Just back! Our VIKING SKY-mazing 7 day Ancient Mediterranean Treasures - 6/25 to 7/2/2022. Full trip report with tons of pix!

Sleep7

Just as an aside.. way back on page nine I corrected that the medical symbol that we saw in Ephesus signifying that there were doctors who practiced in the city as a Rod of Asclepius and not a Caduceus.

It's funny how coincidental travel experiences weave in and out of vacations.

A few weeks ago we were on a trip out west and went to the Museum of Clean in Pocatello, Idaho.

I saw this bust with an explanation of who Hygeia was and who her father was.. the aforementioned Asclepius (Aesculapius?)

P.S. If you are ever in Pocatello you must visit The Museum of Clean! It was awesome!!

00-82qzCefrjPOP0EP8W0X1Ip5oRj-16P8b-K8ijSg6I1SPk8Ck4YgWuoq12ITextb2UnDnu4gHHWpfyYq5WwzmNg?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1660171655

00-82qzCefrjPOP0EP8W0X1Ip5oRj-16P8b-K8ijSg6I1SIKYYY1MTggxY4wd45Hx2NrnHjCyIZu59oV2we_kMG9A?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1656789181

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sleep7 said:

👋Hello May B!

I'm so glad that you enjoyed my report and all of the fun that followed... it truly was a wonderful cruise!

As far as the headstones.. I'm so sorry but I don't have any information about the inscriptions.  I don't read Hebrew so I don't know where Leah Mazal Tov is written and the guide didn't mention it.  Since you missed the cemetery I went back through my pix and there was one I didn't include which was a Holocaust memorial.  I enlarged the words so you could see what it said.😊

Safe and happy travels to you always too!!😍

00-82qzCefrjPOP0EP8W0X1Ip5oRj-16P8b-K8ijSg6I1Q7BabbZP8xF1f7riN0zR6hrnHjCyIZu59oV2we_kMG9A?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1656789238

00-82qzCefrjPOP0EP8W0X1Ip5oRj-16P8b-K8ijSg6I1R223SURMuszSTIz4LTFmVFUnDnu4gHHWpfyYq5WwzmNg?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1661858270

Thank you for finding and posting this one! I can understand the … French?! … much better than the Hebrew or the Greek. Or perhaps it’s Italian? 

Our guide inside the synagogue was the son of a survivor. 

If anybody ever docks at Zakynthos, their Jewish history during WWII, and afterwards, is unique. It includes two very special Righteous Gentiles who were the heroes.

3 minutes ago, May B said:

Thank you for finding and posting this one! I can understand the … French?! … much better than the Hebrew or the Greek. Or perhaps it’s Italian? 

Our guide inside the synagogue was the son of a survivor. 

If anybody ever docks at Zakynthos, their Jewish history during WWII, and afterwards, is unique. It includes two very special Righteous Gentiles who were the heroes.

👋Hi again!

Happy I found that extra pic in the cemetery for you. 

Looks like French to me?  Not 100% sure.

That is amazing that your guide was the child of a survivor.. I think there were only about 150 of them who lived.  

I love to read and hear about Righteous Gentiles too.. I was anxious to include pictures of the two Turkish ones who did what they could to protect the Jews.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Sleep7 said:

👋Hi again!

Happy I found that extra pic in the cemetery for you. 

Looks like French to me?  Not 100% sure.

That is amazing that your guide was the child of a survivor.. I think there were only about 150 of them who lived.  

I love to read and hear about Righteous Gentiles too.. I was anxious to include pictures of the two Turkish ones who did what they could to protect the Jews.

That wasn’t our guide for the private tour, just a member of the small congregation. Our guide pointed out the location, and of the memorial in the town square. Then after he took us to their stadium track (?),  to Lindos, by the cemetery and to the statue of the Colossus, the tour ended. Then we went back into the walled city and visited on our own. It was a good private tour, arranged by somebody on my roll call thread. She wanted one other couple to join, which worked out great.

The Turks took in the Jews of the Inquisition with open arms, just as the Dutch did. I loved when we got to do a cruise from Amsterdam to Istanbul, covering both bases!

Edited by May B

9 minutes ago, May B said:

The Turks took in the Jews of the Inquisition with open arms, just as the Dutch did. I loved when we got to do a cruise from Amsterdam to Istanbul, covering both bases!

Yes!! I love that too. 🤗

• Like 1

10 hours ago, May B said:

This has been so much fun to read! Thank you Sleep7, and everybody who chimed in.

I’m so happy to see you made it into the cemetery on Rhodes. We had a private tour with one other couple, but the cemetery wasn’t open when we stopped by. Those headstones are difficult to read! Do you happen to remember if anybody knew what Leah Mazal Tov meant on one of them? 

And let me tell you, my friends and relatives who travel often in business class are delighted to share what their experience is like. I think they are aware how fortunate they are. 

Safe travels to everybody, and safe time at home, too. 😃

The word "Mazal Tov" or "Mazel Tov" is translated from Hebrew directly as "Good Fortune" or "Good Luck" in English, but in use, it is used as "Congratulations" for a past of still occurring event or celebration.  E.g. "Mazel Tov on the big promotion last week" or just "Mazel Tov" when you see the bride or groom at the wedding (either at the start, in the middle, or the end of the affair - or even after.).

However, I did some research into the gravestone in Rhodes.  The individual's name was "Lea Mazal Tov (Judea) Hasson (d. 1932).  Lea was the woman's first name, Hasson her last (married), and Judea her maiden name.  Mazal Tov in this case, was probably her middle name (or less likely a nick-name).  The etymology of the word means "constellation," and more specifically a good sign in the skies - having the meaning of "good fortune" (as I had begun above) - which is probably where the middle name was derived.

One can imagine how or why she was given this as a middle name, maybe she was born sickly and out of good fortune survived, or possibly a bad pregnancy and delivery.

PS: Business class is very nice!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Travel R said:

The word "Mazal Tov" or "Mazel Tov" is translated from Hebrew directly as "Good Fortune" or "Good Luck" in English, but in use, it is used as "Congratulations" for a past of still occurring event or celebration.  E.g. "Mazel Tov on the big promotion last week" or just "Mazel Tov" when you see the bride or groom at the wedding (either at the start, in the middle, or the end of the affair - or even after.).

However, I did some research into the gravestone in Rhodes.  The individual's name was "Lea Mazal Tov (Judea) Hasson (d. 1932).  Lea was the woman's first name, Hasson her last (married), and Judea her maiden name.  Mazal Tov in this case, was probably her middle name (or less likely a nick-name).  The etymology of the word means "constellation," and more specifically a good sign in the skies - having the meaning of "good fortune" (as I had begun above) - which is probably where the middle name was derived.

One can imagine how or why she was given this as a middle name, maybe she was born sickly and out of good fortune survived, or possibly a bad pregnancy and delivery.

Wow! AWESOME detective work Travel R!👏👏👏

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Travel R said:

Great lesson, Travel R. 

Good point about her (Leah) possibly having been sick with a life-threatening illness. But does it not say who she’s the daughter of?

I believe Hassan is a fairly common Sephardic surname, but this was not a traditional Sephardic headstone. Perhaps you’ve seen both types, in Barbados?

We enjoyed using mega miles to fly business class, twice, to Australia! 

• Thanks 1

• 11 months later...

Bumping this thread back up since I found it super helpful!

But my question is for anyone who's done both the Istanbul extension and included excursion:  is the extension Bosphorus cruise pretty much the same as the excursion cruise (the extension includes lunch, but do you sail by the same sites on the excursion)? 

If yes, I'm thinking of skipping a repeat cruise and walking Galata Bridge (maybe, see next paragraph) to Galataport, explore there a bit, then return to ship (I realize another long walk through the terminal!)

Can anyone confirm that Bosphorus day cruises will be (Oct) departing from the "New Town" side, instead of the "Old Town" side?  (I thought I bumbled upon an article during my research, saying the dock location was changing, but can't find it again.)

Finally, can you walk on the pier all the way from Galata Bridge (or the day cruise dock) to Galataport?  Thanks!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, auntieS said:

Bumping this thread back up since I found it super helpful!

But my question is for anyone who's done both the Istanbul extension and included excursion:  is the extension Bosphorus cruise pretty much the same as the excursion cruise (the extension includes lunch, but do you sail by the same sites on the excursion)? 

If yes, I'm thinking of skipping a repeat cruise and walking Galata Bridge (maybe, see next paragraph) to Galataport, explore there a bit, then return to ship (I realize another long walk through the terminal!)

Can anyone confirm that Bosphorus day cruises will be (Oct) departing from the "New Town" side, instead of the "Old Town" side?  (I thought I bumbled upon an article during my research, saying the dock location was changing, but can't find it again.)

Finally, can you walk on the pier all the way from Galata Bridge (or the day cruise dock) to Galataport?  Thanks!

👋 Hi auntieS!

So glad that my review was helpful to you.😊

It's been more than a year since we sailed and I still think about that cruise often.

We just booked another 7 day Viking Ocean next year sailing the "Italian Sojourn" and I'm super excited.

As far as your Istanbul questions I hope somebody who has been more recently can answer them.

Enjoy it all!😊

@Sleep7...

We can't thank you enough for your wonderful travelogue!  It is truly a labor of love.

We fly to Rome on September 30th and board the Sky on October 6th for 55 days, disembarking in Fort Lauderdale on November 30th.  We're even more excited after reading about all you experienced.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, -Lew- said:

@Sleep7...

We can't thank you enough for your wonderful travelogue!  It is truly a labor of love.

We fly to Rome on September 30th and board the Sky on October 6th for 55 days, disembarking in Fort Lauderdale on November 30th.  We're even more excited after reading about all you experienced.

👋Hi Lew!

Thanks so much for your very sweet compliment.. it was truly fun to write as it brought back all the memories of the trip.

Wow wow wow!!  55 days on the Sky?? Lucky you! Means you will have 8 times as much fun as we did on our 7 days.. cruise math for you. 😁 

That's just amazing.. and coming up so soon!

One day would love to have the time to go away for more than a week or a smidge more at a time but for now will have to be satisfied with zipping in and out of Europe 8 days at a time.

Have the best time ever! We did 7 days (in reverse from Barcelona to Rome) of the cruise you are taking and I wrote a similar blog to this with all the Viking Daily planners in it if you are interested.

Enjoy every moment of your momentous trip.. wishing you safe and happy travels!

6 minutes ago, Sleep7 said:

One day would love to have the time to go away for more than a week or a smidge more at a time but for now will have to be satisfied with zipping in and out of Europe 8 days at a time.

Have the best time ever! We did 7 days (in reverse from Barcelona to Rome) of the cruise you are taking and I wrote a similar blog to this with all the Viking Daily planners in it if you are interested.

Enjoy every moment of your momentous trip.. wishing you safe and happy travels!

Although I'm sure we'll enjoy our 55 days, booking for that long is a result of a lot of FCCs from cancelled cruises during the height of COVID.  We love long cruises, but this will certainly be our longest.

I will check out your Barcelona to Rome blog.  Thank you for mentioning it.

Thank you for the good wishes...much appreciated!

• Like 1