LIVE SBS Suite Life Review: Sky 7/11/22 & Breakaway 7/17/22

HBCcruiser

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"Thanks for generously sharing your time at sea with everyone at Cruise Critic!"

HBCcruiser was awarded the badge '"Live from...."'

This will be our first NCL cruise(s) since Covid shut it all down and cancelled our POA cruise back in 2020. It is not our first cruise since COVID, though. Last year we grew weary of the CDC “rules”, so we booked one of the RCI cruises out of the Bahamas. Since then, we have cruised several times out of LA on various cruise lines. Cruising with low passenger counts was a once-in-a-lifetime dream! On one cruise we had only 600 passengers onboard a ship that holds 3000! I know that is over now, so it will be interesting to experience the “new normal” cruise experience post-Covid.

I have a ton of FCCs that we must use, so my DD’s and I decided to use some of them on side-by-side cruises out of Miami. Our first cruise is on the Sky. We were lucky to book one of the Owner Suites on Deck 8. Our itinerary;1633210590_ScreenShot2022-07-05at12_31_05PM.thumb.png.212cee13666e566a79e9010688a0bc4b.png

Our second cruise will be on the Breakaway in a Haven 2bd Family Suite. We sailed the Breakaway years ago and really enjoyed it. The original itinerary for this cruise was great. Now, not so much. Oh well, we will make the best of it though. Itinerary;705197960_ScreenShot2022-07-05at12_28_29PM.thumb.jpeg.86a6f2c5c323826ab97d1d6f22d77f0b.jpeg 

We were able to purchase Vibe passes through NCL pre-cruise. This is a great new change! IK, IK – why do we need Vibe passes if we are in the Haven? Well, because the Haven is sold out for our cruise AND because there is a high probability that there will be a lot of kids onboard, including in the Haven. The last time we sailed in the Haven over summer vacation we found that finding lounge chairs together and hot tub space was tough. In the Vibe it was never an issue. I will post how things are once we are onboard. We also have more sea days on this cruise than we anticipated, so…🥂

My youngest DD and I will fly United out of LAX at 5:30 a.m. on Saturday, a full 2 days prior to embarkation (early flight, I know, but I hope to avoid the flight cancellation drama). We have a layover in Denver, which is luckily a United hub.  Then we have a direct flight from Denver to Miami. Fingers crossed that we avoid a cancellation. My other DD is flying direct to Miami from Boston on American Airlines. All flights are scheduled to get to Miami between 3:30 p.m. and 4:30 p.m. on Saturday. The first cruise leaves on Monday, so that gives us a buffer in case our flights go awry. 

I chose the Intercontinental as our pre-Sky cruise hotel because it is close to the port. If we fly in on time, and the weather is nice, we plan on having a relaxing beach day on Sunday before the cruise. Oh, and I have packed umpteen-thousand (ok more like 😎 Inspire Covid tests that we must take 2-days before each cruise. I scheduled Saturday evening tests for the Sky cruise, and Friday afternoon (after we disembark) for the Breakaway Cruise which leaves on Sunday. There are 3 of us so that allows 2 extra tests just in case. I also mailed my DD in Boston a test just in case her flight is delayed. Yes, I am an over-planner, but Murphy’s Law tends to love me.  All of us are taking a COVID home test today just in case. Fingers crossed we are all test negative, or this will be the shortest LIVE review EVER! 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, PATRLR said:

Would love to hear how the Intercontinental is these days, contemplating it for our November cruise.

I’ll get pics and info for you. We should be there tomorrow late afternoon if all “flies” well.🙏

• Like 1

The IC is my favorite hotel in Miami - but I haven’t been there since 2019 😢

I’ve been in the deck 8 Owner Suite 4 times….best suite on the ship! We really didn’t use the hot tub…but the deck is BIG with enough room for the hot tub, table with 4 chairs, two loungers - with still room to dance!

Have some great cruises!!

• Thanks 1

We all tested negative on our pre-Covid tests! Tomorrow when we get to the hotel we will take the authentic one. 🙏🙏🤞🤞 our flight leaves at 5:30 a.m. Waaay to early to be awake for a Covid test. 

ABA79338-F091-47F6-9215-B60F64873780.jpeg

• Like 4

We stayed at the InterContinental this past February and were very happy with our choice.   However, we were a little disappointed the outside pool restaurant was closed during our stay.  We would stay there again for the right price.

14 hours ago, HBCcruiser said:

This will be our first NCL cruise(s) since Covid shut it all down and cancelled our POA cruise back in 2020. It is not our first cruise since COVID, though. Last year we grew weary of the CDC “rules”, so we booked one of the RCI cruises out of the Bahamas. Since then, we have cruised several times out of LA on various cruise lines. Cruising with low passenger counts was a once-in-a-lifetime dream! On one cruise we had only 600 passengers onboard a ship that holds 3000! I know that is over now, so it will be interesting to experience the “new normal” cruise experience post-Covid.

I have a ton of FCCs that we must use, so my DD’s and I decided to use some of them on side-by-side cruises out of Miami. Our first cruise is on the Sky. We were lucky to book one of the Owner Suites on Deck 8. Our itinerary;1633210590_ScreenShot2022-07-05at12_31_05PM.thumb.png.212cee13666e566a79e9010688a0bc4b.png

Our second cruise will be on the Breakaway in a Haven 2bd Family Suite. We sailed the Breakaway years ago and really enjoyed it. The original itinerary for this cruise was great. Now, not so much. Oh well, we will make the best of it though. Itinerary;705197960_ScreenShot2022-07-05at12_28_29PM.thumb.jpeg.86a6f2c5c323826ab97d1d6f22d77f0b.jpeg 

We were able to purchase Vibe passes through NCL pre-cruise. This is a great new change! IK, IK – why do we need Vibe passes if we are in the Haven? Well, because the Haven is sold out for our cruise AND because there is a high probability that there will be a lot of kids onboard, including in the Haven. The last time we sailed in the Haven over summer vacation we found that finding lounge chairs together and hot tub space was tough. In the Vibe it was never an issue. I will post how things are once we are onboard. We also have more sea days on this cruise than we anticipated, so…🥂

My youngest DD and I will fly United out of LAX at 5:30 a.m. on Saturday, a full 2 days prior to embarkation (early flight, I know, but I hope to avoid the flight cancellation drama). We have a layover in Denver, which is luckily a United hub.  Then we have a direct flight from Denver to Miami. Fingers crossed that we avoid a cancellation. My other DD is flying direct to Miami from Boston on American Airlines. All flights are scheduled to get to Miami between 3:30 p.m. and 4:30 p.m. on Saturday. The first cruise leaves on Monday, so that gives us a buffer in case our flights go awry. 

I chose the Intercontinental as our pre-Sky cruise hotel because it is close to the port. If we fly in on time, and the weather is nice, we plan on having a relaxing beach day on Sunday before the cruise. Oh, and I have packed umpteen-thousand (ok more like 😎 Inspire Covid tests that we must take 2-days before each cruise. I scheduled Saturday evening tests for the Sky cruise, and Friday afternoon (after we disembark) for the Breakaway Cruise which leaves on Sunday. There are 3 of us so that allows 2 extra tests just in case. I also mailed my DD in Boston a test just in case her flight is delayed. Yes, I am an over-planner, but Murphy’s Law tends to love me.  All of us are taking a COVID home test today just in case. Fingers crossed we are all test negative, or this will be the shortest LIVE review EVER! 

Have two wonderful sailings with your daughters and looking forward to reading about your trip.   And I completely understand why you purchased Vibe passes even though you are in the Haven.

• Thanks 1

Made it to Denver but the plane we were supposed to get on for Miami was  put out of service. We were told we should have the new plane here in 20 minutes. Luckily Denver is a United hub and there are a few flights after this to Miami. 

• Like 1

Onboard!! Miami here we come!! We are delayed about 2 hours now. My other DD is meeting us at the airport. She’s on her flight and gets in before us but will need to hike it over to our terminal. TTFN.;8320C717-515E-4CF8-9A5C-591CE8F45C55.thumb.jpeg.7c74229d6f44aebcd8d04c4cff89ad13.jpeg

My luggage made it here too!!;

F6D68616-502B-46A0-8FC4-4E1EA6B36876.jpeg

• Like 5