First Cruise

stewart1905

Evening all.

My wife and I are embarking on our first (hopefully of many) cruise on July 30th aboard the Marella Discovery 2.

Is there any tips/tricks we should be aware of?

Also, we’re wanting to try some legitimate A5 Wagyu beef on our journey (Barcelona, Saint-Raphael, Livorno, Rome & Ajaccio). I don’t suppose anyone can recommend any restaurants in any of these locations for us please as we’re struggling to find one.

Thanks for your time,

Stewart

10 minutes ago, Markanddonna said:

Might I recommend you do three things. Find your sailing's roll call, check out the ports of call boards for youe ports, and go to the library and check out Rick Steves's boomse, esp Mediterranean cruise ports.

Hi Mark.

I have to apologise, what do you mean by the sailing’s roll call and the ports of call boards for our ports? So sorry.

Will check out Rick Steve’s boomse now.

Stewart

23 minutes ago, stewart1905 said:

Hi Mark.

I have to apologise, what do you mean by the sailing’s roll call and the ports of call boards for our ports? So sorry.

Stewart

Welcome to the Cruise Critic forums [a moderator will likely be along with pointers to more forum resources, including the 'help with the forums' forum]

Each cruise line usually has two forums one for the line itself, and another 'Roll Call' forum with message threads dedicated to particular sailings, arranged by date. I did not see a specific roll call for 30 July, but there is one for 31 July Adriatic explorer and Aegean shores 31 July 2020 that does not seem to mention the ship. Roll calls allow folks on a particular sailing discuss shore excursions - and sometimes arrange their own.

The ports of call forum https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/472-mediterranean-eastern-western/ is where folks discuss [no surprise] the ports of call and what is available [or what to avoid] at each one.

1 hour ago, stewart1905 said:

Hi Mark.

Stewart

Stewart,

Spend a few minutes looking at what is available on the message boards on this site. I'm assuming you somehow found the Ask a Cruise Question board, so keep looking.  The Old Bear gave you a starter. The port of call boards have Europe and then are broken down into Spain, Italy, France, etc. I imagine you already have your tours booked but if not, Google Barcelona Day Tours. You can take the HOHO bus to see LaSagrada in Barcelona. We found a lovely outside restaurant in the Gothic area. Walk down Las Ramblas.  If you are a newbie to Europe, just take the ship's excursion to Rome. Barcelona is right by the port and is easy to get around.  Carry lots of water!

The Marella forum is here:  https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/388-marella-cruises-formerly-thomson/

The Marella Roll Call forum is here: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/660-marella-cruises-roll-calls-formerly-thomson/  But I don't see your sailing listed

The link to the Ports of call forums has been given above.

The recommendation about Rick Steves was for his guidebook on Mediterranean cruising. I highly recommend it for first time cruisers to the Med. It also has good info for newbie cruisers period.

Just my opinion, but when it comes to first cruises:

Rule #1: Get your butt on the boat. Read through all the paperwork, have whatever documentation you need, shots, Covid tests, etc. Know when and where you are leaving from, how you will get there…

Rule #2 : There is no rule #2

You’ll find about a million tips and “things you need to do” on the internet. It’s good info (usually) but (again, IMO) nothing that’s critical. 

Have a great trip!

I forgot to mention, but you can find all sorts of Rick Steves videos of where you are going on the internet. He has a great website: RickSteves.com.  I ask questions on their forum all the time, even when I am "on the ground" in Europe. Also look at Trip Advisor- they have city forum experts.