taxi.

On 9/18/2022 at 10:58 AM, LobsterStalker said:

Are the return vans easy to pick up and are they able to take you right back to the ship or are they limited to the station ?

They are available (as are taxis ) typically. 

The bus will take you back to the station on the Punda side.

• 2 weeks later...

as an aside, the day we were in Curacao there was a tropical depression that just passed (IAN pre hurricane), the seas were rough so both the ferry and the bridge were inoperable, in order to get to the bus you had to take a cab across the bridge. We walked back to the ship and got into a cab. Took a shared cab back. Mambo was great that day as it was protected from the waves.

7 minutes ago, sunsetme said:

as an aside, the day we were in Curacao there was a tropical depression that just passed (IAN pre hurricane), the seas were rough so both the ferry and the bridge were inoperable, in order to get to the bus you had to take a cab across the bridge. We walked back to the ship and got into a cab. Took a shared cab back. Mambo was great that day as it was protected from the waves.

@sunsetme That's good to know, especially since we're travelling during hurricane season and storms are likely to pop up at any time (like the one currently brewing in the Southern Caribbean).  By any chance do you recall the cost for the cab each way?

On 10/4/2022 at 3:31 PM, sunsetme said:

Actually,  there were busses (complimentary) available at the ferry station to take people to and from Punda/Otrobanda during this time. 

10 minutes ago, bup1224 said:

Actually,  there were busses (complimentary) available at the ferry station to take people to and from Punda/Otrobanda during this time. 

yes and most of the passengers were locals going to work not appreciating the tourists trying to get on

12 hours ago, sunsetme said:

yes and most of the passengers were locals going to work not appreciating the tourists trying to get on

You literally had said that you had to take a cab to get across,  which was incorrect. 

OK, I'm as cheap as the above poster.  We have taken the bus in Curacao a couple of times but before the pandemic.  Back then, we paid the fare in USD which was $1 each.  Looks like the fare is 2 local currency so more than $1 now.  They've gone to a card system but it looks like cash is still OK.  The route that goes to Mambo looks like 6A.  It's a pretty easy walk to the bus station.  There are also vans that are unofficial buses.  Those are probably $2 one way and you would have to ask where they go.  The official buses on 6A run every 1 hour 15 minutes.