SEATTLE's King Street Station to a) Pike Place Market & b) to Smith Cove Cruise Terminal, Pier 91 - Is it an easy walk?

For those who live in the area or who are familiar with downtown Seattle:

1) From King Street Station to Pike Place Market area is it an easy/safe walk around 9-10pm? 

2) From Pike Place Market to Pier 91 it seems to be an easy 1 mile walk along Alaskan Way. Am I correct?

Just me and myself, so-so able-bodied 59-year young guy with only 1 wheeled carry-on bag and plenty of time on my hands in Seattle.

Downtown Seattle seems like a city conducive to walking but not quite sure about hills, ala San Francisco that may hamper my ability to get around.

Flat terrain & downhill, I am all good.....uphill, well............! lol

Thanks for any replies from people with first-hand knowledge.

You aren't going to walk from Pike Place to Pier 91. It is not a convenient walk. The other walks are fairly easy. We have over 10 years on you, and have walked a fair amount of downtown. Yes, there is definitely hills, but they aren't insurmountable in any way.

• Like 1

There are homeless services in the area near King St Station. I wouldn’t feel unsafe as a guy walking through there to the market but it can be a bit unsavory. If you’re going to explore the market though, it closes at 6pm.

Pier 91 is about 3 miles from the market. I walk along the same path daily and there are always a few cruise folks that hoof it from downtown to the ship although not many. It’s actually a flat walk with nice views along Elliott Bay.

• Like 1

Thank you much guys for your answers, I appreciate the courtesy. 3 miles as long as it is flat terrain I am pretty sure I can handle that.

Thanks again guys, I got the answers I was after.

Here's a map showing a walking route - https://goo.gl/maps/17VPPqVUq8ZngWNH6

Note this uses the elevator in the Pike Place Market parking garage to get down the bluff from the main market to the waterfront, after which it's level going all the way to the cruise terminal.  Here you can see (from below) the skybridge from the main market arcade over to the top of the garage elevator.  https://goo.gl/maps/s9JVFmkR7X5eSs569

• Like 1

yes its flat but to access the dock it up on a bridge then a staircase down to the dock.  To me it would be more hassle than its worth.  I'm also curious what would you be doing at the mkt-

Don't be confused as there is a paved path along the water from pier 69 to 91.  That is what some are referring to vs walking along the roadway on 15th ave which to me wouldn't be worth it.  If you follow the path it would be more doable though I don't know about entrance to get to the dock from the water side.

• Like 1

Even though it's further, highly recommend walking the pedestrian path along the water over going on Western Ave. It's a beautiful path, and you'll pass by the outdoor sculpture garden and be walking on the waterfront. It gets a bit industrial by the time you get to Pier 91 but it's not unsafe. 

King Street to Pike Place for a guy at that hour will be fine, but keep aware of your surroundings. I'd suggest to go on 5th Ave rather than 3rd at that hour and avoid Pioneer Square. However, if there's a baseball game or concert in one of the stadiums, the area is very lively and safe. 

Edited by psuboater
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The map Gardyloo provided shows the path along the Elliott Bay Trail and is the best way to get there. It also avoids the Magnolia Bridge so there are no stairs whatsoever. You’ll access the pier by going through Gate A just prior to going under the bridge, it’s well marked. There are public restrooms just past the grain terminal, about ¾ mile from Pier 91 at the fishing dock, if needed.

Keep an eye out for Bald Eagles and Osprey that fish along the waterfront as well as Peregrine Falcons that have been plucking off pigeons and gulls at the grain terminal. Great Blue Herons often fish along the waterway just before entering the gate at the pier…..if you’re into that kind of thing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Glaciers said:

................Keep an eye out for Bald Eagles and Osprey that fish along the waterfront as well as Peregrine Falcons that have been plucking off pigeons and gulls at the grain terminal. Great Blue Herons often fish along the waterway just before entering the gate at the pier…..if you’re into that kind of thing.

That sounds so wonderful !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the additional info.

6 hours ago, psuboater said:

...............King Street to Pike Place for a guy at that hour will be fine, but keep aware of your surroundings. I'd suggest to go on 5th Ave rather than 3rd at that hour and avoid Pioneer Square. However, if there's a baseball game or concert in one of the stadiums, the area is very lively and safe. 

Thank you PSUBoater.

agree with the advise but from king St station to mkt its perfectly fine to walk up 1st ave.  I drove it several times in recent weeks and its in fine shape.  5th ave is out of the way and not as interesting a walk plus the mkt is at 1st so the detour puts it out of the way.