Report on Fairbanks/Princess Riverfront Lodge

georgiacat

We have returned from our June, 2022 Princess cruisetour that started in Fairbanks and finished in Vancouver.  Just some information about Fairbanks and other general stuff.

We had a wonderful time.  It was exhausting.  MOSQUITOES are in full bloom.  Even the natives say they are having a bumper crop this year for the tourists, not a problem on ship, just inland.

At least half of the planes and buses were coughing heads off.  We kept masks on all the time and practiced safe health measures. 

Flying - all planes were full (and offering to buy seats).  Delta is using smaller planes.  We had to wait for pilots and staff to come in from other places sometimes.  They were severely limiting carry on size and number of luggage.Options from Vancouver to Seattle (that I did not know about):  Princess offers bus transfers from ship to Seattle airport.  Seattle train goes frequently between Vancouver and Seattle airport (presumably).  While waiting for our first flight from Vancouver, I watched at least 3 of the Seattle decorated trains fly by the window.  What a way to advertise.

Fairbanks:  Not many stores are open on Sundays.  Lots of construction downtown.  Great place to eat:  The Crepery.  Hubby had the Bavarian and I had the crab, both delicious, $13 each, large.  They were very busy.

Fairbanks Princess Lodge:  I think we were the first people of the season there.  Staff were very friendly and welcoming.  Room 261 was very good.  Use credit card to pay for things (cashless place). 

Dining room breakfast buffet - very good, $20.95 pp. 

Dinner buffet - not so go, ran out of food, tasteless, slow service, $34.95 pp

Grill - limited choice of about 4 sandwiches - good food, slow service, about $15-20 per sandwich with chips.

Gift shop - coffee and snacks (did not try)

Shuttle service:  Call for shuttle, about $5 pp; usually full.  Got phone number from front desk.  No city bus service on weekends.  A tour guide told us that the city bus route is complicated, the bus does not go directly from Lodge to downtown, must make changes.

Gold Dredge tour and Paddle Boat tours both very nice.

2 hours ago, georgiacat said:

Options from Vancouver to Seattle (that I did not know about):  Princess offers bus transfers from ship to Seattle airport.  Seattle train goes frequently between Vancouver and Seattle airport (presumably).  While waiting for our first flight from Vancouver, I watched at least 3 of the Seattle decorated trains fly by the window.  What a way to advertise.

Nice report!  I am curious about the decorated Seattle trains. The Amtrak trains haven't been operating between Vancouver and Seattle for over 2 years now but plan to start up again in September. Wonder if they are just getting an early start on advertising.

6 hours ago, georgiacat said:

.......Options from Vancouver to Seattle (that I did not know about):  Princess offers bus transfers from ship to Seattle airport.  Seattle train goes frequently between Vancouver and Seattle airport (presumably).  While waiting for our first flight from Vancouver, I watched at least 3 of the Seattle decorated trains fly by the window.  What a way to advertise.

Gold Dredge tour and Paddle Boat tours both very nice.

I also am curious about the decorated rail cars.  I assume they were Vancouver light rail cars?  The last time we took Amtrak it didn't run between SEATAC and the Vancouver airport.  Did I miss some expansion of the Amtrak routing?

And Gold Dredge Number 8 and the Riverboat Discovery are owned by the same local Fairbanks family.  The Riverboat Discovery started operation with a very small paddlewheel in the 1950s.

We stayed there two weeks ago. Great lodgings, ate at the Pike’s Landing restaurant which was slammed on Father’s Day. Loved the Gold Dredge 8 and panning for gold! Walked around the Alaskan pipeline and loved the Discovery paddle boat. Bush airplane takeoff, huskies demonstration, and native village. Awesome day!

I do not know who is running the train system that I saw.  I was sitting in the waiting area for my Seattle flight from Vancouver.  I saw through the window passenger trains, seats with large windows, with Seattle Seahawks colors and markings go by at least 3 times.  The trains were very short, maybe engine and 2 cars.  They were traveling at high rate of speed, and it was hard to tell if people were in them.  They were definitely not freight trains.

They would appear to be a commuter system, but I do not know anything else about them.  Looked nice.