Bed options for toddler in diaper at night

Jenig0013

Sorry for the gross question but 3yo still wears a diaper at night - usually we have had him sleep in a hiccapop inflatable bed when traveling but we’re considering having him in the twin bed for the cruise (2 room cabin). But I’d want to bring a water proof mattress pad just in case of an accident. Tho I have no idea what I’d do in case of an accident since we don’t have access to laundry on rccl. Would you guys just keep him in the inflatable mattress on the floor?

I'd use the waterproof matt pad in a combination with a diaper at night. Unless you WANT to bring an inflatable mattress.

DS started cruising when he was 3 - we didn't even bother with the pad. At 3 he was still wearing a diaper at night - size 6 in Luvs.

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy

We did overnight pull-ups and brought along a couple goodnites disposable mattress pads for added peace of mind. We didn’t have any accidents fortunately but it would have been much easier to pull the disposable pad then have a mess for the steward.

• Like 2

On 7/10/2022 at 2:52 PM, Jenig0013 said:

Sorry for the gross question but 3yo still wears a diaper at night - usually we have had him sleep in a hiccapop inflatable bed when traveling but we’re considering having him in the twin bed for the cruise (2 room cabin). But I’d want to bring a water proof mattress pad just in case of an accident. Tho I have no idea what I’d do in case of an accident since we don’t have access to laundry on rccl. Would you guys just keep him in the inflatable mattress on the floor?

I’m confused as to what you mean about an accident and laundry.  Are you worried about changing the bed during the night?  Ask the steward for extra sheets…just in case.  If it’s clothing, you can send it out to the laundry, or wash in the sink.  EM

• Like 1

Disposable mattress pads.  I put them under the sheet (using two to cover a larger area if I'm being super careful) and then it's easy to just replace the sheet if there's an accident, but at least the mattress doesn't get wet/dirty.  

Disposable pads, found with the adult incontinence supplies at any drug store.  And a bag of oxyclean or shout sprayer for any accidents on clothes.   We also brought a heavy duty trash bag for dirty clothes, kept the smelly things separate.  

• 5 weeks later...

Instead of buying a washable mattress pad, you can buy a box of "chucks" or disposable waterproof bed liners like @Exit6cruisers suggests. It's basically a waterproof backing, with an absorbent middle layer and soft top layer similar to a panty liner, but they are about 24x36". You can just put one on top of the fitted sheet and the kiddo can sleep over it. They use them all the time at hospitals. They are inexpensive, fold flat and easy to pack. If your kiddo moves around a lot at night, you could put it under the sheet. I would use that in addition to the pull-up/diaper you normally use.

Edited by TwinMamainMN
addition
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 8/18/2022 at 8:42 AM, TwinMamainMN said:

Instead of buying a washable mattress pad, you can buy a box of "chucks" or disposable waterproof bed liners like @Exit6cruisers suggests. It's basically a waterproof backing, with an absorbent middle layer and soft top layer similar to a panty liner, but they are about 24x36". You can just put one on top of the fitted sheet and the kiddo can sleep over it. They use them all the time at hospitals. They are inexpensive, fold flat and easy to pack. If your kiddo moves around a lot at night, you could put it under the sheet. I would use that in addition to the pull-up/diaper you normally use.

This was going to be my suggestion also. They hold a LOT of fluid. I work at a hospital and use them frequently. But I also wouldn’t hesitate to ask the steward for a change of sheets to have just in case of an issue over night. I’m sure they would have no problem providing that. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 7/12/2022 at 5:54 AM, Essiesmom said:

I’m confused as to what you mean about an accident and laundry.  Are you worried about changing the bed during the night?  Ask the steward for extra sheets…just in case.  If it’s clothing, you can send it out to the laundry, or wash in the sink.  EM

Maybe OP means leaking through the sheet where it's soaking the couch or the mattress. If you don't have a heavy wetter I wouldn't even bring a protector. My daughter is 2 we're just bringing Huggies overnights as she's not a heavy wetter. Usually at most her PJs are wet but sheets aren't really. My son was the same and we never brought a mattress protector either, again just Huggies overnights diapers. I definitely don't brng special bed contraptions, hard pass. At most Id bring an inflatable bed rail. We've been considering the bed rail but I really think our almost 3 y/o will be ok without a bed rail, tbh, so I think we're even gonna pass on that. Bed rail is for keeping a kid in a bed has nothing to do with wetting bed, just saying that's the only special contraption I'd bring. I wouldn't even bring an inflatable tub for bathing but to each their own.

Edited by oyme
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

@oyme yes just worried about getting mattress wet - turned out to not be an issue as housekeeping put two mattress pads on the bed. We didn’t do a bed rail, he fell out once but it wasn’t a huge deal, hard to get hurt from that height. And he’s been showering since he was a newborn so I’m not dragging a baby tub (highly recommend showering infants asap, they do much better with water in the face).

Edited by Jenig0013