Wifi and hot spot

Mom&MeCruiseAL

1 hour ago, Roberto256 said:

Probably no.

Recent, high-end android phones are able to create a wifi hot spot from a wifi signal.

I don't think this is universal across every android phone.

Other than in this wierd pay by device situation, most people woulnd't need to create a hot spot from exisiting wifi.

Other users can simply connect to the wifi, with no need to go through your hotspot...

Thank you for mentioning that this WiFi hot spot feature may not actually work on all Android phones.

I am seeking to increase my understanding, because during my recent cruise I was unable to connect my fire stick to the TV.   I could not log in my fire stick to the internet.  It looked like it was being blocked and I could not get into a browser to enter the log in password.  I tried several things that were suggested to me. Including a hidden feature on the firestick, but I was not successful.

I am increasing my “bag of tricks”.  I am getting a mini travel router.  I was thinking about purchasing a used Android phone as well. (Just for this feature).  You comment about this feature perhaps not being on all Android phones, might eliminate that trick for me.  

Thanks, again.

5 hours ago, jagoffee said:

Thank you for mentioning that this WiFi hot spot feature may not actually work on all Android phones.

I am seeking to increase my understanding, because during my recent cruise I was unable to connect my fire stick to the TV.   I could not log in my fire stick to the internet.  It looked like it was being blocked and I could not get into a browser to enter the log in password.  I tried several things that were suggested to me. Including a hidden feature on the firestick, but I was not successful.

This is my current travel router:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N5RCZQH/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I am sure there are others that are just as good.    I had another previously that also included a battery so that it

a power bank as well.    I switched, as technically, you're not supposed to put a power bank in a checked bag on a flight.

1) Before you leave home, connect the travel router to your home wifi, and then connect the firestick to the travel router.

2) When you're in a hotel/ship you can open the travel router from a laptop, or a phone, and connect it to what ever network is in the area.

Hotel, ship, etc.  The login is page is whatever is normally display to connect to wifi.   Captive portal, password, etc.

Now, you're done.   Once you get the travel router connected, that's it.   Because you did step 1 at home, the firestick alredy knows how to connect to the travel router.  So, there is nothing else that you need to do for the fire stick.

You can also install a fire-tv app on your phone.    This works just like the firestick remote, but also gives you a keyboard for passwords.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.amazon.storm.lightning.client.aosp

The first two screen shots are the ones of interest, and show the phone being used as a firestick remote.

For extra credit, learn the mac address of your firestick, and then turn it off.   Use something like a linux laptop, or a phone with an app that allows you to change the device's MAC address.

Spoof the address of the firestick, and log in.

Now, turn off the laptop, and turn on the firestick.

The local servers recognize your firestick's MAC address, and notice that it is already logged in.

Most of the above, you can try at home, so you don't have to waste vacation time on it.

One final note:  if you happen to have some videos on a thumb drive, you can plug the thumb drive into the travel router, and watch

the video on the firestick --> TV.