Trieste Port?

KarimaJ

Hi. Our cruise was moved from Venice to Trieste. We have booked the train from Venice to Trieste Centrale. Is the train station very close to the cruise port? We are hoping to drop off our luggage then walk around Trieste for a bit. Is this do-able and is Trieste nice to walk around? 

Yes Trieste is very walkable and beautiful. You will never find a cruise port so c3ntrally located within a city. Check in - go to your cabin - leave the ship - turn right and go for a walk down the Main Street down to the old fish market where all of the sailboats ar3 moored. Cross the street and walk up the other side of the street - make a point of going to a Piazza UNITA d’Italia - the largest piazza in Italy -stop for an Aperol Spritz or three. Continue on to the Canale Grande ( or it may be first).

Trieste is truly an undiscovered Italian gem - perhaps I am biased because I have relatives that live there, but please spend an hour and explore. You will not be disappointed.

Also just studying the map that was posted - go to PAM - a local grocery store - and pick up some regional wines, Prosecco, or Birra Moretti to take onboard - corkage be damned.

I was on the Gem 3 weeks ago and we did NOT embark / disembark right at the city pier. it was changed to Ormeggio 57 south of city center. NCL informed us of the change a couple of days before, but not that they would have a shuttle bus running from the “normal” pier to the new one. So we took the city bus and walked the last few hundred meters.

We got there right on time for the 9am slot marked on our cruise docs … but were told that the guards wouldn’t let us pass the gates until 10. We stood there for an hour, more and more people arriving by taxi, being told that they couldn’t go further. There were around 20 of us when finally someone from the port came, saw the situation and called a shuttle bus to take us for the last few meters. After that checkin was a breeze and I have never been on a ship earlier than this - I think we were up on the pool deck at 10:50!

If your pier is changed to Ormeggio 57, I would recommend walking to the city pier (route posted by ziggyuk) and taking the NCL shuttle bus. Or a taxi if you have an arrival slot after 10 am.

40B28AE6-1F3E-412F-9AA5-F6E3B9FA7B78.jpeg

Edited by 23words
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, 23words said:

I was on the Gem 3 weeks ago and we did NOT embark / disembark right at the city pier. it was changed to Ormeggio 57 south of city center. NCL informed us of the change a couple of days before, but not that they would have a shuttle bus running from the “normal” pier to the new one. So we took the city bus and walked the last few hundred meters.

Does that mean that NCL did have a shuttle from the "normal" pier, but didn't notify about that and you found out later? We have a cruise on the Gem out of Trieste in less than 3 weeks, and I am crossing my fingers that it will be leaving from the normal cruise pier, as I booked a hotel just across the street... If they change the pier/port, then we will just take a taxi (would prefer not to take a public bus and then walk in the heat that is in Italy at the moment)....