ArriveCAN redux

SORRY IN ADVANCE for asking about this stuff - but I can't find an answer after searching so again, I'm leaning on y'all for some quick help - 

Got the notice from HAL today for the "72 hours before departure" stuff - and I expected almost all of it - what I didn't expect to see was "All guests must complete ArriveCAN within 72 hours of embark and provide their receipt at cruise check-in. Visit https://*****/hal_arrivecan for info".

The reason why is that we have been in Canada for a week now. We already completed ArriveCAN when we flew in from Chicago last week. I'm assuming the above statement is for those flying into Canada within 72 hours of embarking, but "all guests must complete" is different than "guests who are arriving from outside Canada for embarkation". 

I fiddled around with the app some to see if I can't find an option that fits my scenario just to be sure I wasn't missing something but no, no options for someone who has been in Canada already for a week before cruising.

Can anyone verify for me that I don't need to mess with ArriveCAN again in this case?

Even if you don't do it, you will still be allowed on the ship.   You are in an odd position so I don't know if they'll tell you to do anything more or not??    I'm writing a review right now and there are several paragraphs/posts about what happened with ARRIVECAN with several people... you are in an odd situation, for sure.  I wouldn't worry about it too much because no matter what, they will still let you board the ship. 

The wording on the app could be better, but There is a place on the app for cruises ( marine vs by land or air). In that section you can put in the details of where your cruise starts and ends etc...and starting in Canada is one of the options. 

Maybe you have to do the arrivecan as it ties your proof of vaccination to your passport & you need to be vaccinated to get on a cruise ship in Canada?  

• Like 1

You can try calling ArriveCAN 1-833-283-7403 7 days a week, 7:00 a.-8:00 p. eastern time.

I spoke with a rep night before last around dinner time and didn't have to wait but a few minutes for him to answer.  I had a different question, so I am no knowledgeable help to your specific question.

My question was re two B2B cruises round-trip Seattle, so entering and leaving Canada twice.  It took quite a while for him to grasp the concept of B2B cruises, but then said we'd have to make a second entry 72 hours before the second cruise as well as the first cruise.

Edited by 12cruise2
  • Like 1

Every time you enter Canada, you are required to make an ArriveCAN submission. That includes when you embark on a cruise that exits Canada and subsequently re-enters Canada. So yes, you will need to make a submission for your upcoming Alaskan cruise RT Vancouver. 

Having already done so once, it will take you just a couple of minutes this time around, as all of your personal information will have been saved in the app. You just need to input your cruise details before submitting.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fsdj1097 said:

When you completed your ArriveCan prior to entering Canada, you received a receipt on the App, and also an emailed receipt.  You just need to show that when you're embarking your cruise.

Sorry, but this information is not correct.  As the cruise exits and then re-enters Canada, a new submission is required.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

Sorry, but this information is not correct.  As the cruise exits and then re-enters Canada, a new submission is required.

I read the OP's statement that they are just now preparing to embark the cruise...after being in Canada for 7 days....but the will need to update ArriveCan when they prepare to disembark the cruise. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, fsdj1097 said:

I read the OP's statement that they are just now preparing to embark the cruise...after being in Canada for 7 days....but the will need to update ArriveCan when they prepare to disembark the cruise. 

Having been in Canada for 7 days is totally irrelevant. A Canadian born here and who has lived here all his or her life would still need to make an ArriveCAN submission within 72 hours before boarding a cruise ship destined for Canada. That includes embarking outside or inside Canada if the final destination is a Canadian port.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, *Miss G* said:

Are you leaving Canada and then re-entering?  (i.e., a Vancouver-return trip)  If so, that is the reason you have to make another ArriveCAN submission.

nope - been in Canada this whole time - arriving tomorrow from Whistler for HAL-arranged hotel the night before embarkation.

4 hours ago, Fouremco said:

Having been in Canada for 7 days is totally irrelevant. A Canadian born here and who has lived here all his or her life would still need to make an ArriveCAN submission within 72 hours before boarding a cruise ship destined for Canada. That includes embarking outside or inside Canada if the final destination is a Canadian port.

okay - gotcha - but if I'm following your thinking, then I need to fill out ArriveCAN within 72 hours of arriving BACK in Canada at the END of the cruise since we leave Vancouver and go to Alaska (USA) and no ports in Canada until July 9th? 

Are you saying you have to fill out ArriveCAN, being a Canadian citizen, to board a cruise ship embarking in Vancouver?

4 hours ago, fsdj1097 said:

I feel a little better about being confused at this point.....

4 hours ago, Fouremco said:

6 hours ago, fsdj1097 said:

When you completed your ArriveCan prior to entering Canada, you received a receipt on the App, and also an emailed receipt.  You just need to show that when you're embarking your cruise.

But that receipt is now gone on the app because I have already arrived in Canada. I cannot access it in the app any longer because it is "expired" or in the past..... I have a hard copy of it but it's from last Saturday so I don't think it applies.

15 hours ago, BroncoBobblehead said:

SORRY IN ADVANCE for asking about this stuff - but I can't find an answer after searching so again, I'm leaning on y'all for some quick help - 

Got the notice from HAL today for the "72 hours before departure" stuff - and I expected almost all of it - what I didn't expect to see was "All guests must complete ArriveCAN within 72 hours of embark and provide their receipt at cruise check-in. Visit https://*****/hal_arrivecan for info".

The reason why is that we have been in Canada for a week now. We already completed ArriveCAN when we flew in from Chicago last week. I'm assuming the above statement is for those flying into Canada within 72 hours of embarking, but "all guests must complete" is different than "guests who are arriving from outside Canada for embarkation". 

I fiddled around with the app some to see if I can't find an option that fits my scenario just to be sure I wasn't missing something but no, no options for someone who has been in Canada already for a week before cruising.

Can anyone verify for me that I don't need to mess with ArriveCAN again in this case?

yes...you have to fill it out if cruise will visit (or return) to canadian port. I'm a canadian and went on Konnigsdam to alaska from vancouver and filled it out

they check before they let you board the ship

you just delete your old trip in arrivcan and add the cruise as new trip. takes like a minute as alll your previous stuff is already saved. If you think about it, you are leaving canada and going outside the country and coming back. no different than if you flew to US (or whereever) from canada and go back a week later..you still have to clear immigration and customs right?

yes...you have to fill it out if cruise will visit (or return) to canadian port. I'm a canadian and went on Konnigsdam to alaska from vancouver and filled it out

they check before they let you board the ship

you just delete your old trip in arrivcan and add the cruise as new trip. takes like a minute as alll your previous stuff is already saved. If you think about it, you are leaving canada and going outside the country and coming back. no different than if you flew to US (or whereever) from canada and go back a week later..you still have to clear immigration and customs right?

reason you don't have to do it within 72hrs of return is most likely they know not everyone will have internet on a cruise ship to be able to fill it out 72hrs before arrival to canadian port and there's no feasible way for cruise to check all pax 72hrs before arrival...so they make it within 72hrs of embarkation so they check it at same time as documents, and vax etc. 

Edited by gilboman
clarification
  • Like 1

UPDATE: so, I spent 20 min nosing around in the app and can't find a scenario that would fit what I'm doing. It wants to know WHERE I am arriving into Canada but since I'm already in Canada I can't select any option that is correct. Can't use my flight from last week because it won't go back further than 72 hours. So finally just selected arriving by marine and picked "vancouver cruise terminal" or something like that (couldn't even pick Canada Place cruise terminal as an option), can't pick "arrive by car" because I didn't arrive at any border patrol site listed either.  BUT, I got a submission in and a receipt I can show someone, even if it's not correct. 

When we arrived last week, NOBODY even asked to see the ArriveCAN - never had to show anything to anyone so there's that too. What a hassle!

1 hour ago, BroncoBobblehead said:

UPDATE: so, I spent 20 min nosing around in the app and can't find a scenario that would fit what I'm doing. It wants to know WHERE I am arriving into Canada but since I'm already in Canada I can't select any option that is correct. Can't use my flight from last week because it won't go back further than 72 hours. So finally just selected arriving by marine and picked "vancouver cruise terminal" or something like that (couldn't even pick Canada Place cruise terminal as an option), can't pick "arrive by car" because I didn't arrive at any border patrol site listed either.  BUT, I got a submission in and a receipt I can show someone, even if it's not correct. 

When we arrived last week, NOBODY even asked to see the ArriveCAN - never had to show anything to anyone so there's that too. What a hassle!

Arrivcan submits info electronically and is tied to your passport..they don't need to see it when you arrive as they already have the info.

Your previous trip (into Canada) is totally irrelevant and has zero relevance 

do you have kids or nephews etc who can help you? 

If you still want to try on your own, you are arriving into Vancouver cruise terminal, you can't select your embarkation date as it's only upto 72hrs before embarkation of your cruise ..your arrival is the date you return to Vancouver (end of cruise)

I had zero issues with arrivcan for my Alaska cruise from roundtrip Vancouver cruise.

You seem to be stuck on your initial trip into Canada which is over and not relevant at all anymore

So eg if cruising this Saturday (say July 2-9) ..you can fill out arrivcan starting today as it's within 72hr of embarkation and it let's you select as far out as July 2 ... your entry date is July 9 (return)

Edited by gilboman

1 minute ago, gilboman said:

You seem to not be tech savvy at all, do you have kids or nephews etc who can help you?

Actually, I'm not a tech idiot. I believe if you were to dig in and try to answer my specific question perhaps you'd understand that the situation does not have a clear answer. Being insulting wastes your time and mine.

The issue with ArriveCAN being presumably not viewed is but a side-quest to the original issue. My only point in bringing that up is that it says you must have a QR code or receipt available to show customs but that is not the case (or at least was not the case in my travels).

1 hour ago, BroncoBobblehead said:

nope - been in Canada this whole time - arriving tomorrow from Whistler for HAL-arranged hotel the night before embarkation.

Let me rephrase this.  Are you boarding a ship in Vancouver, cruising to Alaska, then returning to Vancouver?

2 minutes ago, BroncoBobblehead said:

Actually, I'm not a tech idiot. I believe if you were to dig in and try to answer my specific question perhaps you'd understand that the situation does not have a clear answer. Being insulting wastes your time and mine.

The issue with ArriveCAN being presumably not viewed is but a side-quest to the original issue. My only point in bringing that up is that it says you must have a QR code or receipt available to show customs but that is not the case (or at least was not the case in my travels).

I already answered it and have already completed a cruise starting from Vancouver and returning to Vancouver

Happy to answer any more  questions you may have but re read my response above as I've edited to eli5 that should help 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, BroncoBobblehead said:

You are making it so much more complicated than it need be.

First of all, for a cruise that will terminate in Canada having exited and re-entered the country, you need to make an ArriveCAN submission within 72 hours BEFORE BOARDING, not before disembarking.

Secondly, I almost hate to say it, but there is an update to the app. The old one probably still works, but you might want to download the new one. It will save all of your personal information.

As to how to fill it out:

Entry into Canada:

Entry by Marine

Marine trip details:

Country of original departure - Canada

Date of embarkation - date your cruise starts

Port of entry - Vancouver Cruise Ship Operations

Date of arrival - date your cruise finishes

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, BroncoBobblehead said:

The ArriveCAN submission is tied to your passport information.  The ships are responsible for ensuring all passengers have their QR codes prior to boarding.  They are the ones who will want to see it.  CBSA already sees it with your passport information when they receive the manifest from the ship.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Fouremco said:

You are making it so much more complicated than it need be.

First of all, for a cruise that will terminate in Canada having exited and re-entered the country, you need to make an ArriveCAN submission within 72 hours BEFORE BOARDING, not before disembarking.

Secondly, I almost hate to say it, but there is an update to the app. The old one probably still works, but you might want to download the new one. It will save all of your personal information.

As to how to fill it out:

Entry into Canada:

Entry by Marine

Marine trip details:

Country of original departure - Canada

Date of embarkation - date your cruise starts

Port of entry - Vancouver Cruise Ship Operations

Date of arrival - date your cruise finishes

as I said in my UPDATE above - this is exactly what I did....... thank you, kindly, though for your help! Glad to know I did it correctly.