Oahu North Shore food trucks

dogdoc2002

I've been reading up on the shrimp trucks on the north shore of Oahu and really want to try one (or more) out when we're there this fall. Are there any other food trucks other than the shrimp trucks? My wife has a shellfish intolerance and can't have any/have to avoid cross contaimination.

Thanks!

15 hours ago, Bocadude85 said:

Plenty of other food trucks serving a wide range of items in Kahuku, behind Giovanni’s shrimp truck there is a great fried chicken sandwich truck called eighty chicken sandwiches.

Thanks! I appreciate the info. 

I think the shrimp trucks are the biggest tourist trap on Oahu. Giovanni's, for example, uses frozen shrimp; at least Fumi's uses shrimp from their own ponds. But with many of them you can wait an hour, even two, for okay garlic shrimp and pay through the nose for it.

There are great Mom & Pop stands all over the North and Windward Shores.

On 7/19/2022 at 7:16 PM, lovecruzin said:

Closer to Honolulu, there are several food trucks at the Waikele shopping center.  Which is also convenient if you are driving to the North Shore.

Leonards Malasadas are my favorite 

Thanks. Are the trucks in the shopping center parking lot?

If you want to eat like a local, the food trucks mostly are not it. The "Plate Lunch" is a uniquely Hawaiian thing, it is  the Hawaiian equivalent of Street Food. Look at places like Helena's Hawaiian Food, Haili's Hawaiian Food, Young's Fishmarket, Sugoi Bento, St. Louis Deli, Ethel’s Grill and others. Typically a plate lunch comes with one or two mains, two scoops of rice and a scoop of macaroni.

A couple of other uniquely Hawaiian eats are saimin, which a Hawaiian version of ramen and manapua, which is a Hawaiian sized version of the Chinese char sui bao. Good old school saimin in Honolulu is found at Shiro’s Saimin or Palace Saimin. Hamura Saimin in Lihue, Kauai is legendary. Good manapua on Oahu is found at Royal Kitchen and Chun Wah Kam Noodle Factory.

Another uniquely Hawaiian eatery is the okazuya, a Japanese deli with Hawaiian sensibilities. Fukuya Delicatessen, Gulick Delicatessen, Nu’uanu Okazuya and Masa & Joyce Okazuya are some of the notable ones.

You will get a better feel for Hawaii, its people and food at places like these rather than standing in line with other tourists for 90 minutes for garlic shrimp that is no better than your local Italian restaurant's scampi.

13 hours ago, scottca075 said:

If you want to eat like a local, the food trucks mostly are not it. The "Plate Lunch" is a uniquely Hawaiian thing, it is  the Hawaiian equivalent of Street Food. Look at places like Helena's Hawaiian Food, Haili's Hawaiian Food, Young's Fishmarket, Sugoi Bento, St. Louis Deli, Ethel’s Grill and others. Typically a plate lunch comes with one or two mains, two scoops of rice and a scoop of macaroni.

A couple of other uniquely Hawaiian eats are saimin, which a Hawaiian version of ramen and manapua, which is a Hawaiian sized version of the Chinese char sui bao. Good old school saimin in Honolulu is found at Shiro’s Saimin or Palace Saimin. Hamura Saimin in Lihue, Kauai is legendary. Good manapua on Oahu is found at Royal Kitchen and Chun Wah Kam Noodle Factory.

Another uniquely Hawaiian eatery is the okazuya, a Japanese deli with Hawaiian sensibilities. Fukuya Delicatessen, Gulick Delicatessen, Nu’uanu Okazuya and Masa & Joyce Okazuya are some of the notable ones.

You will get a better feel for Hawaii, its people and food at places like these rather than standing in line with other tourists for 90 minutes for garlic shrimp that is no better than your local Italian restaurant's scampi.

Hi scottca075,

I love trying new foods while travelling, so I will be taking note of your suggestions.  Being of Chinese descent, I love char sui baos so I will be on the lookout for manapua now!  I've noticed you have provided lots of tips and recommendations on various questions posted on this Hawaii board.  You are a wealth of information which is greatly appreciated as we get closer to our September cruise to Hawaii.  Take care and thanks again!  

Shari

• Thanks 1