Glaicer Wind Icy Strait Point Whale and Wildlife tour

cc-riderslc

Just a week ago we had the pleasure of taking a private tour at Icy Strait Point put on by Glacier Wind Charters.  It was a most excellent adventure.  Pick up from the tour pickup area was simple.  We drove for 10 minutes, right onto the dock to board the boat which by this time was just steps away.  Almost brand new.  Casey is the captain.  Young but very knowledgeable with an advanced degree in fisheries.  Inside cabin will keep you warm and has snacks, hot chocolate and water.  Outside you can walk around the entire perimeter of the boat to get any angle you want for pictures.  We saw whales up close.  Also sea lions showing off near the whales and a sea otter eating a star fish while holding it on his belly.  We also saw porpoises, seals and harbor seals.  On land we could see a moose with a calf and on another insland we saw 2 bears.  Quite and exciting trip and I highly recommend them.  You will see the difference when you are on the water.  The cruise line tour is on a double decker boat loaded with people and even getting to the rail was hard, getting a picture from the rail almost impossible.  

• Like 2

So nice to read this- we will be taking this excursion with them in a few short weeks. Sounds like you have good weather too. Finally beginning to get excited about our trip although I will not allow myself to get fully excited until we get the CoVid test over with. Not that we have any reason to worry but still- we worry. 

I highly recommend them as well. We went out with them in 2018 and it was awesome. We were scheduled to go out tomorrow on our NCL Sun cruise but the cruise was canceled due to the iceberg. We rebooked on the NCL Spirit later in the month and Glacier Winds was very helpful in moving our tour over to the new cruise with the super short notice. They are fabulous.

Thank you for the review! I booked this last September for our upcoming cruise in a few weeks…we’ll be doing this on July 26th. I’d read previous reviews, and it looked like the best way to see wildlife, without being crammed onto a boat with others.

So excited! But as others have said, I’m still crossing my fingers that:

1. Our flights to Alaska actually go through without delays or cancellations

2. We pass the COVID test. (We’ve gone 2.5 years without getting COVID, but of course with my luck, our luck will run out!!!)

I forgot to add there are only 13 guests on the boat. You will have to great time. By the way Casey said overcast, cooler weather is the best days to go so don't be discouraged if it isn't a bright sunny day. Something about the spout staying visable for a longer time. Spouts are usually what you spot first. 

20 hours ago, cc-riderslc said:

I forgot to add there are only 13 guests on the boat. You will have to great time. By the way Casey said overcast, cooler weather is the best days to go so don't be discouraged if it isn't a bright sunny day. Something about the spout staying visable for a longer time. Spouts are usually what you spot first. 

That's good to know about the weather! We booked in January for our September trip (our boat only has 6 people) and I know September weather is most likely more rain. Can't wait to go! Glacier Winds is one of two excursions that I have not changed. So much to do and not enough time and those decisions are tough - but this one wasn't. 

Glacier Wind is hands down the best whale watching I've done in Alaska. Teresa is so personable I feel like I have a new friend. She's been so accommodating and actually emailed me last week asking me if we wanted to join the morning tour instead of our reserved afternoon tour in August. Of course I said yes! I can't wait to see what the whales will do that day.

Alaska 2018 1282.JPG

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...