Celebrity Best Price Guarantee and Travel Agent Promotions (TA refundable OBC)

Coarsegold_Mom

Can anyone tell me if Travel Agent OBC (refundable OBC) is normally taken into consideration when repricing a cruise?  We booked a cruise 2 weeks ago.  The price did not change but Celebrity is now offering an additional $400 of OBC.  My travel agent is trying to tell me I don't qualify for the new promo because I would lose the OBC that the travel agency is giving me.  Is this true?  I would think that TA OBC and Celebrity OBC are treated differently.

Thank You!

Most times TA OBC won't change unless the price is lower which causes them a reduced commission.  There are times when there is some cross promotional OBC given by the  TA but really comes from Celebrity but this is always non-refundable and I think usually no more than $100 or so.

The story from your TA doesn't sound quite right.   I'd have them explain where their OBC was coming from (Agency or Celebrity).   As long as you are not past the final payment date for your sailing then there is no reason you would not be eligible to reprice with this promotion.   If the TA is not going to give you the same perks for doing so it's up to them to explain why.

• Like 1

Doesn't sound right to me either. I would ask them to point out where in the T&Cs that is stated. I've never had any issue getting a cruise repriced to take advantage of a new promo. As Wrk2Cruise said, if it has any effect, it may lower the amount OBC they give you but since the price isn't changing in this case it shouldn't. The pessimist in me thinks it's more likey they're trying to avoid the work.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Coarsegold_Mom said:

Can anyone tell me if Travel Agent OBC (refundable OBC) is normally taken into consideration when repricing a cruise?  We booked a cruise 2 weeks ago.  The price did not change but Celebrity is now offering an additional $400 of OBC.  My travel agent is trying to tell me I don't qualify for the new promo because I would lose the OBC that the travel agency is giving me.  Is this true?  I would think that TA OBC and Celebrity OBC are treated differently.

Thank You!

If you reprice to the new Celebrity deal then everything resets.

Any OBC from your TA has zero to do with a price match- unless your fare is part of a group fare.  Look at your confirmation to see if it is a group fare.  If not you need to go back to your TA and probably find a new TA.

It also is possible that Celebrity is taking part of the extra OBC from the TAs.  They will deny this but it used to happen often.

1 minute ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

If you reprice to the new Celebrity deal then everything resets.

Any OBC from your TA has zero to do with a price match- unless your fare is part of a group fare.  Look at your confirmation to see if it is a group fare.  If not you need to go back to your TA and probably find a new TA.

It also is possible that Celebrity is taking part of the extra OBC from the TAs.  They will deny this but it used to happen often.

This might have been the case but I fought for it and it all got resolved.  I called Celebrity to confirm what was Celebrity Credit and what was TA Credit.  I emailed back my TA and told him Celebrity had indicated that he should be able to reprice regardless of TA OBC to get me the additional OBC credit being offered today by Celebrity.  He called Celebrity again and explained everything again and was able to reprice me w/ the additional OBC.  Sometimes, I think it has to do w/ which Celebrity agent you TA is dealing with as well.

Thank you for your comment.