veranda or not? Encore question

I'll be taking my first Seabourn cruise in November on the Encore; my first cruise since I cruised the South Pacific in January/February 2020.  I'm a solo traveller, and a Crystal refugee -- I didn't sail in a veranda cabin on Crystal once I discovered the abundance of quiet public outdoor spaces that were available to all passengers. 

So, my question is whether the Encore has reasonably available outdoor spaces with reasonable quiet and comfort?  If not, I might want a veranda to relax and read in outdoor comfort, but if so, that would be a waste of money I'm sure I could spend instead on laundry (since the Encore is exceedingly limited with self-serve laundry, and it's quite a ways away). 

Calllio,  the good news is that all suites on Seabourn Encore are veranda. There are no “window” suites.  So you will have a balcony.  Also all Seabourn ships have great public space for you to relax and enjoy as you wish. It will be different than the larger Crystal ships but should still offer you the space you need to have a lovely cruise. 

Edited by Sunprince
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, calliopecruiser said:

I could spend instead on laundry (since the Encore is exceedingly limited with self-serve laundry, and it's quite a ways away). 

The really good news about laundry is that you can get a whole bag of laundry done for $50.00.  One bag holds a LOT of laundry items.  One bag has always held ALL of the laundry my husband and I have together, so it should be more than enough room for you.  The ship does a very nice job and everything comes back ironed/folded/hung on hangers as needed.  We think this is a bargain--and once you have enough days on SB, you can get a bag of laundry free.  I do understand that there are some items which do not lend themselves to being laundered by the staff.  I have a few items, for example, that I like to hang to dry.  But--I limit those items when we sail because who wants to spend a lot of time doing laundry when on vacation?

7 minutes ago, SLSD said:

a whole bag of laundry done for $50.00.  One bag holds a LOT of laundry items.

My pattern is not to travel with enough clothes for 3 weeks without laundry, so waiting until I accumulate enough to fill a laundry bag isn't a very attractive option.   I guess they figure that their clientele are not the "self-serve laundry" types, or they figure that their clientele don't mind spending an extra $50-100 on laundry.  The lack of included laundry options (other than my bathroom sink) is a real puzzler on a line like Seabourn. 

51 minutes ago, calliopecruiser said:

My pattern is not to travel with enough clothes for 3 weeks without laundry, so waiting until I accumulate enough to fill a laundry bag isn't a very attractive option.   I guess they figure that their clientele are not the "self-serve laundry" types, or they figure that their clientele don't mind spending an extra $50-100 on laundry.  The lack of included laundry options (other than my bathroom sink) is a real puzzler on a line like Seabourn. 

There are self serve washers and dryers with detergent provided.  I've used them.  My point is that spending $50 for laundry (which is then ironed and folded)  is not such a big deal compared to thecost of a cruise.  For us, it has been money well spent while we are off enjoying ourselves.  There are other laundry options.  You can send in your laundry whenever you want and you can be charged by the piece.  But, I think you will find that the $50 option is the better one, price wise.  Of course you do not have to totally fill the bag.  Perhaps after a week, you will have enough to make it worthwhile.  The really good news is that you have three options PLUS your bathroom sink!

Edited by SLSD
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, SLSD said:

There are self serve washers and dryers with detergent provided.  I've used them.

We use the self-serve facilities on Seabourn at least once per cruise, and also have made use of the laundry services; very happy with both.  The social nature of Seabourn sailors definitely extends into the laundry room - have had some great conversations there.  Last year we had an issue with our bags not making the cruise, and Seabourn comp’d us same-day laundry service until the bags got to us…could not be more happy with the turnaround time and service!  

Back to the main topic - quiet outdoor space (from what we’ve seen) changes from cruise to cruise.  Sometimes the pool area at the back of the ship is empty, sometimes it gets more filled.  Depends on the mix of passengers and where they end up finding “their place”.  But we’ve always found good areas both inside and outside to relax without a lot of noise/distraction.

Edited by johng75370

We were on the Encore in May and were often the only ones using the aft pool area.  Another place that was quiet during the early afternoon was the Observation Bar/Club Bar areas…they weren’t staffed until around 4.  Seabourn Square was fairly quiet as well, but we were on a port intensive cruise so folks were out & about.

As to the laundry, we used the $50 bag option and had our nicer clothes laundered & did a couple of loads in the launderette.  We started our laundry on the way to dinner, put it in the dryer after dinner on the way to the show and collected it after the show.  It worked out perfectly!  

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, SLSD said:

The really good news is that you have three options PLUS your bathroom sink!

LOL!  I like options.  It really isn't a big deal on a big cruise (as you said), but it's just a surprise (to me) that there's only one location on the ship.  It won't make or break my cruising decision.