Help Gibraltar Visa !

CharlotteCruise89

Hello All -

I am a US Citizen and my husband has a Columbian passport (not a citizen or resident of the US). I know that he needs a visa for Gibraltar normally if arriving by air. I was able to research some old forums where it was stated that cruise ship passengers were exempt from needing visas. I have looked all over with no luck. Can anyone please help me and point me to something in writing that says cruise ship passengers are exempt? Thank you all in advance ! 

22 minutes ago, CharlotteCruise89 said:

Hello All -

I am a US Citizen and my husband has a Columbian passport (not a citizen or resident of the US). I know that he needs a visa for Gibraltar normally if arriving by air. I was able to research some old forums where it was stated that cruise ship passengers were exempt from needing visas. I have looked all over with no luck. Can anyone please help me and point me to something in writing that says cruise ship passengers are exempt? Thank you all in advance ! 

I would suggest you contact a UK consulate office, you may be able to do so online.   While it may

very well be true US citizens on a cruise do not need visa?    I have been to Gilbrater many times by ship without a visa.  Since your husband is not a US Citizen that would not apply to him.  Best way to check it out is to contact UK consulate in USA.  Tell the consulate your husband is a Columbian citizen.  Google for an email address for UK consultate.   Cruise lines say passengers are responsible for having all necessary documents to board.  I hope this suggestion helps you.  If you get a response from the UK consulate online, you can copy it and take with you to the port, if he does not need visa.  Otherwise take action to get a visa.  A travel agent may be able to help you on getting the visa.  

Visa IS required of Colombian citizens.

Here is a link to the official website, choose Colombia as the county from

the drop-down menu.

http://www.gibraltarborder.gi/visa

You can also email them at:

csro@gibraltar.gov.gi and/or visas.csro@gibraltar.gov.gi.

They are both official government websites.

Edited by 1912
  • Like 1

From what I read persons with a Colombia passport require a visa to visit. The only way to be certain is to contact the British Embassy or Consulate in the country where he resides. Any information provided here can not be official and I would not rely on it. You can find web sites for the British Embassy on line.

There is no procedure for visas to be checked when leaving the ship at Gibraltar. It’s basically just walk off and away you go. When walking back into the port area we were asked to show our medallions to prove we were passengers but that was it.