Live from RSSC Voyager sailing July 15, 2022

mdunne48

9 hours ago, mdunne48 said:

Working on it. Right now no Hendricks gin at the Observation or Horizon lounges.

Darn. I have a hard time believing this is a supply chain issue. Wonder if they are starting to phase out (slightly) higher booze. 

1 hour ago, macbest said:

Darn. I have a hard time believing this is a supply chain issue. Wonder if they are starting to phase out (slightly) higher booze. 

There isn't much that's  certain in life but IMO there is absolutely no chance that Regent will phase out high end booze.

On 7/22/2022 at 5:48 PM, macbest said:

Can you let me know if they have been able to restock Hendricks gin on board? Ie it is actually at the bar vs maybe just on a list? Appreciate it!

Not a drop of Hendrick’s gin on board the Voyager from multiple sources.

The sun never won today…….

We are only 60 miles from Nuuk. The ship is crawling along at 6 knots to arrive tomorrow morning at 7:00. The NAWC will host a welcome to Nuuk party on deck 12 at 6:00 am. Hopefully we get a break and the fog lifts so that we can enjoy the capital of Greenland. 

Here is an interesting tidbit. In Greenland harbor pilots are called “ice pilots”. Yes, even in the summer. 

The constant for today was the foghorn, albeit the blasts are now 2 minutes apart. 

Took in the movie, Uncharted, this afternoon in the Constellation Theatre. A big mistake…to think I wasted good napping time. 

We dined in the suite….amazing how fast our butler delivered the “goods”. Nothing to knock your socks off but we were not looking for refined dining. Quick, simple and the jeans were appropriate. 

The Mersey Beatles are tonight’s entertainment. In fact as I write this I’m in the theatre waiting for drink service to start. 😉  (let the bourbon roll) Hopefully they are as good as they were in their last show. 

On to NUUK!!!!

3A69FFF0-DE62-47BC-A101-1E5FD9395086.thumb.jpeg.c826f944e2159d83a3d559ef7f172030.jpeg0E5B1AEE-E8C8-4CA8-9C35-5DDED26EA8D2.thumb.jpeg.81a2419c55f4098af95677a8275a0420.jpeg846FDF62-E733-44D4-BB69-E92A34A491F8.thumb.jpeg.c334d5920bb76d10249a1a14e47ef260.jpeg

We are docked in Nuuk!!! A little scare early this morning as our friend the FOGHORN decided he needed some exercise at 4:15 am. I looked out our balcony window and couldn’t see 100 feet well at least I thought it was 100 feet but at 4 am who knows.

The NAWC held a small celebration party this morning at 6:00 am on deck 12 as the Voyager entered the Nuuk Harbor. Let’s say it was a brisk morning with a bite. Quite a bit of construction going on in this city of 18,000. At least a half dozen cranes dotted the skyline. One unexpected item was a series of high rise dwellings set at the foot of a mountain. I believe there were seven 10 to 12 story buildings in the complex. 

Our shipmates are leaving for their tours, only a few varieties available here. It is a sunny, pleasant morning. Temperatures are supposed to climb into the mid 50’s. We have a fjord boat excursion scheduled for 12:30. 

I think we will head into town this morning on the shuttle and get acquainted with downtown Nuuk.

Later. (photos in next message)

Farewell to Nuuk, Greenland what a very nice town!! There is a museum of the history and culture of Greenland Center Ed mostly on the Inuit people who are the natives of the northern polar regions. They took great care when they put this museum together. The artic acts dating back 700 years are very well presented and prepared. If you ever have the chance visit the museum in the “old town” part of Nuuk.

Internet issues on board is preventing me from uploading pictures. This is our first real problem with logging in and sending messages. Maybe after dinner…..

26CE07DD-74F3-4327-9F74-628B167B44A2.thumb.jpeg.6dfdfd526a5e309483e778e0c104e75d.jpeg

Another adventure from today was a trip on a water taxi, very fast taxi, through a fjord.  

Fantastic tour even though it got very cold, eye watering cold, up front on the railing.  Gorgeous scenery, up close calves of icebergs, waterfalls and MOUNTAINS!!  Once in a lifetime experience. I will copy the photos off of the Nikon tomorrow morning and post them. I literally took at least a hundred photos on the 1:30 tour. 

• Like 2

Okay internet on board is back….

After leaving Nuuk the Voyager immediately went into a fog bank. Everyone aboard knows that the ever present FOGHORN will be in constant exercise mode. Right now it is doing 2 minute repetitions cycles for 5 seconds. Does FOGHORN have a midnight curfew? Otherwise this is going to be one sleepless night. 

• Like 1

Day 11 - Qaqortoq 

We will not arrive until 12:00 with tendering operations starting at 1:00. We are scheduled for a late afternoon walk around Qaqortoq.

Many calved icebergs as we travel south along the coast of Greenland. 

Here are some pictures from yesterday’s excursion.

“The man driving his boat”43D750F5-58B7-418A-8117-0B5840C8932B.thumb.jpeg.79962835c25a981beaefecfbb36612d9.jpeg

”My new swimming pool”

DFAF249C-80FF-43DF-BCC7-3B479187390F.thumb.jpeg.e79216b13540e13a64c3a49d11e3e995.jpeg

“Rivers of water”

A35E89D0-F6B3-4C8E-8764-5F7B64509894.thumb.jpeg.f71886b5f7e167fffb3b49925d2a96ae.jpegC59250F5-416B-4C24-A79C-D88F5A95481C.thumb.jpeg.90031773377f03aec38875ca9ab45148.jpeg

8EE388F2-86F0-4A79-87D7-EB43249FFB34.jpeg

• Like 2

What a TERRIFIC day in NUUK. We did 3 excursions on this sunny, crisp day - a panoramic of about 2 hours (town is spread out) at 7:20 AM with a school principal as a guide; a wonderful home visit and a walk-about; and the "Kayak Show". The home visit was about an hour and was hosted by a retired teacher/great-grandmother who had written the song by which Greenlandic children learn to count to 10 in Greenlandic (I need more practice or a better ear). The "Kayak Show of 1 hour should have lasted 10 minutes! But I did get to see a real woman scrape a real sealskin to make a real Inuit "kayak".

• Like 1

Morning Trivia today. Observation Lounge has been jam-packed every day!

We have been 1st or second every day due, I think, to lucking into a great diversity of our team members: scientist, engineer, health care professional, 2 Brits and a "professional volunteer". We have a broad range of entertainment interests with lots of previous Regent trivia experience. As noted before, Margaret Lynn runs an  efficient Trivia.

8 hours ago, ssawjo said:

Are there any tours available at the pier?

Yes, there were helicopter and zodiac tours available in Qaqortoq from companies very close to where the tender berthed. I’m sure there might have been others as well.

Day 11 - Qaqortoq 

We arrived 3 hours late due to Mr. FOGHORN. The reduced visibility forced the Voyager to reduce speed on the transit from Nuuk to Qaqortoq. I believe that all tours were accomplished as planned but with altered starting times. 

Some interesting phenomena in Qaqortoq. They have an iceberg right in the middle of their harbor. That said iceberg calved while we were in port. Chunks of ice were all over the harbor this evening about 7:00 p.m. 

They also have numerous icebergs at the entrance of the harbor. I have some photos that I’ll post when I transfer the images. It was a great weather day. High around 50 degrees with little wind. Most of the day was spent under a heavy overcast but no rain. As we were leaving the skies brightened and the perennial overcast gave way to partly sunny skies.  Some night I’m going to stay up and catch a sunset at 11:30. 

Dinner was at Compass Rose. Service and food were excellent but I forgot my iPhone, bummer!! More food photos tomorrow……

The Little Opera Company had their final show of this cruise tonight. They are good at what they do. Outstanding voices! Just not my genre. I did appreciate their shows but I lack the knowledge or exposure to understand Opera. 

Good night……

• Like 1

Day 12 — Sailing Prince Christian Sound

Not going to happen…..fog last night and early this morning made approaching the fjord system unsafe. Visibility at 5:00 am was only a few feet. Yes, Mr. FOGHORN was very busy last night. So instead of some extraordinary sights we will have a sea day. 

Greenland is batting around .375 for ports visited. Great average for baseball but not cruising. However, the captain’s decisions were absolutely correct! Safety is paramount. 

This iceberg off our starboard is as big as the Voyager both in height and length. 

BEFDA6F3-D1CD-44B5-A41A-C2DFDF947491.thumb.jpeg.af5cb701f90434418e1617568b453646.jpeg

It is a cold, windy morning onboard Voyager. Deck 12 has been roped off due to the high winds. The NAWC was able to get a few laps in before they closed access to the deck. We may have to move indoors this afternoon to achieve our goals.