Leaving Rome via United Airlines to Dulles Intl

BethesdaSC

Not sure if this is the proper location to post this question. United offers a direct flight from Rome to Dulles daily around 10:30 am. I’ve read Rome can be a bit of a nightmare. Has anyone tried to take this flight the morning of disembarking?  My cruise is next year so flight times may change. Thanks so much!

The topic is discussed here quite frequently. Flights non-stop to the US tend to leave between 10am and 11am, as the plane has arrived between about 7 am and 9am, and they just turn that plane around.

Yes, Rome can be a mess. It has been recommended here for years that you allow 3 hours for the various processes at Rome. With current staffing issues, that advice is critical.

Whether or not you can make it depends on when your ship actually allows people to disembark, not the time it claims to dock. Many ships claim they dock at 5 or 6am, and people believe that means they can disembark shortly thereafter. Our experience with our favorite cruise line is no matter the docking time, they rarely allow people to disembark before 7am.

Note the drive time from the port to the airport is one hour. And yes, flight times do change...frequently to an earlier time at Rome for those US board flights.

I would suggest you do what we did last time were disembarked in Rome. Book an all day tour from Rome in Limo that drops you at the Airport Hilton at the end of the tour, and catch that United flight the next day. Or plan on a stressful rush if your ship does allow you to disembark a little earlier. You will definitely need to book a private transport (from somebody like Rome in Limo) to get to the airport promptly if you try to make the flight on the day you get off the ship.

• Like 1

I just returned from a Rome-Athens cruise. Rome was a piece of cake, except Air Canada lost/misplaced a lot of luggage, mine included. It arrived on the ship at the last minute. I planned to arrive two days before sailing, but the flight was cancelled so we were only one day early. I strongly suggest you follow how United is functioning with staff reductions at airports and flight crew. If they are cancelling/delaying flights left & right like Air Canada, you might want to allow a days cushion so that you make it to your cruise. 

8 hours ago, MrsKMB said:

I just returned from a Rome-Athens cruise. Rome was a piece of cake, except Air Canada lost/misplaced a lot of luggage, mine included. It arrived on the ship at the last minute. I planned to arrive two days before sailing, but the flight was cancelled so we were only one day early. I strongly suggest you follow how United is functioning with staff reductions at airports and flight crew. If they are cancelling/delaying flights left & right like Air Canada, you might want to allow a days cushion so that you make it to your cruise. 

OP is asking about departing from Rome the day of disembarking. Not arriving prior to their cruise.

• Like 1

On 7/3/2022 at 4:22 AM, CruiserBruce said:

OP is asking about departing from Rome the day of disembarking. Not arriving prior to their cruise.

Oops. Well, in that case, my flight out of Athens was delayed and a connection cancelled. Also, a three hour wait at security in Montreal that wasn't mentioned to anyone. Oh, and a three hour wait for luggage. Bottom line: research any issues with the airport and airline!

Can it be done?  In normal times the answer would be Yes.  These days it will depend on the phases of the moon and a lot of luck.   If your ship is scheduled for a very early docking (by 6am) in Civitavecchia it is possible with some planning.  You would want to do "express debarkation" where you must manage all your own luggage and get it from your cabin to the pier.  But even express debarkation can be a mess if you are on a large mega ship (it is no problem on smaller ships).  You would want to arrange for a private transfer (we recommend "Romecabs.com"  which we have found to be very reliable.  Sharing a transfer with 1 or 2 other couples will reduce your cost but also complicate things since you all need to be off the ship early.  With a 10:30 flight it is wise to plan on being at FCO by 7:30 which means departing the port by 6:30 - 6:45.  Transfers before 7am generally cost a few more Euros but if you want that early flight be prepared to spend the extra money.  Even if you were delayed and did not get out of the port until 7am you would likely make your flight unless you run into a horrid situation at FCO (which happens too often these days).  

Now I will give you some personal advice.  You should have a "Plan B" which is what happens if you do miss that flight?  We always have a philosophy of "plan for the worst and hope for the best" and that would apply here.   Also consider spending a few days in Rome (post cruise) which takes advantage of the fact that you are already in Europe.  Rome is a wonderful place (worthy of many days).  If taking a 10:30 am flight out of FCO we would suggest spending the pre-flight night at the Rome Airport Hilton (you can walk from this hotel to the terminal) or another airport hotel that offers early transfers.

We have flown out of FCO many times (counted by the dozens) after cruises and always made our flight.  But our earliest flight (ever) was at 10:50 and this goes back to USAIR days when aviation and airports were a lot more reliable than these days.

Hank

Just back this Monday from an "X" cruise disembarking Civitavecchia.  The cruise line wanted flights departing 11AM or later and "forced" us to change reservations to a flight departing FCO at 11:05.  We moored Civitavecchia at 0530ish and walked off just before 0700 to the luggage area in the cruise terminal.  Booked with "Bob's Limo" for pickup at the pier and driver was waiting.  (Used "Bob's Limo" for FCO to Rome hotel pre-cruise and for transfer Rome to Civitavecchia port on departure day: on time and on target for all three trips).  Just FYI, the price for the private transportation was equivalent for Celebrity's price for two.  The real issue is not the drive between the port and FCO, rather the one and a half to two hour experience processing through airline checkin, immigration and security.  Dreadful.

Thanks to everyone posting your experiences! As the year goes by, I’ll watch for articles and future posts here to see how things are going.  As I’m planning to spend time in Rome prior to embarking, I’m hoping to go home after arriving back in port. I have no problem doing self assist ASAP and paying for car service for just the 2 of us. Safe travels to everyone!