Best way to get to West Bay to maximize time there!

klpalp

We will be cruising in on a Carnival ship next summer and want to spend as much time at West Bay as we can.  I was planning on getting the Infinity Bay day passes, and I know they can provide transportation, but I wasn’t sure if we would have to wait for a full van etc.  We are big snorkelers(and freediving), and wanted to have a full day there and was wondering if a private driver would allow us more time!!  We have 5 in our party, and I’m not worried about cost so much.  Thanks 🙂

Cheapest and most reliable is to use IB's transportation, for which you'll need to walk over the hill outside the shopping compound to catch.  Fastest but most expensive is to hire one of the taxis that can pick up inside the port.  Caveat is these taxis don't wait and may not come back for you when you are ready to leave.

"private drivers" are typically associated with independent companies providing tours to various island sights ( Rony's and Victor Bodden for example) so may or may not work exclusively for you at a reasonable rate.  But do contact several and see.  

Added: for these drivers you still have to walk over the hill to meet them, but they will drop you off inside the cruise port on return.

Edited by crewsweeper

22 hours ago, crewsweeper said:

Cheapest and most reliable is to use IB's transportation, for which you'll need to walk over the hill outside the shopping compound to catch.  Fastest but most expensive is to hire one of the taxis that can pick up inside the port.  Caveat is these taxis don't wait and may not come back for you when you are ready to leave.

"private drivers" are typically associated with independent companies providing tours to various island sights ( Rony's and Victor Bodden for example) so may or may not work exclusively for you at a reasonable rate.  But do contact several and see.  

Added: for these drivers you still have to walk over the hill to meet them, but they will drop you off inside the cruise port on return.

What is IB's transportation?

16 hours ago, carbon said:

Do they have a booth over the hill?

If you are using Infinity Bay as the source for your pass, ask them.  If you are using another vendor, like Discover Roatan or Viator, they will tell you where to meet and who to look for.  But unless things have changed "over the hill is just a big parking lot, no booths.

44 minutes ago, carbon said:

RCCL

In that case you will dock at Coxen Hole, not Mahogany Bay and “over the hill” comments won’t apply to you.

You would most likely have to meet transport outside  the gates although there are some booths at the port. You would need to check arrangements directly with whatever tour operator you choose.

I booked through Discover Roatan, was on RCCL, had to wait for two other couples to get off the ship and find the driver before we could leave. Great excursion, waited like 40-50 min for the other couples to find our driver which lessened our beach/snorkeling time. If I did it again, I wouldn’t do the AI, but PAYG. Drinks were poorly made and the buffet wasn’t that great. Snorkeling was awesome though!

2 hours ago, Yakker1749 said:

I booked through Discover Roatan, was on RCCL, had to wait for two other couples to get off the ship and find the driver before we could leave. Great excursion, waited like 40-50 min for the other couples to find our driver which lessened our beach/snorkeling time. If I did it again, I wouldn’t do the AI, but PAYG. Drinks were poorly made and the buffet wasn’t that great. Snorkeling was awesome though!

Did you have a buffet at Infinity Bay? They used to have a really good restaurant. Was tgat not available or could you have chosen from a menu if you were PAYG.

• 1 month later...
On 7/16/2022 at 12:24 AM, c-leg5 said:

Did you have a buffet at Infinity Bay? They used to have a really good restaurant. Was tgat not available or could you have chosen from a menu if you were PAYG.

We just return from a trip to Roatan.  We ate at La Palapa on the beach at Infinity.  They have lots of great options - we really enjoyed everything we ordered.  My husband really liked the whole grilled fish.  Usually, it was caught within hours of him eating it.  The pasta with seafood is also really yummy!

I'd book transportation with Rony.  He is very reliable and will be waiting for you.  If you book his freestyle tour, you get a private driver - no waiting for anyone else.  You will also be able to stop along the way for photos if you like.  There is a nice overlook at the top of the hill before you get to West Bay.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...