Just back! Our VIKING SKY-mazing 7 day Ancient Mediterranean Treasures - 6/25 to 7/2/2022. Full trip report with tons of pix!

Sleep7

2 minutes ago, OnTheJourney said:

AND...I believe you have to travel aLOT - as in a good part of the year - not just a few weeks. Most I've seen are basically full-time travelers. Check out this one as an example:  https://www.worldwidewaftage.com  

Oooo! So interesting! I will read through it tonight. Thanks for the link!!!😊

1 minute ago, Sleep7 said:

I will read through it tonight.

LOL..you will have to do aLOT of reading to accomplish that! Their thing has been going on for years. Tons of reading on that site, maps, you name it. Like I said, not my thing. I look in on them from time to time. They ran into a mess during covid - were stuck in (I think) India for over a year. They use cruises as a way to connect their various itineraries. LOTS of detailed planning. NO physical "home" of any kind per se....I just couldn't do that. 

1 hour ago, OnTheJourney said:

LOL..you will have to do aLOT of reading to accomplish that! Their thing has been going on for years. Tons of reading on that site, maps, you name it. Like I said, not my thing. I look in on them from time to time. They ran into a mess during covid - were stuck in (I think) India for over a year. They use cruises as a way to connect their various itineraries. LOTS of detailed planning. NO physical "home" of any kind per se....I just couldn't do that. 

Ahhaaaa! Didn't realize the blog was "Around the World in 8000 Days!" 🤣

So interesting about being stranded abroad during COVID.. what a fright.

At this point DH is still working so going away for a large block of time is a no go.

Sometime in the future though.. would be nice to get away for at least 2 weeks at a time.😊

1 hour ago, Sleep7 said:

would be nice to get away for at least 2 weeks at a time.

Yeah that's about the timeframe we enjoy. We have a few 3-week trips coming up and that's about as long as I care for. As much as I love to travel, always look forward to getting back home, increasingly so as I get older I suppose. I always worry about a few unpredictable medical issues that might decide to make an appearance while we're away. I get totally random meniere's disease attacks. Not fun. Happened during the Chairman's cruise - during a group lunch nonetheless and so the food was basically wasted on me - didn't feel like eating it (but sure paid for it anyway LOL). Fortunately the episode passed fairly quickly and I was able to trudge on with the rest of the walking tour. So traveling is not the relatively worry-free experience it was in my younger days. 

1 hour ago, Sleep7 said:

"Around the World in 8000 Days!"

Where do they say that?  Don't recall reading that on their site. I glanced at it after sending you the link and then quickly lost interest. It's just...too much to take on and ultimately it's often about places I'll likely never get to anyway. Always wanted to visit all the continents, but SHOULD have done it, once again, when a bit younger. DW is not fond of flying - especially long trips, so the remaining continents we've not been to - Africa, Australia, and Asia - are all a question mark. Were I to have to settle on one of those - hands down would be Australia (and New Zealand during the same trip)  being that my paternal ancestry goes back to the coastal area of Warrnambool. Once again...LONG trip, to do it right. I'd never go by cruise ship - doesn't cover enough of the AUS interior. A good land tour = lots of flights during the itinerary. Sadly, despite it being a dream trip for decades, I don't see it happening anymore. Should have been done pre-meniere's disease. 

Edited by OnTheJourney

11 hours ago, OnTheJourney said:

Where do they say that?  Don't recall reading that on their site. I glanced at it after sending you the link and then quickly lost interest. It's just...too much to take on and ultimately it's often about places I'll likely never get to anyway. Always wanted to visit all the continents, but SHOULD have done it, once again, when a bit younger. DW is not fond of flying - especially long trips, so the remaining continents we've not been to - Africa, Australia, and Asia - are all a question mark. Were I to have to settle on one of those - hands down would be Australia (and New Zealand during the same trip)  being that my paternal ancestry goes back to the coastal area of Warrnambool. Once again...LONG trip, to do it right. I'd never go by cruise ship - doesn't cover enough of the AUS interior. A good land tour = lots of flights during the itinerary. Sadly, despite it being a dream trip for decades, I don't see it happening anymore. Should have been done pre-meniere's disease. 

😁Actually I made up "Around the World in 8000 Days" when I saw how long their blog was.  If I ever start one of my own now I have a title.👍

One (or both) of us not feeling well while away is always a fear in the back of my mind.. a fear that will probably only get worse the older we get I suppose.  I guess that's life.  There are always limiting factors.. whether it's time off from work or health issues or available funds.  So now with both of us at 60 I hope to travel as much as we can.. DH is a little less enthusiastic as he just would like to relax at home on a week he takes off from work.

Hahaaa.. not if I can help it! 😆

43 minutes ago, Sleep7 said:

DH is a little less enthusiastic as he just would like to relax at home on a week he takes off from work.

Can't really blame him!  Our favorite mode of travel is still just DW and I 'land cruising' by car. I don't mind hotel hopping (actually enjoy it), though for some folks that's why cruising is so desirable - only unpack once. I'm good with that also, but don't mind bopping around from place to place. We love cruising, but it's nice to get away on our own without being part of a group on a bus during a ship excursion and also all the crowds in and around the ship. We've wound up staying at some really interesting hotels for sure!  I reserve everything ahead of time and so it's almost like being locked into an organized land tour only of my own doing. Probably sounds restrictive, but also takes the guesswork out of not quite knowing where or how far we're going the next day or day after that or where we're gong to stay, etc. It usually works out well BUT requires a good bit of homework. To that end,  later fall we are hopefully doing a third attempt at a fly/drive out west to visit National Parks, starting in Tucson and ending in San Antonio. Had it booked twice and canceled due to covid-related issues.

Sounds like you're ready to pack and travel just about anytime. I can relate to that but must admit to feeling like I'm slowing down a tad. My aunt ALWAYS said, you have to 'travel when you're young'. DW and I were public school teachers, so all our vacations were relegated to the summer months. In retirement it has been great to go in fall and spring. I'm not a fan of summer weather - except for it being swimming season. 

Edited by OnTheJourney

23 hours ago, OnTheJourney said:

AND...I believe you have to travel aLOT - as in a good part of the year - not just a few weeks. Most I've seen are basically full-time travelers. Check out this one as an example:  https://www.worldwidewaftage.com   I'd never want to be away from home anywhere near this much. A 2-3 week trip is more than enough for me at any one time, and then perhaps another trip a few months after that. A nice, fairly substantial trip 3 times a year or so satisfies my wanderlust. The rest of the time...MORE than enough to do at home. 

I've thoroughly enjoyed following your journey.  We'll be doing a Viking Athens to Rome trip in fall of 2023 and this made me want to add Istanbul to Athens, but no luck!  Someday... I imagine time stretched out for you as it usually does for me when I'm traveling and having new experiences and that looking back, your week at sea seemed much longer.  Hope so!  I've thought about producing a daily record of our next Viking cruise (we've only done one so far -- but I've become such a Viking groupie that it feels like more, and we have 3 booked which have been postponed, replaced, rescheduled etc. etc.) We'll be on the Grand European River cruise in October from Budapest to Amsterdam with a pre-tour in Prague.  Anyway, I wonder whether you were able to preserve your entries and pictures from this CC thread somewhere separately for longer term use or if you'll always have to find them here in CC.  If you were able to preserve them, how did you do it?  Thanks so much for sharing your travel joys and tips.

4 hours ago, KTRaveller said:

I've thoroughly enjoyed following your journey.  We'll be doing a Viking Athens to Rome trip in fall of 2023 and this made me want to add Istanbul to Athens, but no luck!  Someday... I imagine time stretched out for you as it usually does for me when I'm traveling and having new experiences and that looking back, your week at sea seemed much longer.  Hope so!  I've thought about producing a daily record of our next Viking cruise (we've only done one so far -- but I've become such a Viking groupie that it feels like more, and we have 3 booked which have been postponed, replaced, rescheduled etc. etc.) We'll be on the Grand European River cruise in October from Budapest to Amsterdam with a pre-tour in Prague.  Anyway, I wonder whether you were able to preserve your entries and pictures from this CC thread somewhere separately for longer term use or if you'll always have to find them here in CC.  If you were able to preserve them, how did you do it?  Thanks so much for sharing your travel joys and tips.

👋Hi KTRaveller!

I'm so glad that you enjoyed "sailing" along with me.. thanks for your compliments.

Wow.. you have a lot of wonderful cruises coming up in the near and far future.. that's awesome.

It's so nice to capture the daily pleasure so you can share the smiles with others and also refer back to them in the future when you want to remember the fun!😊

I have done a few blogs like this in the past and all on Cruise Critic.

The earliest one from 2014 (which was probably the least "professional" one as it was a learning experience) seems to have lost most of the pictures but the others from 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, and 2021 are all intact.  I can still pull them up to enjoy just by clicking on the links to them.

I don't have them saved in any other way.

Your Grand European River Cruise is coming up so soon!! Enjoy every moment!!!

I want to thank you for this post -- Viking should give you a free cruise for the publicity!

We will be on our first Viking Cruise in May -- but for a first it is a long one -- 22 days -- and we are going to all the places you mentioned plus Greece, Croatia and Italy.  The last time we did an ocean cruise was 30 years ago when we got married -- we did Alaska. We will be on the ship on our 30th anniversary.  I am so looking forward to it. You really made it come alive. Thank you

2 hours ago, flare3192 said:

I want to thank you for this post -- Viking should give you a free cruise for the publicity!

We will be on our first Viking Cruise in May -- but for a first it is a long one -- 22 days -- and we are going to all the places you mentioned plus Greece, Croatia and Italy.  The last time we did an ocean cruise was 30 years ago when we got married -- we did Alaska. We will be on the ship on our 30th anniversary.  I am so looking forward to it. You really made it come alive. Thank you

Ahhh.. from your mouth to Viking's ears.. wouldn't that be sweet.🛳️

Thank you so much flare3192!  I"m so glad that my blog made your trip to be come alive. 

You will just LOVE your first Viking cruise!  I always feel the first time is always the most wondrous.  And made even more special that you are celebrating 30 years of cruising life together.😍

The one you booked is a doozy! 3 weeks aboard.. I'm very very jealous.😊

A perfect way to spend your anniversary.

Have the best time ever and enjoy enjoy enjoy!!

@Sleep7 - Yasher Koach on a fabulous review.  As mentioned in another post, we are considering a Viking cruise in 2024 (which possibly ports in Greece).  As a Viking virgin, I really appreciate the details, especially photos of all of the Daily's, menus, and your comments on each - it has provided great incite into what a Viking cruise would be like (we have only sailed mainstream lines).  Although I was reading the review to gain incite into the cruise itself, your discussion and beautiful photos of the ports make them very enticing for a future adventure.

Although I have a ton of specific questions, such as "can you order two entrees or appetizers," I am going to hold off on those until we (ourselves and another couple) definitely decide upon whether we will be taking a Viking cruise or not (we are currently considering everything from a premium to luxury cruise line). As I am reading more an more, Viking has become one of the top contenders, and your review had added towards my leaning in that direction.

Your review was very positive and upbeat, but as someone from the outside looking in, may I ask for what you would have changed about this cruise, if you had the opportunity? There are always some aspect that is not cheery (and it is how you deal with the issues is what matters most).  For instance, our recent cruise to Alaska (see review in signature below) was absolutely amazing; however, there were a few things we did not enjoy about the cruise, and although they did not affect our enjoyment, I was pretty blunt in stating what they were for others to gain some perspective.  Since this cruise is still fresh in your mind, if you would, please list some of the things you would tell a Viking newbie to look out for?

Thank you

Edited by Travel R

59 minutes ago, Travel R said:

@Sleep7 - Yasher Koach on a fabulous review.  As mentioned in another post, we are considering a Viking cruise in 2024 (which possibly ports in Greece).  As a Viking virgin, I really appreciate the details, especially photos of all of the Daily's, menus, and your comments on each - it has provided great incite into what a Viking cruise would be like (we have only sailed mainstream lines).  Although I was reading the review to gain incite into the cruise itself, your discussion and beautiful photos of the ports make them very enticing for a future adventure.

Although I have a ton of specific questions, such as "can you order two entrees or appetizers," I am going to hold off on those until we (ourselves and another couple) definitely decide upon whether we will be taking a Viking cruise or not (we are currently considering everything from a premium to luxury cruise line). As I am reading more an more, Viking has become one of the top contenders, and your review had added towards my leaning in that direction.

Your review was very positive and upbeat, but as someone from the outside looking in, may I ask for what you would have changed about this cruise, if you had the opportunity? There are always some aspect that is not cheery (and it is how you deal with the issues is what matters most).  For instance, our recent cruise to Alaska (see review in signature below) was absolutely amazing; however, there were a few things we did not enjoy about the cruise, and although they did not affect our enjoyment, I was pretty blunt in stating what they were for others to gain some perspective.  Since this cruise is still fresh in your mind, if you would, please list some of the things you would tell a Viking newbie to look out for?

Thank you

Thank you so much for your sweet compliments on both threads Travel R!  I'm so glad that my review was helpful. 🤗  Also thanks for the new phrase I have learned in Hebrew.  I had to google the meaning and now it shall stay with me.

I'm pondering and pondering what I would have changed on our cruise..

I know it sounds kooky but I don't think I would have changed anything.

It really all was as happy and trouble free as my blog made it out to be.

Every day just sailed along so pleasantly at just the right pace.

I will keep thinking though and if I come up with anything I will post again.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Travel R said:

Thank you

If you want an idea of how Viking responds to challenges, we were on the 2020 World Cruise, better known as the Magical Mystery Tour.

I completed daily blog posts. Feel free to check it out

www.AndyandJudi.com

Here is another blog from the 21/22 World Cruise

https://roseandtedsexcellentadventure.com/

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

If you want an idea of how Viking responds to challenges, we were on the 2020 World Cruise, better known as the Magical Mystery Tour.

I completed daily blog posts. Feel free to check it out

www.AndyandJudi.com

Here is another blog from the 21/22 World Cruise

https://roseandtedsexcellentadventure.com/

Thanks for posting the URLs to your blogs. I took a quick look and seems like a lot of great information. I'll go through it as I have time but will obviously take some time.

I see you have another world cruise set for 2023 - very nice!

2 hours ago, Travel R said:

Thanks for posting the URLs to your blogs. I took a quick look and seems like a lot of great information. I'll go through it as I have time but will obviously take some time.

I see you have another world cruise set for 2023 - very nice!

We booked the 22/23 WC the day it was published, but unfortunately had to cancel a couple of weeks ago.

Here is another blog from MonaLiza from the 22/23 WC

https://lowestravels.com/

16 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

Andy, that must have been quite some adventure, especially when it got down to...what was it?...like 9 remaining passengers onboard?  

28 minutes ago, OnTheJourney said:

Andy, that must have been quite some adventure, especially when it got down to...what was it?...like 9 remaining passengers onboard?  

The last 3 weeks were amazing, 8 pax and about 460 crew. Although we also had crew name badges and we all shared the ship.

On 8/23/2022 at 5:10 AM, Travel R said:

Thank you

Travel R,

Andy's website is a wonderful read.  We took our first Viking Cruise in May Istanbul to Venice.  Like Andy our prior cruises, not that many, were on Princess.  Viking is so much better that you cannot compare the two as they are different planets.

We are doing HAL Quebec to Boston in two weeks and I suspect that we will spend the entire cruise complaining that it isn't Viking!  But one day is Viking, when we see a bucket list site of l'Anse au Meadow in Northern Newfoundland.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, OnTheJourney said:

Amazing...and didn't you basically have the pick of the best rooms on the ship?  I recall you saying they made some great food for you. 

Affirmative, they gave each couple one of the Explorer Suites. Nice, but to be honest, we would never book one. We could ask for any dish, and it was available the next day.

Great times.

36 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

Affirmative, they gave each couple one of the Explorer Suites. Nice, but to be honest, we would never book one. We could ask for any dish, and it was available the next day.

Great times.

👋Hi Heidi13!

I'm following this thread with great interest!

Did you say that you were on the cruise with only a handful of others?

What happened?  Were they sick? When was this?

Please fill me in!😊