Galveston port - any restaurants near by?

Hi! We are cruising out of Galveston on July 23rd.  We will overnight in Houston and are planning a late check in to avoid the crowds and chaos. What we would love is to find a great restaurant within walking distance of the pier (because we will have our luggage with us).  Any recommendations?  My husband is convinced we are out of luck and that there aren't usually restaurants close to where ships board.  I would love to prove him wrong lol  Please and thank you!

Both terminals are close to The Strand in Galveston. It resembles old New Orleans and if you visit galveston.com and then click on dining you will see many options. We love Willie G's and Yagas Cafe. 

• Thanks 1

Just to clarify, you'll be driving from Houston to Galveston that morning, you have a late check-in for the cruise, and you're wanting someplace to walk to by the terminal for lunch? Or a late breakfast?

Or are you using some transport service to go directly to the terminal? If so, you could just go ahead and check your luggage and then walk the one block to the Strand or sideways to one of the Pier 21 restaurants as previously suggested. I can think of lots of places specifically, but my recs would depend on what time you're getting there and what time your check-in is.

You don't need to go insde the terminal building to drop your luggage with the porters. Just make sure you have your tags attached, drop them outside the terminal, and you're good to go until your assigned check in time. 

Our favorite lunch/dinner spot is either Katie's Seafood or Willie G's. Both are on the waterfront.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you will be there around brunch time, I'd suggest Hearsay on the Strand.

Like most everyone says, it's probably easier to drop your bags off first at the port and walk over. There is also a convenience store on one end of the Strand called "The Cruise Stop" where you can check your luggage while you walk around, if you don't go by the port first.

• Thanks 1

Hearsay has a good vibe but my favorite within walking distance would be Willie G's a short walk from Terminal 2 ( walk past Terminal 1 where Carnival docks and you should see Willie Gs; Katies is also close by and has pretty good seafood. Check out their webpages.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Galveston is one of the best ports to leave from specifically because there is so much to do right off the ship. Fisherman’s wharf is our favorite and it’s right at one of the parking lots just a couple hundred yards if that from the ship. The shrimp kisses are amazing and there’s a nice little patio to watch for dolphins 

• Like 2

Thank you all SO MUCH!  I can't believe I forgot to check back for replies!  You have me all very excited... Had no idea we could leave our bags with the porter's before our 130-2pm check in.... Or that there was "the cruise stop" at the strand!  I'm so happy I asked 🙂