Skagway-Local Tour Guides-Recommendations

kuddles14

I would also love some suggestions.  Our excursion in Skagway was cancelled by NCL yesterday with no explanation.  I am not interested in any of the remaining excursions offered by the ship. 

We are renting a car from Skagway Car rental and driving into Canada - to emerald lake and back, using Murray’s Guide as a resource.

we also have a long port day and are able to start off with a float trip in Dyea before getting our rental car.

If not renting a car, check Chilkoot Charters. They have a few options, including a trip into the Yukon to Emerald Lake, Carcross and more using small buses with less than 20 passengers.

• Like 2

We were on Viking Orion in may.  Our Chilkoot tours trip to the Yukon was the highlight of our trip!  I highly recommend them!  Ended up with only 4 people on our tour and we stopped at many sights and had a great time!

• Like 1

We went today! We also rented a car, from Affordable Car Rentals ($146ish for the car, that was left for us right at the pier). Ordered sandwiches through them, and picked them up at the cafe down road, in the provided cooler. And followed Murray's Guide (the free version).

We only had until 2:30 and we're with kids so we couldn't stop everywhere. But we went to Emerald Lake (our furthest point) and worked out way back. Picnicked in Carcross, ran up the dunes in the Carcross Desert, and rode with and played with the dogs at the Tutshi Sled Dogs Tours (not the Caribou one - this one I'm told is more low key than Caribou).  Stopped along the way to a few other overviews. You have to do ArriveCAN  before you go and bring passports. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, puppymama1 said:

We were on Viking Orion in may.  Our Chilkoot tours trip to the Yukon was the highlight of our trip!  I highly recommend them!  Ended up with only 4 people on our tour and we stopped at many sights and had a great time!

We’re you able to do the White Pass Summit Train? 

18 minutes ago, puppymama1 said:

We did the van ride, not the train, since we wanted to go to the Yukon.  But it was wonderful… the scenery was incredible, our guide was fantastic and we had a great day! 

B24F1685-C65D-458E-82C5-7718D9B7A861.jpeg

A946D7D1-646C-45E1-B0FD-4D2064D954F4.jpeg

How far out did you book with Chilkoot? We are looking for next August . 

About 3 months... We booked the May cruise in January, (after canceling the river cruise in Europe when the war broke out in Ukraine).  I waited and waited for Dyea Dave Tours to decide if they were going to offer their tour, but didn't want to wait too long, so we booked with Chilkoot.. Dyea Dave Tours decided not to offer the tour this year, and the Chilkoot tour was wonderful.. so I was glad we made that decision... 

I would book it now or at the latest by this fall.. August is a busier month than May is, and if you decide to cancel it they will refund it with a 5% fee, as long as you cancel 48 hours before... If the ship doesn't stop in the port, they will refund in full.

30 minutes ago, puppymama1 said:

About 3 months... We booked the May cruise in January, (after canceling the river cruise in Europe when the war broke out in Ukraine).  I waited and waited for Dyea Dave Tours to decide if they were going to offer their tour, but didn't want to wait too long, so we booked with Chilkoot.. Dyea Dave Tours decided not to offer the tour this year, and the Chilkoot tour was wonderful.. so I was glad we made that decision... 

I would book it now or at the latest by this fall.. August is a busier month than May is, and if you decide to cancel it they will refund it with a 5% fee, as long as you cancel 48 hours before... If the ship doesn't stop in the port, they will refund in full.

Thank you ! 

33 minutes ago, puppymama1 said:

What exactly was your tours name ? How long was the tour ? 

Another vote for Chilkoot tours. We booked 6 months before. Our bus left the dock shortly after 9:00 and dropped us downtown around 3:00 ish. Great views all the way up to Emerald Lake and many wildlife sightings. Plus lunch provided at Caracross. I highly recommend Chilkoot tours and would go with them again.

DSCN0359.JPG

DSCN0365.JPG

DSCN0322.JPG

DSCN0340.JPG

I my opinion if it is for 2023 you may want to wait to see if WP&YR goes into Canada in 2023 before you book. 2022 was an odd year with them only going to summit. If they do go into Canada in 2023 then tours similar to years past will run and train to Frazier & bus back or reverse will be available. 

If it is for 2022 and told full and not available head straight to ship's tour desk and inquire and if that fails head to the train reps at the pier or the train station. Been told 10% of tickets are held for walk ups. With some ships rerouting or having to tender some folks may have to cancel which would open some train tickets. 

sightcrr

@kuddles14, we just came back from 19 day cruisetour.  Since we were in Skagway twice, did the RT train ride to summit, bus drive through Carcross to Yukon, and the Glacier Point Wilsness Safari by Alaska Excursions.

Train ride was beautiful,

20220618_143206.thumb.jpg.40eb7c1192330691320052d9b78a7417.jpg

Emerland lake near Carcross was stunning,20220619_134826.thumb.jpg.df668888cafaa07e5a4b505a2ec5b667.jpg

Glacier Point Wildness Safari had scenery, jet boating, canoeing, wildlife (could have walked to glacier if not too high water level), and lots of fun,

20220629_120757.thumb.jpg.9b3daac6fbfd82f296bfee6ded029d30.jpg

VideoCapture_20220630-160355.thumb.jpg.738c0bbce2ae431d9f77bac3ac811aac.jpg

If prefer scenery, and if train ride reopens to Carcross next year, would recommend to do train up/bus down.

If prefer actions in addition to scenery, would recommend the 6 -6.5 hr Glacier Point Wildness Safari.  We arrived port at 7 am, joined the 7:30 am tour.  Back to port around 2 pm.

More pictures in my linked report below.

• Like 1

On 7/8/2022 at 3:55 PM, shuyak said:

@kuddles14, we just came back from 19 day cruisetour.  Since we were in Skagway twice, did the RT train ride to summit, bus drive through Carcross to Yukon, and the Glacier Point Wilsness Safari by Alaska Excursions.

Train ride was beautiful,

20220618_143206.thumb.jpg.40eb7c1192330691320052d9b78a7417.jpg

Emerland lake near Carcross was stunning,20220619_134826.thumb.jpg.df668888cafaa07e5a4b505a2ec5b667.jpg

Glacier Point Wildness Safari had scenery, jet boating, canoeing, wildlife (could have walked to glacier if not too high water level), and lots of fun,

20220629_120757.thumb.jpg.9b3daac6fbfd82f296bfee6ded029d30.jpg

VideoCapture_20220630-160355.thumb.jpg.738c0bbce2ae431d9f77bac3ac811aac.jpg

If prefer scenery, and if train ride reopens to Carcross next year, would recommend to do train up/bus down.

If prefer actions in addition to scenery, would recommend the 6 -6.5 hr Glacier Point Wildness Safari.  We arrived port at 7 am, joined the 7:30 am tour.  Back to port around 2 pm.

More pictures in my linked report below.

Who did you book with ? We are going on Royal