Hotel Check in time on Extensions in Rome

newvikingcruiser

So much of being able to check in early depends on whether the rooms are ready.  In my experience, we are somewhere around 50% of the time.  

Smartest thing I did when we flew to AMS in April was to schedule a tour that afternoon.  We were able to drop our luggage, freshen up and go to Keukenof.  By the time we got back, our room was ready.  I’ll be keeping this in mind the next flight overseas.  That was probably my easiest recovery from jet lag I have had.

Our post-cruise extension in Barcelona was a disaster in terms of hotel check-in.  I don't know if they for whatever reason weren't aware that several hundred Viking guests were arriving that day or what, but we stood in line for over 2 hours to check in (some guy alone - not sure if he was even with Viking or not - took over 1/2 hour at the desk). Only TWO desk clerks. Those that got in line first were lucky of course - had plenty of time to check in and then explore the city. THEN, after all that time, went out and got a bit of lunch, came back and discovered that we were AGAIN in an equally long line (another close to 2 hours) just to get the room key. AND...someone must have grabbed our one suitcase. It wasn't in the terminal when we disembarked. Luckily it went over to the hotel on a different bus, but it was a bit of a snafu for awhile till it was discovered. There was poor communication between the terminal and Viking agents at the hotel. We were assured they'd be notified that it was missing, and yet when we got to the hotel and spoke to them, they (and the hotel) hadn't even been contacted. The rest of the post-extension was fantastic, but what a crazy start. People were getting annoyed spending most of the day in line instead of getting to do something more interesting. 

Edited by AnyWayIsGood