Half through 7-day round trip Alaska Inside Passage Cruise aboard the Koningsdam

PACD_JG

A first time cruiser traveling with two teens.  Weather couldn’t be more perfect for cruising - clear skies in Juneau, Skagway, and Glacier Bay.  Vista Suite is understandably tight with 4 in one cabin, but for two it would be a superb room.  Since the weather is perfect and the seas are calm, hard to say if location is important, but being mid ship definitely has its perks.  All food has been fine - but nothing is really standing out.  3.5 out of 5 seems a fair rating so far.  Ship has quite a bit of pax.  Lots of Canadians on board.  Lots of Asians (maybe Canadian?).  Daughters say about 50-100 teenagers on board.  Props to the staff - super kind to all, and medals for patience for all the unknowing.  As stated, my first cruise, but there are a ton of folks onboard that act like they’ve never travelled out of county and/or have never travelled without folks to hold their hands.  Seriously, I feel the veteran.  Anywho, internet is great so if you have any questions, I’ll entertain.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

And I’m typing on my iPhone, so forgive me for the grammatical errors.  In Juneau, went whale watching with Gastineau Guiding (the small group photo safari) Mendenhall Glacier stroll advertised on HAL.  It was great, but only saw 3 humpbacks.  Expectations were way too high as I was expecting whale soup.  Went on 9 AM White Pass Rail - absolutely fantastic, but may have been because it was clear and not crowded.  Enjoyed some NPS stuff in Skagway, but walking up and down Broadway once (10 minute walk) was enough to make us board the ship early.

• Like 2

The Norwegian Sun was in Juneau when we pulled in.  A day later a co-worker texted me to see if I was okay - said he heard a ship hit an iceberg.  Didn’t know anything about it until I read the story.  Saw the landslide location at Skagway.  Poor Celebrity folks there had to tender for a 1/4 mile.

• Like 2

You should be thick in salmon.  I lived in AK before, so dabble a bit in fish…was hoping to catch the early run…but nothing in Juneau (locals say we were 2 weeks early).  I’ll be in Ketchikan tomorrow, so we’ll see.

• Like 2

Went to the store on ship to get some Benadryl.  They don’t sell any, so went to the medical clinic on ship.  Was only open for appointments so I don’t them what I needed ($1.53 per pill if anybody was curious).  Have no idea about Covid on board, but never heard any of the gossips discussing it either.  If you’re nervous about Covid….probably not the place for you.  Would say only 20% wear a mask in an elevator, much less the open areas.

• Like 2

Just a note about Icy Strait Point.  The Crown Princess is there - we see with her in Glacier Bay.  Doesn’t look like anything but a zip line, but looking at their itinerary they are only in port a couple of hours (in lieu of Ketchikan though from what I’ve read).  Anyway, since I understand they do whale watching trips from there, had my binoculars while we sailed passed.  Didn’t see a thing.

• Like 2

Saw two brown bears close to Grand Pacific Glacier, but even with 7x50 binoculars, didn’t see much.  Too many otters and harbor seals to count.  Surprisingly, the best location for bald eagles - Didn’t need a boat for that…in Juneau between Auke Bay and downtown.

89D0B1A1-6AD3-47C3-9881-D066C6052706.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

About to do second Gala night this evening.  The first one we had dinner in the MDR.  No free lobster since I see people asking about it.  They did have filet mignon, and I was able to order another entree of it while the wife and kids had dessert.  All food in the MDR so far, including breakfast, has been plated perfectly.  If you’re a light eater, the meals are very good there.  But to me, the portions are small.  Not a fan of buffets in general, because I hate lines.  Since the Lido is divided into stations, all stations have a bit of a waiting time to get some food.  Dive-in was okay - I do think the sandwiches at the New York Deli (I’ve had pastrami, corned beef, and Rueben) are delicious.  Pizza is just okay.  Have only had coffee drinks at Dutch Grand Cafe.  Tomorrow is the Pinnacle Grill.  Oh….grand Dutch Cafe….Lindemans on the menu - I love kreik…none on board….supply chain excuse given.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, friendswithdave said:

We had spectacular whale watching from Icy Straight Point a few years back. It was near the entrance to Glacier Bay. Definitely be on the whale watch when you are cruising around Glacier Bay.

Now that you mentioned it, we did see spouts before the rangers departed, but they were pretty far from the ship.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, PACD_JG said:

The Norwegian Sun was in Juneau when we pulled in.  A day later a co-worker texted me to see if I was okay - said he heard a ship hit an iceberg.  Didn’t know anything about it until I read the story.  Saw the landslide location at Skagway.  Poor Celebrity folks there had to tender for a 1/4 mile.

Sorry, but I am unclear on this post.  The Norwegian Sun hit an iceberg and Celebrity was hit by a landslide?

5 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

Sorry, but I am unclear on this post.  The Norwegian Sun hit an iceberg and Celebrity was hit by a landslide?

NCL Sun hit a growler.  discovery Princess was in Skagway when the landslide occurred.  Until they fix the railroad pier there is only space for one ship and it is at the far end with access blocked, so ships have to tender.  EM

• Thanks 1

@PACD_JG We are doing this same cruise on 7/9.  Which nights were Gala nights, please?  Our PCC told me the nights of the at-sea days were Gala nights, but that means that one Gala is the last night on the ship.  Somewhere else I read that they never do Galas the last night on the ship.  Thanks!

20 minutes ago, bbstx said:

@PACD_JG We are doing this same cruise on 7/9.  Which nights were Gala nights, please?  Our PCC told me the nights of the at-sea days were Gala nights, but that means that one Gala is the last night on the ship.  Somewhere else I read that they never do Galas the last night on the ship.  Thanks!

The Gala Nights were the Sunday sea day, and Wednesday after Glacier Bay on our Koningsdam cruise on 6/11 - 6/18.  

12 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

NCL Sun hit a growler.  discovery Princess was in Skagway when the landslide occurred.  Until they fix the railroad pier there is only space for one ship and it is at the far end with access blocked, so ships have to tender.  EM

Correct.

Since I saw a recent thread about laundry device.  It’s $49 for a 7-day cruise.  Best deal in the ship.  Since we are 4 traveling with carry-on only, this is a lifesaver.  Turnaround is promised in 48 hours, but we’ve had same day service each time.  Just turned in our 5th (and last) bag of laundry, which is the max you can really do.

• Like 1

Some entertainment comments.  Saw two shows by the Step One Dance company.  3 chaps, 3 dames = very talented.  However much I enjoyed it though, is it headliner worthy?  Probably not - but there’s no doubt of the talent.  Comedian was funny - I probably laughed way too loud because of his material.  Pretty racy for a HAL audience.  Some folks chose to bring their kids - one was 9.  The reason I know…the comedian asked him.  And then it seemed like he cursed even more…I probably would have done the same.  For those that were scarred…you deserve it.  The Rolling Stones band was just okay.  Certainly enjoyable enough, but nothing to remark about their ability.  The piano folks - no vocal chops.  I’m sure I could sing the male lead vocals better.  The bb king band - much more talent…but my least favorite music.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ketchikan - took the city bus to Totem Bight.  Perfect plan for those interested.  Walk to the museum (visit if you must….free for vets, so we went in since the bus only comes once an hour.  Get on the bus here….plenty of seats, but when we pulled up in front of the cruise ships the bus got to standing room only.  Bus drops you off at the park.  Comes back in an hour.  That’s all you need to visit.  Total price is $2 one-way for adult, $1 for child.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1