Catholic Mass on Nieuw Amsterdam to Alaska

motravelerken

So I am thinking about booking an HAL Alaska cruise in the summer of 2023. Looking at the Northbound Nieuw Amsterdam cruises that sail one way from Vancouver to Whittier and leave on a Sunday afternoon and get to Whittier on a Sunday morning.  I have heard that Holland America normally has a Catholic Priest onboard and have daily mass. My questions are as follows: Is this what cruisers have experienced with HAL? And specifically with the Alaska cruises? Do they conduct daily mass? And IF the cruise disembarks on Sunday morning, will they do a Saturday evening mass to fulfill the Sunday catholic mass obligation? These things are not all deal breakers but are important to some members of my family that are thinking about cruising HAL. I know other cruise lines do not do this so could influence us to choose an HAL Alaskan cruise. I would love to hear people's personal experience with this. Thank you!!!

We attend Mass on every cruise for the past 20 years.  Its a great convenience for us.  On Sunday departures we attend a Sunday evening Mass and a Saturday evening before departure day (on a 7 day cruise).  There are daily Masses, usually at 5 PM, but sometimes (like sea days) they can be in the mornings, so check your daily schedule.

This is one of the reasons we sail with HAL!

• Like 3

HAL tries to have a priest on board every sailing. Exceptions may be a charter cruise or if an unexpected circumstance should arise, such as + for Covid. There is daily Mass and a Saturday evening Mass which is good for Sunday. They also do a late night one (around 11:30 p.m.) for the crew.  I have done 4 HAL cruises and have always had the priest on board. Kudos to HAL for continuing this program.

We were on the Nieuw Amsterdam for 2 weeks earlier this month June 5-19. We were very disappointed that there was no priest on board the first week. That really is one of the reasons we sail HAL. Luckily, we had gone to mass Sat evening at the Cathedral in Vancouver.  Nothing was said but the Daily program just listed a "Catholic Prayer Led by Congregation" item each day. They did leave out the books and a cross but no one came by to tell us what was going on or how to turn down the loud music in the room. One of the men in the group stepped up and we did a modified Liturgy of the Word most days or a rosary some mornings. I asked the Concierge if she knew if there'd be a priest on the next week but she had trouble finding anything out. Since we'd be in Whittier that Sunday and there is no church in Whittier that was an issue. I finally got someone at the Front Desk to make some calls and was told that one would be boarding in Whittier. Unfortunately, he had a late flight and didn't get to the ship until 7:30 so no mass that weekend. However, he was wonderful and we had mass daily after that including a Vigil mass on Sat since everyone would be traveling on Sun. The crowd was too big for the room provided even though they kept brining in more chairs there were still people standing outside the door. The really sad part is that he said he always enjoyed saying mass with the Filipino Crew on board but found out when he boarded that they are not currently allowing that due to the Covid protocols. It's really sad that the crew is not allowed to attend mass. Hopefully things will improve soon and they will be able to worship again. 

We have sailed on HAL 10 times and have had a priest on board every cruise except last January. We were told that HAL could not get a priest for the January cruise due to COVID concerns.  HAL helped organize a daily gathering of passengers to pray together and read the daily mass.

You can contact the Apostleship of the Sea Organization (aos-usa.org) to find out if a priest has been assigned to your cruise.  

Enjoy your cruise.

Edited by Cajuntraveler
  • Like 3

• 9 months later...

About 4 years ago,  during the Buffalo RC church pedophile scandal, an interesting item came to light.  Then Bishop Malone wrote a very complimentary reference letter for a priest to the AOS organization.  This  priest had been the subject of credible child molestation accusations, subsequently proven true.   The Buffalo News was unable to determine if this. priest had gone on any cruises  Bishop Malone was forced to retire by the Vatican.

Edited by Tom47

I have been on 6 Holland America Cruises.  
We have always had a Priest. 

Going on Oosterdam this summer to Greece. Excited to have Mass in Ephesus at Mary’s house on our Shore Excursion.  Also stopping in Split and headed up to Medujore for the day 

Holland America is so great to offer Mass on all Cruises