Trip Report w/Pics HAL Alaska June 19-26, 2022 Seattle Roundtrip Westerdam

CupKayke

Could not agree with you more Loreto.  We did tip our porter/direction guy very well.  He saved us from missing our flight, for sure... but we had no way of knowing that at the time... we just knew he got us out of the madhouse. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, CupKayke said:

The above info on Port Valet is interesting but it still would not speed-up TSA.  If it was offered, I didn't see it but would consider it in the future.   Our big change to make life easier while standing in line for 2 hours is no more backpacks.  I already gave one away and sold the other.  We will be using tiny rolling carry-ons from now on - our backs can't take the backpacks anymore.  

For passengers who had late flights they could go through TSA and wait around airside where there are many more shops and dining opportunities.  There really didn't seem to be many spaces to sit if you had to wait hours before you can check in.  The rule is you can't check in at the airport more than 4 hours before you departure time.  We had first class tickets thanks to all the vouchers we got from last year's cancelled flights.  There was a long line for first class check in and I was hoping the 4 hour rule would have elapsed.  By the time we got to the counter the agent said we were 25 minutes to early and she wouldn't check us in.  We did find a place to sit and waited, then got in line again.  This time we were checked in and able to use the premium TSA line which was much shorter.

Like you we discussed just using carryon's in the future!

Thank you for a very well prepared and posted review.  We sail on Westerdam in October from Seattle.  Looking forward to it!  I do hope the have bananas back by then!

• Like 1

On 7/2/2022 at 8:41 PM, CupKayke said:

we had an AMAZING cruise... we LOVED Alaska... we will sail to Alaska again...

Thanks so much for your review. We're having cruise withdrawl and we've been to Alaska 5 (?) times and I'd go again in a heartbeat.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, grsnovi said:

Thanks so much for your review. We're having cruise withdrawl and we've been to Alaska 5 (?) times and I'd go again in a heartbeat.

You are welcome.   We are booking another cruise today.  😚

CupKayke, thank you for such a detailed review and great pics.  We were on this same cruise.  I had a lot of the same reactions and thoughts as you.

SLOTheta, like you, we filled out the Luggage Direct info on the HAL site, got confirmations and so on and planned on using Port Valet (which is the same thing as Luggage Direct).  No one on the ship told us it was not being offered.  Late in the cruise, I called the Neptune Lounge concierge to ask if I needed to do anything else about it and he let me know it was not an option on this cruise.  Just glad I found out before disembarkation; we got off 15 minutes earlier than planned to allow us to pick up and deal with our bags and those of my 89-year old walker-using parents.  HAL really should disable that Luggage Direct function for the Seattle cruises if Port Valet is not being used.

And wow, was SeaTac ever a horror show on June 26.  I have NEVER seen it anywhere near this crazy.  We had noon flights so had hired a limo to pick up up by 8:30 a.m., thinking that would be ample time.  Luckily, we breezed through disembarkation and were out earlier than that, and the driver was able to pick up up before 8:30 a.m.  We ended up needing that extra time.  When we walked into SeaTac, I literally gasped out loud at the crazy sight before me.  People everywhere, no real rhyme or reason as to the crowds or real lines, just a massive mess (this was in the Alaska Air terminal).  Hordes and hordes of confused people (us included).  My husband and I got in the enormous First Class check in line (which wrapped all the way back to the security lines) to try that for mode of bag drop off, and my sister took her bags and those of my parents to the kiosks and bag drop off complete mess.  I assumed we would be through before her so we could start taking my parents through security, but no.  My sister got rid of their bags first and because the three of them did not have TSA PreCheck, she managed to get my elderly parents and their walkers and all their stuff through the regular security lines while my husband and I were still stuck in the First Class check in line (albeit getting closer to the front).  And even though we had TSA PreCheck and CLEAR, we had to schlep quite a ways away to use both (neither of the nearest security lines had both, and the TSA PreCheck lines were not that short) and my sister and walker-using parents still beat us to the gate.  We ended up making our flights easily (my sister made her 11:40 a.m. flight as well) but I was a bit panicked for a while, while we waited endlessly to dump our bags.

So the moral for Alaska cruisers flying out of SeaTac, be ready for a bit of an ordeal and allow a lot of time.  And if you can grab a bag cart (I miraculously nabbed a free ranging one left by someone), think about using it.  That made our endless wait in line to drop our bags a lot easier; something to lean on and plonk our backpacks on.  I hope this June 26 was an aberration but maybe not (we flew almost exactly a year earlier out of SeaTac and while not as bad as this year, it was PLENTY crowded and busy).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

This was a great trip review. I do have questions on the airport situation. We will be on a cruise in August. We were just going to have our carry on bag and get off when the ship docks. Then grab a taxi to the airport. Our plane departs at 10:30. It’s tight I know but the next one wasn’t until 5. We have done this on the last three cruises and had plenty of time. So was the self de embarked slow as well? Was the TSA lines at the airport also jam packed?

A little nervous about this one.

• Like 1

Self-deembarkation was very fast.  We just walked up and were off the ship instantly.  The TSA lines, however, were fairly long, although they moved.  If you can get CLEAR before you go, do it. I do think a 10:30 flight is risky, but if you go straight to security, maybe it will work.

• Like 1

Thanks, CupKayke!  Great photos and journal.  Hubby and I are seriously thinking about the Westerdam Alaska cruise leaving on Sept 4th.  We can get a good deal.  BUT, finding a good flight back home to South Central BC means we have to spend another overnight in Seattle and fly back on Monday.  Maybe that's a good idea anyhow - seeing the issues in SEATAC on the 'day of debarcation.'   I have to hurry and decide before the sale is gone.  We've been through Alaska, Yukon, and North-West Territories on an 8 week driving, camping,  and canoeing adventure in the 90's (when we had the type of jobs we could take larger blocks of time off from.)  Haven't been to the coastline of Alaska though, except for canoeing in the bay in Skagway so I'd be looking forward to the Hubbard Glacier the most.

Last cruise we were on was early March 2020.... Oosterdam Mexico Pacific Coast.  Got back to San Diego on March 14 just in time for everything to be shut down by Covid.  SAN was absolutely EMPTY, it was eerie actually. No one on the ship got sick tho, the staff were constantly cleaning and sanitizing everything and all the passengers were asked to sanitize practically everytime we came to a doorway/entryway.  I liked the HAL 'walk for a cause.'  I'd do it again on the next cruise.

On 7/12/2022 at 4:18 AM, worldtraveller99 said:

I am interested that the ship cared about something called VERIFLY? Neither BA nor our cruise line has mentioned it. Hopefully we will be fine with paper ArriveCan receipts, test results and vaccination certificates? 

VERIFLY is an app.  Download it to your Smartphone.  Complete the information a minimum of 24 hours prior to your cruise date.   I think they recommend 72 hours.  You should do this but it is NOT required.  It may (or is supposed to but does not) get you onboard much faster.   There are several posts on this board about VERIFLY.   Best of Luck 

On 7/18/2022 at 4:35 PM, futureAG said:

@CupKayke Thank you so much for this fantastic review!!  Also would really like to know about your sweater you wore on embarkation day! I need one like that!!  

You are welcome and thank you!!   

Funny that you mentioned my sweater.  It's one of my favorites.  In 2011, I wore that sweater all day in Seattle.  I have several pictures of myself wearing it while we did a foodie tour around Seattle.  I specifically wore it again in Seattle for our embarkation photo - because it is still in fabulous condition and still fits! 🙂  It is a Liz Claiborne sweater.  I'm not sure where I purchased it.  Also, the pictures may be deceiving as the sweater is actually sleeveless... I was wearing a long-sleeve white cotton shirt underneath the sweater.  

• Like 1

Thank you so much for such a detailed and informative review. My husband and I are in the planning stage of our Alaska cruise. We’d like to go next June. But so many people say to do the one way and then the RR tour and Denali tour. But it didn’t seem like you felt you missed out on that. 

We are from the east coast, small town not near a major airport. The return flights total 20-24 hours. We’d just as soon fly to/from Seattle.  

Opinion??

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Cruiser1862 said:

Thank you so much for such a detailed and informative review. My husband and I are in the planning stage of our Alaska cruise. We’d like to go next June. But so many people say to do the one way and then the RR tour and Denali tour. But it didn’t seem like you felt you missed out on that. 

We are from the east coast, small town not near a major airport. The return flights total 20-24 hours. We’d just as soon fly to/from Seattle.  

Opinion??

You are welcome.  🙂

I have heard amazing things about Denali.  I also know this cruise was amazing.  I really am not one to know what to do when it comes this type of option since everyone thinks differently.    We had a great time on this cruise and I'm not really interested in doing a land tour but if we did.... we would fly to Anchorage (from Seattle), rent a car and go North to do Denali on our own for a couple of days... and then go south to Alyeksa, Alaska and stop in Girdwood and visit the famous Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center and visit Whittier.  To me, that's PLENTY of Alaska and then some... but then there are those that will say "you MUST visit Denali for NO LESS than 5 days."  Okay, sure. 🙊  I say do what is best for YOU.  🙂 Happy Travels

Edited by CupKayke

This is a great thread!. We'll be on 7/31.

Still debating whether my parents should go. I had booked a balcony Observation deck room for the 4 of us, not sure if I should book a smaller room for them on another deck Large Oceanview Stateroom (Fully obstructed views)

or  I Could book an interior Guarantee room.  Wondering if we could pay for an upgrade at check in or  try to be on the same deck. 

On 6/29/2022 at 6:33 PM, CupKayke said:

Good Evening.  Just wanted to say something about ARRIVECAN...  we met a girl at Bingo who told us they had a letter in their stateroom mail telling them if they didn't get ARRIVECAN completed, they would not be allowed off the ship in Juneau (our first port) or any other port.  I don't know if that is true or not but that's what she said.  Also, when we were allowed to board there was a large group of people sitting in chairs with stickers on their shirts and they were told to sit there and complete ARRIVECAN and then they could board.  We only know this because this one lady told us that and then boarded with us and said "I'll do it when I get in my room.  I'm not sitting out here anymore."   So... I would recommend you go ahead and get both ARRIVECAN and VERIFLY completed at least 24 hours before your cruise. 

What if you're not getting off in Canada?

On 6/28/2022 at 8:49 PM, CupKayke said:

Embarkation Day Continued...

We stepped on the boat and there was at least four or five staff members that IMMEDIATELY Warmly Welcomed us onboard and said "WE ARE SO HAPPY YOU ARE HERE!"  Throughout the cruise, at every single port, you would see this.   EVERY.  SINGLE.  PORT.   Holland America is glad you are cruising again and they want you to know it.   Frankly, I thought it was great.  It made you feel good and appreciated. 

I originally booked a verandah (unobstructed balcony) cabin.  On June 6, 2022, I received an email offering us the chance to upgrade.  I called the phone number and was immediately upgraded (for a fee) to a Signature Suite Room 6073.  I surprised my husband today with this information.  He was VERY happy because the bathroom was "huge" compared to normal cabins, in his opinion.  I am glad we were able to do this and I would probably do this again just for the bathroom space for my weird husband if the price was acceptable. 

curious what the price was? Fingers crossed we get this email too. 

Is it based on veteran cruisers?